Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 11-14-2011, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by auniqueview View Post
You are my hero. I read 32 or 33 machines and started really laughing out loud. I am almost afraid to look at machines, especially with cabinets, these days....and I only have five cabinets sitting around taking up space, and maybe a couple more machines, but they seem to breed. A friend has already suggested I open a museum. Now, it wouldn't be so bad, but I also had to bring in another cedar chest, a quilt rack.....you get the idea. And I used to think how much wasted space I had, lol.
Well, your 'hero' certainly has a serious addiction but not planning on rehabilitation (unless it's rehabing a cabinet, lol) I just love the old machines and will always bring another one home. My husband is the best because he's always finding them and giving me a call asking if I want them. He can clean them up and get them running like new and he even rehabs the cabinets too. He had to take the top off a Davis cabinet and attach it to a singer cabinet and irons so I could use my Davis VF. He's a wood genius and loves a good challenge, thank God. I will be collecting machines until they plant me and the bad thing is we raised three daughters and not a one of them give a rats rear about sewing. Go figure.... I'm hoping at least one of my grandsons marries a girl that would love to learn and continue to love and care for the old ladies (including me) lol
Old 11-14-2011, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
So that is what is wrong with me, I have sewind machine oil in my blood no wonder I keep bringing these machines home.
Same here!!! Once it gets on your hands....watch out!! Instant addiction!! LOL
Old 11-14-2011, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
I have a 503 but not any cams. What I need is for a kind soul to post a couple pictures - one from the topp, if possible - so I know waht to look for on EBay and buy the right ones and not just some that I think look good. I do have a amnual but zero pictures of ther cams needed for the fancy stitches. Thanks in advance. ~ Chris
Good picture here. Very common, and usually inexpensive, except for the "0" cam.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny View Post
Nice Elna Grasshopper!! Very simple to use; just play around with it a bit and you'll see.
This machine is so cute, you almost think it's a toy when you first see it. I fell in love the minute I bent down and looked at it sitting on the driveway. Funny thing.....the man said "we had this sold, but couldn't get it to run, so he passed it up. Then my son came in and said you had to press this lever to make it run." Thanks, lol....now I know, and it runs, and it's MINE. Hey, I would have bought it and tried to make it run. Love makes a sucker out of you, lol.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny View Post
Good picture here. Very common, and usually inexpensive, except for the "0" cam.
Where is the picture or the link to it? What is the "0" cam? Is it the one in the machine already?
Old 11-14-2011, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by grayhare View Post
Very nice and the sewing table/box is interesting.
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2688634644.html
Oh, that is very nice!! I have never seen a sewing box on legs like that, and the fact that it matches is too cool.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by grayhare View Post
Annamaria!!! Stop!!! LOL It's like chumming in a lake....fishes swarm!!
Old 11-14-2011, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by auniqueview View Post
My newest machine. I couldn't resist it. I just wish I knew how to operate it, lol.

Cute machine. I have an Elna Supermatic, also green but a little larger and more rounded body than this one. I have had it for about 2 years, but I haven't taken the time to do anything with it.
Ray White is the guy to go to for Elna parts....he was previously an Elna dealer and repairman, and has a website where you can get stuff for these old ladies!
Old 11-14-2011, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post

As to the new look of the board and features, I love it. I spent a couple of days playing with settings and customizing my profile page. My son, the computer geek, states that this was long overdue for many reasons, but mostly for security. He also stated that lots of money went into making this new board; he was very impressed.
Well then! If you like it, I like it!
Old 11-14-2011, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
Where is the picture or the link to it? What is the "0" cam? Is it the one in the machine already?
http://www.etsy.com/listing/68965208...its-400-series

Sorry--I guess I'm getting too old for all this!!
The 403 and 503 take a 0 cam to do ZZ stitch--the 500 and 401 have this stitch built in.