Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-22-2011, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
Originally Posted by quilt addict
You all will be proud of me. The grub screw holes in my Singer 319 somehow stripped out when I removed the screws to take the machine out of the table I refinished. I bought a new thread tapping die at Lowes and made new threads in the holes and bought matching screws....not original of course, but it's in the table and works. Woohoo! I was kind of sweating this one and was worried I'd really mess it up. I gave my 319 a kerosene bath today which cleaned it up some what.
Good for you Candance! Have you posted pictures yet?
Of the machine and refinished table, but not together. I tried sewing on the 319 and the bobbin thread won't pick up which is scaring me that it needs a timing adjustment:<
You do have the right needle? 206x13 is the number I think.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by grayhare
Can anyone tell me about this machine.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/atq/2559299032.html
Thank you
Seems Brandt said all about this machine in the CLs write-up.

It's a cute little "Lark", but this machine just doesn't sing for me, even at $25.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by melinda1962
I understand the reluctance of letting go of some of our machines. My SIL wanted to borrow a machine to learn to sew on earlier this week. I tried to talk myself in to letting her borrow a 15 clone, or something else vintage, but instead she got an Elna Elnita 250 that I got from a pawn shop 15+ years ago for $30. My "babies" are mostly gifts or hand me downs. My DH wanted to know why she got that machine, and I said it is a good one for any fabric, and does lots of stuff. It is actually the one I keep heavy dutied up for letter jackets and such. She wanted to hem pants, etc. so I figured it would work good for her.
This I can relate to. A coworker mentioned that she was sewing by hand and needed to get a machine to sew some pillows on. I offered to loan her my 2 year old kenmore. I am taking it to work today. She will get some lessons on threading and oiling along with the manual.
The vintage babies are more valuable (not financially speaking) to me!
:-)
Old 08-23-2011, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by grayhare
Can anyone tell me about this machine.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/atq/2559299032.html
Thank you
Seems Brandt said all about this machine in the CLs write-up.

It's a cute little "Lark", but this machine just doesn't sing for me, even at $25.
I don't know ..... she's a little cutie and I would snap her up for $25. The only concern I would have (assuming everything works correctly) is the fact that once a treadle is electrified you can no longer utilize the bobbin winder (unless there is a way to do it that I don't know about).
Old 08-23-2011, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by wesing
Don't ask me why, but I have been admiring the little Singer 185 for a while now. I found one on CL and after a long drive today I now own one in very good condition. The case is a bit scruffy, but I can live with that. Darren
You will like this lttle one. The base seems to be in pretty good condition, which is rare for these machines.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:26 AM

You all will be proud of me. The grub screw holes in my Singer 319 somehow stripped out when I removed the screws to take the machine out of the table I refinished. I bought a new thread tapping die at Lowes and made new threads in the holes and bought matching screws....not original of course, but it's in the table and works. Woohoo! I was kind of sweating this one and was worried I'd really mess it up. I gave my 319 a kerosene bath today which cleaned it up some what.
Of the machine and refinished table, but not together. I tried sewing on the 319 and the bobbin thread won't pick up which is scaring me that it needs a timing adjustment:<

Yes, the right needle, but the bobbin thread isn't picking up. I don't know when I'll have time to mess with it. I start night class tonight and I've been messing with this machine and my 301 for over a week to get them running!
Old 08-23-2011, 06:34 AM

Does anyone know what year this machine is? i can't find one on the internet anywhere like this. how much it might be worth?
Old 08-23-2011, 06:39 AM

Does anyone know what year this machine is? i can't find one on the internet anywhere like this. how much it might be worth?
Attached Thumbnails attachment-245689.bmp   attachment-245690.bmp  
Old 08-23-2011, 06:58 AM
Power Poster

Yes, the right needle, but the bobbin thread isn't picking up. I don't know when I'll have time to mess with it. I start night class tonight and I've been messing with this machine and my 301 for over a week to get them running!
You might try taking apart the throat plate then try putting it all back together as seen in your owner's manual sometimes that helps a 301 - maybe your 319 has to go a certain way, too. If the needle, thread and shuttle ARE engaging at all it is NOT timing - it could be a burr. (If you open up the throat plate & take off the feed dogs it is easier to watch the thread and the needle closely.) There has been discussion on here about burrs. Does the thread pass through the tension way too tight? If the hook misses the needle's eye it would be timing. If the needle is the wrong length - size matters - some of the machines take a different from normal length needle and they won't work at all. If the needle is in backwards it won't work. If the needle is threaded the wrong direction it won't work. If the tension is too tight it won't work right - same as too loose. This video can help you know if it is timing. I think the part where he tested it is where I would start with your machine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHhlHbUYwV8
Old 08-23-2011, 07:18 AM

Thanks, Miriam but I think it's the timing. I will watch the video because although I've sent them to the shop in the past I think I'm ready to tackle it myself. The only other thing I can think of is that this machine has been "retimed" to take standard needles, not the 206 x 13 it's supposed to use. I've just spent a small fortune on these needles so darn it, I want to use them!