Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-25-2011, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by tomilu
Do you suppose this is a converted parlor cabinet?

http://wichita.craigslist.org/atq/2462202872.html

Tommie
Looks like one to me!
Me too. Very pretty, but kinda pricey.
Tommie
Old 06-25-2011, 12:39 PM

Here is the head. I am going to try to show what the bobbin area looks like. I also have this round piece. I don't know what I am missing but I bet it is a lot.
I ordered a manual from some place in West Virginia and hope it will answer some questions for me.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-216573.jpe   attachment-216574.jpe   attachment-216575.jpe  
Old 06-25-2011, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Okay, I'm blaming you guys on my latest find.
While walking the dog this morning, I'm strolling around the neighborhood checking out the garage deals. As I'm walking down the street, I spot a 401A sitting off to the side. So, of course I pick up my pace. The lady was selling it for $10 without the power cord; it did have the foot petal cord. She was very apologetic that it didn't have the cord. I told her that is ok, I'll still take it. After I got home, I dug through my discarded motors box and pull out a cord with the correct adapter. I'm in business!

I thank whoever talked about the sewing lid holding the box of attachments. I really dig the way that contraption operates and tucks away nicely.

See Nancy, I now have two machines that I will not be treadling.
:-)
You can get a manual but the machine comes with instructions on the cover plates. The thread diagram is on the nose door and the stitch selection info is on the door under the spool holders. Free manual:http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...ng-machine.pdf free service manual - it starts at page 125 and goes until the end: http://parts.singerco.com/IPsvcManuals/306W25.pdf I found good bobbins, attachments, wires, tri-flo oil at sewclassic and she has good prices and good service. Jenny has a lot of info about the machines on her site.
I just finish reading her site. She does have a wealth of information! And a link to the free manual! Another machine to play with the decorative stitches and more options for finishing off my bindings. I'm loving these vintage beauties.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by skaduzy
Here is the head. I am going to try to show what the bobbin area looks like. I also have this round piece. I don't know what I am missing but I bet it is a lot.
I ordered a manual from some place in West Virginia and hope it will answer some questions for me.
Sorry I can not help you but your machine is very nice looking. Kathie
Old 06-25-2011, 01:31 PM

Very cool 401. You sure stole it for $10!

Where did you find the serial number?

The 401 that I picked up yesterday is still in the car but as I was purchasing it, I couldn't find the serial number. I think I may have to take the bottom screws off or something. :-D :thumbup:
Old 06-25-2011, 01:55 PM

I just got home from a day of garage sales and I picked up a beautiful Viking 19E (I'll post photos later). The case and original accessory box are in very good condition but it did not have a manual w/it. I've found where I can pay for one in PDF format, but thought I'd check to see if anyone else had a source. She is so pretty.

Thanks for your help.
Marie
Old 06-25-2011, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme

Very cool 401. You sure stole it for $10!

Where did you find the serial number?

The 401 that I picked up yesterday is still in the car but as I was purchasing it, I couldn't find the serial number. I think I may have to take the bottom screws off or something. :-D :thumbup:
Yes, you have to take the bottom off. The serial number is found on the bottom left. I'm still cleaning the machine up.
This was to be a day of working on a quilt., but this is more interesting! :D
Attached Thumbnails attachment-216635.jpe  
Old 06-25-2011, 02:24 PM

[quote=vintagemotif][quote=

Yes, you have to take the bottom off. The serial number is found on the bottom left. I'm still cleaning the machine up.
This was to be a day of working on a quilt., but this is more interesting! :D[/quote]

Oh, thank you. LOL, and I see that 'fun' awaits me when I take the bottom off!! I can tell mine has been sitting around for a while and there is one rubber piece that is all cracked. It will have to be replaced but I am sure that is not pricey. What year was yours commissioned to be manufactured?
Old 06-25-2011, 02:44 PM

I just acquired a Necchi Model 536FB, other number found on machine 10534. It sews great and everything seems to be fine, except for the drop-feed knob. It has two options, for straight sewing put on the part of the dial with broken lines, and for the feed dogs put it on the part of the dial that has a figure similar to tic, tac, toe. It is now on straight sewing (it came that way), the problem is that the knob will not move. I don't see how you could oil this. They do have a screw on the side of the knob. I tried to unloosen it, but cannot budge it. Does anyone have any suggestions for my dilema? Also, how can I find out what year this machine was made. I went online to the Necchi site, but could not find out any information. Would appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks,

Lucy
Old 06-25-2011, 02:57 PM
Power Poster

[quote=SewExtreme][quote=vintagemotif]
Originally Posted by

This was to be a day of working on a quilt., but this is more interesting! :D[/quote

Oh, thank you. LOL, and I see that 'fun' awaits me when I take the bottom off!! I can tell mine has been sitting around for a while and there is one rubber piece that is all cracked. It will have to be replaced but I am sure that is not pricey. What year was yours commissioned to be manufactured?
Jenny at www.sewclassic.com has the little rubber feet:
"Rubber cushions for the bottom of the Singer 401 401A 403 403A 404 500 500A 503 503A The 600 and 700 series Touch & Sew models - PRICED INDIVIDUALLY
Sale Price: $0.89"

- you have to make sure she knows they are for the machine not the foot control (she has them as well) I got some and they were very much an improvement for my machine.