Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-15-2011, 06:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mollie'sMom
No one has answered yet. Even PM'ed Billy. Guessed no one ever heard of it. Am not sure about how to post a pic. but will try . gimme a min.
Sorry I havent got to my PM's yet, there are 48 of them and I am fixing to whittle them down a little before bed.

Billy
Old 06-15-2011, 06:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mollie'sMom
Am trying to get pics off phone. 1st pic of very small cab. only 22" wide.2nd pic of machine Third shows how small it is next to redeye. Cannot see name on machine except to shine light sideways. Then can read Elmira. Spent 6 hours on puter yesterday looking for info on this thing. Is missing some parts and I don't know what to order. Am getting flustrated. Having hot flashes. Could be is 102* here today. Does anyone know where to find info on Miss Elmira? :)
National

Billy
Old 06-15-2011, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by miriam
Ok, I'd have to get all three of those machines! The 401 is a great machine for using decorative stitches if you get the cams - you don't need the cabinet for it to sit flat on the table. The White Rotary is really a pretty machine - could be cleaned up really nice. The Singer 27 looks really great too!

Nancy[/quote

Nancy, that has a good variety of built in stitches if the stitch selector works - you do have to take time to figure out the system
Miriam, are you saying that the 401 stitches decorative stitches without cams? I thought all the 400's and 500's had to have cams to stitch decorative stitches? My 503a won't even stitch a straight stitch without the '0' cam. I know the 401 and 501 are the top of the lines for that series of machines.

Nancy
Nancy, I just had that discussion w/the OSMG this past weekend. That decorative stitching is built into the 401A and you dial to 'Special feature', when you want to use the other cams. I thought like you that the cams were need.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by wannaquilt1
I am getting my moms Morse 4100 fotomatic in July but she doesn't have the manual. does anyone know where i can get one? Also, does anyone use this machine for the actual quilting of their quilt or is it only good for piecing? I don't know if I can get away with using this or if I should get a Janome 6500....
I use to have a vintage Morse Deluxe Zig Zag machine. I gave it to a friend. It still works perfectly. They take a class 15 bobbin, so the bobbins are readily available, a regular 15 x 1 needle, but the manuals may be hard to find unless someone can make you a copy of a manual they have. Morse is actually a badged name, not a manufacturer so there may be many machines like yours, which means any manual for a machine similar to your machine would do. My Morse was from the 1950's, it belonged to an Aunt of mine - This was before I got in vintage machines! Sorry I am not much help.

Nancy
Old 06-15-2011, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by cherrybsixty
Nancy, that has a good variety of built in stitches if the stitch selector works - you do have to take time to figure out the system

Miriam, are you saying that the 401 stitches decorative stitches without cams? I thought all the 400's and 500's had to have cams to stitch decorative stitches? My 503a won't even stitch a straight stitch without the '0' cam. I know the 401 and 501 are the top of the lines for that series of machines.

Nancy

Nancy, I just had that discussion w/the OSMG this past weekend. That decorative stitching is built into the 401A and you dial to 'Special feature', when you want to use the other cams. I thought like you that the cams were need.
Wow, I may have to find a 401a! I have the 503a, which I think is the prettiest of the 400/500 series, but you can't even sew a regular stitch without the '0' cam! At least that is what I was told when I got this machine! I have never tried to sew without a cam - I am afraid I'd ruin this machine.

Nancy
Old 06-15-2011, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Dottie Bug
would love that machine . but to far for me at this time. here is my machines a 1928 101, and a 1947 15-90 dottie bug
DottieBug, you have a very nice 101, and 15-90! Enjoy them!

Nancy
Old 06-15-2011, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by dirty1mom
I won the bid at Shopgoodwill.com! I know nothing about this machine. But I thought it looked really cool and bid on it. Got it for $6.00 plus shipping - total of $23.68. Not bad. I think I might just be getting a little pathetic, now I am buying based on looks!
Well it is a cute machine for sure! What is the name on the machine?

Nancy
Old 06-15-2011, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by purplefiend
I have the Chinese made repro hand crank and I don't really like it, since I have an original Singer hand crank; the differences between the 2 are quite noticeable. The handle on the repro doesn't feel as solid as the original. The grandkids agree with me.
Sharon can you post a picture of the Chinese made HC? I faintly remember what they look like, but would like to see it again.

Nancy
Yes Ma'am! here it is.

Chinese made hand crank, showing decal.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]212061[/ATTACH]

end view of Chinese hand crank.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]212062[/ATTACH]

original Singer hand crank came with my 1936 Singer 201k
[ATTACH=CONFIG]212063[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-212055.jpe   attachment-212056.jpe   attachment-212057.jpe  
Old 06-15-2011, 07:59 PM

Mollie'smom, I posted last night but it got lost. As almost everyone has said, your machine looks like a National Paveway. My little Leader is a 1928 and looks very similar. My book as a big boxed P in it. Cute little things, aren't they.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-212060.jpe  
Old 06-15-2011, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by purplefiend
Originally Posted by jljack
Sheryl, can you answer my question about re-treadle-ing my 66? It's a page back. Thanks!!
I'm not Sheryl, but I can answer your question.
As long as your handwheel has a deep grove in it, you can treadle it. I have 2 Singers that were once electric machines that work wonderfully as treadles. A 15-90 and 237 zig zag.
Pictures here: http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...45965719wvBDUq

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...45965719RNXVPG
Hey Purple!! Thanks for the photos. The main part of my question was if we can just build a small open platform for the machine to rest on, on top of a flat table top, then router holes through the table top for the belt to travel through. I already plan on taking the motor off...it's got a newer motor and newer case that it's coming in. I highly suspect that it was "modernized" with motor and newer case at some time, because it's a 1909. I can see that the handwheel has a groove, because it's motor is belt drive. I'll take pictures when I get the machine, and maybe you would be willing to assist me with advice on this project? I'd sure appreciate it.
I would suggest that you join www.treadleon.net There is lots of good information that will show you how to do what you
are asking about. I never had to drill any holes for my machines as I have 3 Singer treadle cabinets. So I have no personal experience with doing it myself, not a woodworking gal, I handle the machines.
The following link shows you how to adapt a tabletop so that you can put a treadle machine in/on it.

http://www.treadleon.net/woodshop/tr...readletop.html

I'd like to see it when you're done.
Sharon W. in Texas