Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-15-2011, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mollie'sMom
I did not know there were other crazy people in this world like me and then I come upon this board
Mollie's Mom is the dog in your avatar a Westie or a Cairn terrier? I had a wheaten(blonde) cairn Terrier and now have a Westie.
Thanks,
Sharon W. in Texas
Old 06-15-2011, 08:23 PM

Well I got the belt for my Singer 9W. And I don't know how to put it on! Can someone please direct me? I also am looking for a manual for it.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by cherrybsixty
Nancy, that has a good variety of built in stitches if the stitch selector works - you do have to take time to figure out the system

Miriam, are you saying that the 401 stitches decorative stitches without cams? I thought all the 400's and 500's had to have cams to stitch decorative stitches? My 503a won't even stitch a straight stitch without the '0' cam. I know the 401 and 501 are the top of the lines for that series of machines.

Nancy
You should keep a cam in the machine , helps to keep the doohicky that the cams go into from getting stuck. I had a 503 for about 6 months and really liked it. I gave it to a new sewist that I was teaching and she just loved it.
Sharon W. in Texas
Nancy, I just had that discussion w/the OSMG this past weekend. That decorative stitching is built into the 401A and you dial to 'Special feature', when you want to use the other cams. I thought like you that the cams were need.
Wow, I may have to find a 401a! I have the 503a, which I think is the prettiest of the 400/500 series, but you can't even sew a regular stitch without the '0' cam! At least that is what I was told when I got this machine! I have never tried to sew without a cam - I am afraid I'd ruin this machine.

Nancy
Old 06-15-2011, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Lori Peercy
Well I got the belt for my Singer 9W. And I don't know how to put it on! Can someone please direct me? I also am looking for a manual for it.
You thread it through the holes for the belt in the cabinet. Make sure that you put a clothespin on the one end so that it stays put while you're threading the rest of it through the treadle wheel,belt guide and back up through the hand wheel.
You'll have to shorten the belt, they are too long when you buy them.
Here's more directions on the Treadleon website.
http://www.treadleon.net/sewingmachi...eadlebelt.html

Also a youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIGuctAaRDc

Sharon W. in Texas
Old 06-16-2011, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Originally Posted by Lori Peercy
You thread it through the holes for the belt in the cabinet. Make sure that you put a clothespin on the one end so that it stays put while you're threading the rest of it through the treadle wheel,belt guide and back up through the hand wheel.
You'll have to shorten the belt, they are too long when you buy them.
Here's more directions on the Treadleon website.
http://www.treadleon.net/sewingmachi...eadlebelt.html

Also a youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIGuctAaRDc

Sharon W. in Texas
Did you tell her about the dental floss? It is easier and faster to sew the belt together with dental floss. It holds well. Purplefiend, Sharon, told us about it. Next day, all my belts had that metal staple gone and floss in place...no clanking anymore. :)
Old 06-16-2011, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by Lucky Patsy's "Mom"
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by purplefiend
Originally Posted by dirty1mom
Anyone in the SF Bay Area looking for a free Singer 15-90- and stool? That Singer 15-90 can be used in treadle, and you don't need to change the wheel to a spoke wheel.

I find this post amusing. Anyhow, it will all be free by end of week.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/atq/2439924460.html
Not a very good reason to hurt a sewing machine! When I was a kid if we looked at the machine the wrong way Mom yelled. And heaven help us if we touched the "good" sewing scissors! My son has been known to tell his friends (loudly) not to touch my sewing stuff!
We were threatened with death and destruction if we even thought of touching Mom's machine and any sewing related
items. What is with today's parents??? Why can't they just say NO!!!??? OMG somebody go rescue that machine before she throws it out.(shakes head several times)
:roll:
I was hoping someone else would do that for me. I was in that direction this weekend, picked up the Davis NVF. It is about a 50 minute drive for me to go rescue this machine. I showed the post to my husband today, and he said go get it. I told him that I would wait a couple of days to see if anyone else wants it. Which is why I posted the heads up here. I do hope someone grabs this nice machine, cabinet, and stool.
I am interested in this machine, have replied and haven't heard back. Since posting a question on this thread about my featherweight about a month or so ago, I have been having a good time reading old posts, but am only up to about page183! Love looking at all your old machines and am finding myself increasingly drawn in........!!!!
Did that person ever reply? I do hope you get the machine!
Old 06-16-2011, 01:57 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by wannaquilt1
I am getting my moms Morse 4100 fotomatic in July but she doesn't have the manual. does anyone know where i can get one? Also, does anyone use this machine for the actual quilting of their quilt or is it only good for piecing? I don't know if I can get away with using this or if I should get a Janome 6500....
I use to have a vintage Morse Deluxe Zig Zag machine. I gave it to a friend. It still works perfectly. They take a class 15 bobbin, so the bobbins are readily available, a regular 15 x 1 needle, but the manuals may be hard to find unless someone can make you a copy of a manual they have. Morse is actually a badged name, not a manufacturer so there may be many machines like yours, which means any manual for a machine similar to your machine would do. My Morse was from the 1950's, it belonged to an Aunt of mine - This was before I got in vintage machines! Sorry I am not much help.

Nancy
Those are a whole lot better than anything new - I just about quit sewing when I had a NEW Janome... Before I got the Janome, I borrowed a Japanese machine looked like that with a different badge - I didn't like the badged Japanese machine as much as my beloved Elna that was broken but it was not bad to use at all. I never had a manual and never needed one. It did what I needed it to do. The stitches were just fine. On the other hand my mom got some kind of Japanese sewing machine that was a cheap piece of junk in the mid 1960s and she got rid of it shortly. I think the Morris is pretty good from what I've seen. Anyway all that to say those old vintage Japanese machines aren't Elna, Viking or Bernina or top of the line Singer, but that Morris will work just fine - it's been on my list to pick up when one comes up cheap on CL... I'm sure your mom took great care of it so you will have a very nice machine. Did you learn on it?
Old 06-16-2011, 04:05 AM
Banned

Did you tell her about the dental floss? It is easier and faster to sew the belt together with dental floss. It holds well. Purplefiend, Sharon, told us about it. Next day, all my belts had that metal staple gone and floss in place...no clanking anymore. :)
I am sewing my belts together also, I dont mind the clanking but the staples break after so many machine changes that it is a lot easier to sew it up and its a lot less stress on the belt.

Billy
Old 06-16-2011, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by dirty1mom
I won the bid at Shopgoodwill.com! I know nothing about this machine. But I thought it looked really cool and bid on it. Got it for $6.00 plus shipping - total of $23.68. Not bad. I think I might just be getting a little pathetic, now I am buying based on looks!
Well it is a cute machine for sure! What is the name on the machine?

Nancy
The name is Coronado.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
looks like a 503 to me - only has the one knob on top - my DIL LOVES hers - her mom said she hated to sew - until I gave her a 503... I have to admit I didn't think she would sew so I gave her one I scrapped together for $5 - it was missing the doors and only had a few cams... She got her hands on it and she says she fell in love. Then I tried to trade her a 401 and she said NO WAY. She named the 503 Margaret after her grandma. DIL said "She is old and missing parts but she still gets things done." And she says "She was very fashionable in her day." The machine or the grandma??? Gotta love that gal!!! I keep giving her cams and a buttonholer for gifts. She quilted her old child hood t-shirts together one day and was so excited.
Miriam, what a nice story! I also love my 503a, but I thought I had read somewhere to never sew without a cam in the machine? I have never tried to even sew a straight stitch without the '0' cam. Are you sure the 503a can sew a straight stitch with no cam inserted at all?

Nancy