Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1281 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 281 781 1181 1231 1271 1280 1281 1282 1291 1331 1381 1781 ... LastLast
Results 32,001 to 32,025 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Quote Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
    Joe, I think so. Am willing to try it anyway. Would like a picture of what these parts lok like as I have zero 99 manuals with either of my other 99s. BTW, what is an oscillating hook? Where do you need the screw from?
    Chris,

Will get back to you tomorrow on this.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    Looks fine to me...try rebooting
    Don't think rebooting is gonna help. The direction keys haven't worked from day one. We'll tomorrow though.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
    I need a donor machine, but I'm so soft hearted, I'd probably try to fix it instead. (My furgirls are rescues, too). The Admiral needs a light and a foot pedal and the Universal may need a foot pedal.

The Universal has another problem. It's a turquoise Japanese made ZZ machine. It ZZs well, but it won't straight stitch. Anyone have any idea on what the magic setting is? I have no manual and didn't think I'd need one, but this has me stumped. Nanamoms is going to share a manual with me when she gets it, but it's in a different location now. Luckily, I don't need it to SS _ I have plenty of machines that do. The Universal does have the buttonhole stitch that I want. It needs a tiny tension adjustment but I can do that. Just haven't had my small tools and the machine in the same room. Why won't it straight stitch?
    Foot controllers can be purchased separately from Sew-Classic and other on line places as well as you LSMS.
    I wouldn't part one out just for that. Lights can also be had. Just look a bit and you'll see.

Joe

[QUOTE=Mizkaki;5040835]Joe,

The feed dog cam is way off/ out of time. This cam is what is being hit by the stitch length slide.

Feed dog timing should be adjusted so that the top of the feed dog teeth are level with the needle plate when the eye of the needle descends into the hole of the plate. The feed timing adjustment on your machine is a cam on the main upper shaft.
    To adjust the feed timing set the needle eye so that it is just going into the needle plate hole. Then loosen the set screw slightly and turn the cam to have the top of the teeth just go below the level of the plate. Tighten the screw and test.Note that when you advance or retard the feed timing you will also increase or reduce the maximum stitch length. The picture below is of a different machine, but very similar and I have marked with a yellow arrow the set screw that you need to loosen. Set the stitch length during this adjustment at midway so as to get the slide out of the way of the cam.

Attachment 318141

Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post

He has several problems. First was the feed dogs hit the front side of the needle plate. I adjusted that so it doesn't happen, but either I caused another problem, or it was there but I didn't know it. I suspect it was there as when he was put in reverse he banged and clunked horribly. Now he only does that if I hold the stitch lever down.

When the stitch lever is lowered all the way to the bottom for maximum length stitches, the feed regulator (T2, Figs 30 and 32 ) in the 15-91 service manual is in the way of the cam next to it.
    The arrow points to the interference point in the following pictures:
    Cathy,

Thanks for the diagnosis and what to adjust.

When I worked on this before I tried to move that cam. I couldn't get it to budge. Is this the only screw for that cam? If I remember right (questionable at 12:15AM) there are two screws. When I had them broke loose the last time I didn't know what to use as a reference point. Thanks, I do now. What is the best way to turn that cam? Will try this tomorrow and get back with you.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
    Joe, I think so. Am willing to try it anyway. Would like a picture of what these parts lok like as I have zero 99 manuals with either of my other 99s. BTW, what is an oscillating hook? Where do you need the screw from?
    Chris,

Here is a link to a parts manual with pictures of the 99K:
    http://www.parts.singerco.com/IPpart...9K26_27_28.pdf

Go to page 7 plate 2394.
    The oscillating hook part #32520 is the big round thing
    Towards the bottom of the page, part # 32594 is the part that attaches the bottom of the hook to the levers that make it work.

Page 4 plate 895.
    The feed dog is the toothy thing, part #32600. It's screw is on plate #2400 and it's part #191C
    The part above it, #33635, and the two parts to the right of it, #'s 32529 and 33613 are part of the thread take-up lever assembly.
    I haven't found where the screws for that are located.

So to review, I need the oscillating hook, the feed dog and screw, and the thread take up lever assembly.

Note one of the screws on the thread take up assembly has left handed threads. It's the one with the concave slot. Easy to see.

