Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-29-2011, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by quilt addict
I feel REEEEAAAAALLLY Guilty....but I did it anyway. I waited for my change.

I cannot believe my luck. The White Rotary was pictured in CL ad for $10 at garage sale on Saturday but would sell early. It mentioned that other sewing machines were available. When I called he didn't know what the other machines were but they were more modern Singers then the White. So I was thinking maybe a Touch and Sew or some other not so desirable machines. Well scroll down and see what I got!!

Doing the happy dance......

If you decide to keep them both, that's great! If you decide to sell one, I'M INTERESTED! :mrgreen:

I can't even find one around here for more than that...that is an AWESOME find!
Old 06-29-2011, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by omak
I hope you don't mind that I dropped in, since the machine I got today isn't a Singer (as far as I know).
I did get a patent number on it - - Montgomery Ward Model R (or it could be A) ... patent number 2.007.794
I couldn't get the machine to lift up out of its box (the cover is missing) and, it is going to take me a while to figure out how to get to the bobbin.
The other interesting (I thought) feature of this straight stitch machine is a nickel plate (I assume it is nickel, since it hasn't tarnished) about five inches long that runs under the foot the entire width of the bed of the machine - - other than that, the entire machine is a boring black cast iron body. It is printed with information about needle sizes.
I just popped in to start receiving postings from this thread.
However, if you have any pointers for me, I surely would appreciate it. <wave>
Hi Omak,

Waving to you from Tri-Cities... can you see me? I have at least 5 different brands of sewing machines. I think you are in good company... Welcome! :thumbup:
Old 06-29-2011, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
I hope you don't mind that I dropped in, since the machine I got today isn't a Singer (as far as I know).
I did get a patent number on it - - Montgomery Ward Model R (or it could be A) ... patent number 2.007.794
I couldn't get the machine to lift up out of its box (the cover is missing) and, it is going to take me a while to figure out how to get to the bobbin.
The other interesting (I thought) feature of this straight stitch machine is a nickel plate (I assume it is nickel, since it hasn't tarnished) about five inches long that runs under the foot the entire width of the bed of the machine - - other than that, the entire machine is a boring black cast iron body. It is printed with information about needle sizes.
Hi Omak,

Waving to you from Tri-Cities... can you see me? I have at least 5 different brands of sewing machines. I think you are in good company... Welcome! :thumbup:
Yes, we talk about lots of different brands: Whites, Nationals, Eldredge, Davis, Kenmore, Necchi, etc.
We talk about cars, food, quilts, gardening, etc.

Please post photos too! I love seeing everyone's special finds and quilts that they made with their vintage machines.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:58 PM
Power Poster

I cannot believe my luck. The White Rotary was pictured in CL ad for $10 at garage sale on Saturday but would sell early. It mentioned that other sewing machines were available. When I called he didn't know what the other machines were but they were more modern Singers then the White. So I was thinking maybe a Touch and Sew or some other not so desirable machines. Well scroll down and see what I got!!

Doing the happy dance......
Hey any time you wanna double your money....
Old 06-29-2011, 09:02 PM

Omak, join the fun. There are no rules here either. I have all kinds of machines and love the variety. :)
Old 06-29-2011, 09:04 PM

[quote=quilt addict][quote=Lostn51]

Was it really bad to wait for the $10 change from the $40 I gave him?

Now to decide which FW to keep. They are in really remarkable condition. I few scratches, need new rubber feet. There is a repair ticket for the 1937 one. Mrs. M. Carter had a service call on 7/1/53. The total bill was $3.96 to clean and check the motor. Those were the days. There are directions to her house so I think they picked up the machine and delivered it back on 7/10/53.
No need to feel guilty....the seller didn't do their homework and that's not your fault! I'm sooooo pleased for you because I've been quietly looking for a FW too. You will have to call one 'Mrs Carter'.

Love the White as well, it's the first cabinet like that I've seen, really nice piece of furniture as well as a pretty machine.

Lucky you.......good things come to those who wait!

Bronwyn ;-)
Old 06-29-2011, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
Let's see now, I have sorta lost count... how many are going junkin' and eatin' at dives with Charlee?????? :shock:
At this point, I think it will take a school bus dragging a semi trailer for the loot we find and all us collectors.

Hand in the air waving madly.....don't forget to swing by the airport to pick me up, ROFLMHO!!!! Wouldn't it be fun, would love to do something crazy like that because I don't know anyone who sews or has an interest in sewing machines.

Bronwyn ;-)
Old 06-29-2011, 09:06 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by HanNatNana
Originally Posted by Weedwoman
Let's see now, I have sorta lost count... how many are going junkin' and eatin' at dives with Charlee?????? :shock:
At this point, I think it will take a school bus dragging a semi trailer for the loot we find and all us collectors.

Hand in the air waving madly.....don't forget to swing by the airport to pick me up, ROFLMHO!!!! Wouldn't it be fun, would love to do something crazy like that because I don't know anyone who sews or has an interest in sewing machines.

Bronwyn ;-)
yeah - you all are the only ones I know. I'm so glad I found you.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by melinda1962
Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by deplaylady
Is it wrong to want a machine just because it's pink?

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions...33480.html#des
Is there a WRONG reason to buy a machine? :lol: I think she's pretty!
I have two pink Japanese clones, an Atlas that is a baby pink, and a Monarch that is more a salmon color, but both have their original matching pink foot controls. Both drop the feed dogs and sew like a dream. Fast and straight.
Melinda I have its sister in the sale section right now, Its a Brother "Windomatic" with all of its accessories and case with the original tins and boxes. It was badged for the Atlas Company in Florida and sews like a dream!

Billy
My Atlas has a different profile, for lack of a better word. But I still like it. S119462 is the serial number on mine.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-218834.jpe  
Old 06-29-2011, 09:08 PM

Hi Omak,

<wave> Right back at you - - and, we are definitely going to have to make a date! anyway, I may be able to get DD to take a picture tomorrow, since I haven't broken down long enough to figure out how to charge up my camera (I might be lazy, or just be very busy) ... you all are correct. A picture would help very much.
Thank you all for your generous welcome.
Since someone mentioned chatting about gardening, guess what I saw today for the first time???
We were out anchoring down a hay tarp - - decided to drive to the south end of the little chicken park pasture, and I saw my FIRST little killdeer baby! (I call the birds killdeers, but they might be something else) It was so cute - - as all babies are.
We have been in Grant County for eleven years and we have seen lots of the adults. They lay their eggs in the darndest places! It is a wonder anything survives, and I really have never figured out why they still keep showing up, since I had never seen any babies.
Tonight, however, I saw a baby one - - all of about 2.5" tall, and as randy as his parents. I was so proud of my dogs - - they did NOT chase the little bird or his parents. (The barn bird babies aren't so fortunate) ...
it was interesting to me how something so tiny could be so much like his parents, only smaller - - <wave>