Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-03-2011, 08:36 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by irishrose
Miriam, I still might want one of those tables when my son is traveling your way. It is bigger than I had imagined so I need to think about it. Right now my 301 is in a Kenmore cabinet I picked up for $1.

As far as the pad staying on - I found a package of heavy duty Velcro that is one side stick on and one side sew on. A strip of that on both the top and bottom of the slide on pad and it wouldn't be going anywhere.
Would the velcro melt if it got ironed?
Old 09-03-2011, 09:27 AM

An iron probably wouldn't do much for the sticky side, but it's only an inch wide, so if you put it close the edge, you could avoid it. What are you going to use to waterproof the pad? A steam iron or spray starch puts down a lot of moisture.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:35 AM
Power Poster

An iron probably wouldn't do much for the sticky side, but it's only an inch wide, so if you put it close the edge, you could avoid it. What are going to use to waterproof the pad? A steam iron or spray starch puts down a lot of moisture.
good question - would a pad with teflon do?
Old 09-03-2011, 09:41 AM
Power Poster

An iron probably wouldn't do much for the sticky side, but it's only an inch wide, so if you put it close the edge, you could avoid it. What are going to use to waterproof the pad? A steam iron or spray starch puts down a lot of moisture.
very good question - would a pad with teflon do? Would wet damage the laminate table top or the pad? I was concerned about heat. A pad could come off and dry after use I guess. DH suggested using the snaps you use on a boat to keep it steady - they would screw on to the table then snaps go on the fabric.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:08 AM

good question - would a pad with teflon do?[/quote]

I don't think so. Teflon reflects heat back, but lets moisture through. Hmm, something waterproof and not damaged by heat??? I wonder if the Mylar pads sold for cold weather campers are waterproof. A huge piece of the plastic sold for pressing Wonder Under? I see mold growing easily without ventilation.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:19 AM
Power Poster

I'll have to look at the Mylar pads would, they be big enough?
Old 09-03-2011, 10:33 AM

They're big enough to wrap a six foot human, but I don't know if they're waterproof or what the iron will do to them. I think it's more space age stuff, so it should be heatproof.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:49 AM

You could place a piece of lexan plastic on the top of the table before the pad and it would take the heat + the moisture. It would need to be 1/4" thick and you can get it at a glass shop. They use it for race car windshields so it's pretty tough stuff. I use a piece to put on top of a sewing cabinet when I want to use a portable machine and not scratch the finish of the cabinet. Works great.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:50 AM
Power Poster

I would want to be sure of the heat. Nothing like melting plastic to stink up a place or gunk out the whole works. Joann had some quilted Teflon. I wonder if that would do the job. I can see how this would be a very nice table done up right. An ironing board takes up space too. The table could be used to cut, sew and iron. How do the old wooden ironing boards keep from mold and mildew? I have one but it has a Teflon cover.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
You could place a piece of lexan plastic on the top of the table before the pad and it would take the heat + the moisture. It would need to be 1/4" thick and you can get it at a glass shop. They use it for race car windshields so it's pretty tough stuff. I use a piece to put on top of a sewing cabinet when I want to use a portable machine and not scratch the finish of the cabinet. Works great.
Wouldn't the laminate table top be ok with moisture but not heat? What about the quilted Teflon fabric at Joann?