If this doesn't help, PM me your email addy and I'll take some genuine digital images and send them to you.

Joe

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    And this is why I want a basement. The legs on this lady are cute! http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/atq/2888084166.html
    Attachment 318019
    That sure is cute! DH and I decided when we retire to NC we will definately have a basement....mostly for all my quilting stuff and my machines. I can't wait....I'll be talkin' like Miz Johnny after a while.... :-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
    Charlee,

I'm counting on you at the next TOGA at my place. Not sure when that will be, need to set a date.
    I'll even find sofa space for you. Bring your own pillow. (GGG)
    Cathy
    Cathy I'll start saving up my nickels and dimes for gas to come up. Just give me a target date! :-) Can't wait to see everyone again.

Blog Entries
    I will do my best!

Got some time to plan a date...I'm going to be paying off some plastic for a bit...the spousal unit's daughters are coming to visit for his birthday at my expense...it'll be the first time he's seen them in 13 years, and he doesn't know they're coming. I put it together with them, and they're excited to be able to surprise him! Hopefully this visit will heal some old wounds, on both sides.

You're a good woman, Charlee....no matter what anyone says! Seriously...that's a very kind thing to do for your DH. I know how it feels to be the step parent...sometimes not so easy. Hope everything goes as planned.

vintagemotif,

Just make sure when you get the basement you get:

( In order of importance)

1 - A dry basement, check carefully for mold, mildew, or previous flooding.

2 - Ample head room for the tallest person in your family. I about killed myself in the basement in the first house we lived in here in Springfield. Those floor beams are solid.
    2a - Wide tall stairs down to the basement. Having to bend over to avoid a concussion or bend and twist to get down the stairs is a pain in the a ..... 'em butt.

3 - Ample windows that open for ventilation.

4 - Light, you need lots of light. That can be worked on though.

Hope you get pretty legs a good place to set up.

Joe

Blog Entries
    This man was very clever and frugal in repairing this treadle.He also has a very nice Bernina.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxUj6...eature=related
    Ok, did you see this one? A 319 in treadle!!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cD1f...eature=related

Blog Entries
    Well, I've told these stories before, but let me tell you again. I was given a 99K that was rusted tight. I stripped it of all it's useable parts as I oiled it and cleaned it and finally broke it loose. Now I've got 99% of the parts cleaned and oiled and I'm down to giving it a kerosene flush bath and replacing three parts. I've removed all the parts I donated to other machines and returned them to Rusty, replacing them with new. When I'm finished it will be a functional machine again. I bought a 66-18 from Goodwill auction. It arrived with a busted motor, their fault, and a broken needle take-up lever. I didn't see this in the auction pics. I took it to my LSMG who sold me a 66-4 for parts. Well, I acquired the parts to fix both the 66-18 and the 66-4. I bought a 66-4 Treadle that had been electrified decades ago. The motor was gone, but the light, wiring block, and foot controller were there. The wiring was so brittle it was falling apart like raw spaghetti. I worked on replacing the missing parts to the treadle and even rewired the cord block, light and foot controller. During the acquisition of the replacement parts I found another treadle on CL that had a broken stand. Turns out the machine is a 9W-7. I cleaned the machine and tested it, works beautiful. And when the weather turns I'll get to the cabinet. So you see, I just can't part one out if it's at all fixable. I'm the same way with guns and cars and antique fans. I'm pushing 60. If I've learned anything in my life, it's patience. I'll get it figured out. If not now, then later. Joe
    Joe, I love this story....fixing the fixable has become a goal of my interest, also. I got a 1909 66-1 on auction. It had been electrified sometimes in the 30's-40's era, and put in a box base. It was crying to go back in a treadle. My friend and I found a treadle machine...she wanted the head, I wanted the base for the 66-1. After we split up the treadle, I loved my machine in it, but I could hear that machine crying to have it's original base back...so I called my friend and told her if she could find me a treadle base I would trade her back. She found a 15 in a straight leg treadle base, bought it, and we traded. Once I got it home, my DH decided no way we are taking the 15 out of the treadle. He redid the cabinet, we cleaned it all up, and the 15 sews like a dream. So, my 66-1 is still sitting in need of a base....she's happy to be demotorized, but need legs.

