Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-15-2011, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mollie'sMom
Am trying to get pics off phone. 1st pic of very small cab. only 22" wide.2nd pic of machine Third shows how small it is next to redeye. Cannot see name on machine except to shine light sideways. Then can read Elmira. Spent 6 hours on puter yesterday looking for info on this thing. Is missing some parts and I don't know what to order. Am getting flustrated. Having hot flashes. Could be is 102* here today. Does anyone know where to find info on Miss Elmira? :)
Your Elmira looks like the same general model as my Richmond treadle machine. Mine belonged to my great-grandmother and based on information from this board I believe it was an Eldredge machine manufactured by National between 1890 and 1900. It was a badged machine sold by the Charles William Stores. It takes a longer Eldredge needle but mine works fine with a standard needle that I don't insert all the way to the top. The shuttle on mine is stamped (in very small letters) with Eldredge, so you might check there for a clue. Mine is pictured on page 983.

ep
Old 06-15-2011, 01:52 PM

Hi all, I'm new here! I am looking at purchasing a Singer 127 Treadle Machine and I want to look for some accessories to go with it. I know that there are Singer Puzzle Boxes available but I am having trouble finding which ones work with that machine. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 06-15-2011, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by purplefiend
Originally Posted by dirty1mom
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Anyone in the SF Bay Area looking for a free Singer 15-90- and stool? That Singer 15-90 can be used in treadle, and you don't need to change the wheel to a spoke wheel.

I find this post amusing. Anyhow, it will all be free by end of week.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/atq/2439924460.html
Not a very good reason to hurt a sewing machine! When I was a kid if we looked at the machine the wrong way Mom yelled. And heaven help us if we touched the "good" sewing scissors! My son has been known to tell his friends (loudly) not to touch my sewing stuff!
We were threatened with death and destruction if we even thought of touching Mom's machine and any sewing related
items. What is with today's parents??? Why can't they just say NO!!!??? OMG somebody go rescue that machine before she throws it out.(shakes head several times)
:roll:
I was hoping someone else would do that for me. I was in that direction this weekend, picked up the Davis NVF. It is about a 50 minute drive for me to go rescue this machine. I showed the post to my husband today, and he said go get it. I told him that I would wait a couple of days to see if anyone else wants it. Which is why I posted the heads up here. I do hope someone grabs this nice machine, cabinet, and stool.
I am interested in this machine, have replied and haven't heard back. Since posting a question on this thread about my featherweight about a month or so ago, I have been having a good time reading old posts, but am only up to about page183! Love looking at all your old machines and am finding myself increasingly drawn in........!!!!
Old 06-15-2011, 03:03 PM

Me too
Old 06-15-2011, 03:24 PM

Your Elmira looks like the same general model as my Richmond treadle machine. Mine belonged to my great-grandmother and based on information from this board I believe it was an Eldredge machine manufactured by National between 1890 and 1900. It was a badged machine sold by the Charles William Stores. It takes a longer Eldredge needle but mine works fine with a standard needle that I don't insert all the way to the top. The shuttle on mine is stamped (in very small letters) with Eldredge, so you might check there for a clue. Mine is pictured on page 983.

ep[/quote]

This one does look very much like yours. the decals are different,but the machine itself looks the same. Am getting closer! I still dont find anything that says it's an Elmira. Would a small sewing shop badge their own and there be only a few?
Old 06-15-2011, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by patte00
this looks beautiful to me - I too have several old machines and have gently worked on them - one is similar to yours but I do not have a key to the "lid" - any one know where to find one?
A small screwdriver will work. Kathie
Old 06-15-2011, 03:40 PM

[

ep[/quote]

Am missing the shuttle, so will miss that clue.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:40 PM

I found this treadle at a second hand store a few weeks back - and it's in bad shape. I'm personally not looking for one since my mother in law said that her mother's treadles is mine whenever I am ready to take it buuuuut...
I posted pics in the Main area but someone suggested I post in the Vintage Machine thread.. so here goes...

I called the second hand store and it IS still there.
It's in Huntsville, AL
The wood is in bad shape. If you ask me it looks like it was either abused, overused or in a flood lol. The head looks like it has seen better days. The rest of it - the foot pedal part looked nice.

Here's some pics if anyone is actually interested in her. Poor old gal. just sitting there unloved because she is ugly lol.

I took pictures of her birthday code but they didn't come out :(
If you are interested in trying to figure out her birthdate from my poor picture, I'll post it but it's pretty rough. Looks like it's 7 numbers starting with a 67... somethingsomethingsomething...
Attached Thumbnails attachment-211955.jpe   attachment-211956.jpe   attachment-211957.jpe  
Old 06-15-2011, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by treadlep
Originally Posted by Mollie'sMom
Am trying to get pics off phone. 1st pic of very small cab. only 22" wide.2nd pic of machine Third shows how small it is next to redeye. Cannot see name on machine except to shine light sideways. Then can read Elmira. Spent 6 hours on puter yesterday looking for info on this thing. Is missing some parts and I don't know what to order. Am getting flustrated. Having hot flashes. Could be is 102* here today. Does anyone know where to find info on Miss Elmira? :)

ep
Ok Mollie'smom, look at this ISMACS site. The first column lists the manufacturer, scroll down the second column until you get to the 'E's and you will see Elmira listed with National as the manufacturer. It takes a 20 x 1 needle, or a Boye 14.

Nancy

http://www.ismacs.net/needle_and_sha...eedle-list.pdf
Old 06-15-2011, 06:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric
I found this treadle at a second hand store a few weeks back - and it's in bad shape. I'm personally not looking for one since my mother in law said that her mother's treadles is mine whenever I am ready to take it buuuuut...
I posted pics in the Main area but someone suggested I post in the Vintage Machine thread.. so here goes...

I called the second hand store and it IS still there.
It's in Huntsville, AL
The wood is in bad shape. If you ask me it looks like it was either abused, overused or in a flood lol. The head looks like it has seen better days. The rest of it - the foot pedal part looked nice.

Here's some pics if anyone is actually interested in her. Poor old gal. just sitting there unloved because she is ugly lol.

I took pictures of her birthday code but they didn't come out :(
If you are interested in trying to figure out her birthdate from my poor picture, I'll post it but it's pretty rough. Looks like it's 7 numbers starting with a 67... somethingsomethingsomething...
Well if its any consolation I have seen worse and have fixed worse!! If the serial is starting out like that then it is a pre 1900 model 27. You should go get it for the heck of it and play with that one and get it back running again.

Billy