Blog Entries
    vintagemotif,Just make sure when you get the basement you get In order of importance)1 - A dry basement, check carefully for mold, mildew, or previous flooding.2 - Ample head room for the tallest person in your family. I about killed myself in the basement in the first house we lived in here in Springfield. Those floor beams are solid.2a - Wide tall stairs down to the basement. Having to bend over to avoid a concussion or bend and twist to get down the stairs is a pain in the a ..... 'em butt.3 - Ample windows that open for ventilation. 4 - Light, you need lots of light. That can be worked on though.Hope you get pretty legs a good place to set up.Joe
    Thanks for this info, Joe. Since DH and I will also be looking for a house with basement in the next few years. Good advice.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack View Post
    You're a good woman, Charlee....no matter what anyone says! Seriously...that's a very kind thing to do for your DH. I know how it feels to be the step parent...sometimes not so easy. Hope everything goes as planned.
    Thanks! In this case, this "step" is going to fly them in and then fade to the background. I'm planning for him to take them to see his mother in Idaho while I continue to work...
    Should be an interesting visit!
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Oh, my, I hope not. My kids keep threatening to call in the "Hoarders" crew. I keep telling them they need to move out.
    That sure is cute! DH and I decided when we retire to NC we will definately have a basement....mostly for all my quilting stuff and my machines. I can't wait....I'll be talkin' like Miz Johnny after a while.... :-)
    Miz Johnny

Thanks for this info, Joe. Since DH and I will also be looking for a house with basement in the next few years. Good advice.
    Major stress on finding a basement that's dry. Mine wasn't, and though we have poured money into this place, the issues continue. It's dry now, but who knows about next month??
    Miz Johnny

Blog Entries
    Joe;
    Thanks for the clear instructions and the manual with pictures. I have Miriam's piece off and will now work on yours. With the pics and your instructions believe myself to be capable. I am woman with screwdriver and sewing machine oil, hear me roar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ~ Chris
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Miz Johnny View Post
    Major stress on finding a basement that's dry. Mine wasn't, and though we have poured money into this place, the issues continue. It's dry now, but who knows about next month??
    I have seen basements back east that are dry, but I may have to find a home with a large loft since I don't plan on moving back east. It's always fun planning!

Joe. I wasn't planning on going after that machine since I really do not have room for it. I would have to let go of a treadle to make room for that one.

Although, it would make for a very cute universal treadle that could hold different heads that were dropped into for use....or maybe a bathroom sink cabinet...just joking. I wouldn't do that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Miz Johnny View Post
    Oh, my, I hope not. My kids keep threatening to call in the "Hoarders" crew. I keep telling them they need to move out.
    If you are ever on that Hoarders show, I will then be watching!!!

Blog Entries
    If you are ever on that Hoarders show, I will then be watching!!!
    Hey I will be watching to see where they go with all the stuff..... he he he...
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

[QUOTE=J Miller;5040961]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
    Joe,

The feed dog cam is way off/ out of time. This cam is what is being hit by the stitch length slide.

Feed dog timing should be adjusted so that the top of the feed dog teeth are level with the needle plate when the eye of the needle descends into the hole of the plate. The feed timing adjustment on your machine is a cam on the main upper shaft.
    To adjust the feed timing set the needle eye so that it is just going into the needle plate hole. Then loosen the set screw slightly and turn the cam to have the top of the teeth just go below the level of the plate. Tighten the screw and test.Note that when you advance or retard the feed timing you will also increase or reduce the maximum stitch length. The picture below is of a different machine, but very similar and I have marked with a yellow arrow the set screw that you need to loosen. Set the stitch length during this adjustment at midway so as to get the slide out of the way of the cam.

Attachment 318141

Cathy,

Thanks for the diagnosis and what to adjust.

When I worked on this before I tried to move that cam. I couldn't get it to budge. Is this the only screw for that cam? If I remember right (questionable at 12:15AM) there are two screws. When I had them broke loose the last time I didn't know what to use as a reference point. Thanks, I do now. What is the best way to turn that cam? Will try this tomorrow and get back with you.

Joe
    Cathy,

Studied this critter this afternoon. I can't adjust it via the cam. There is a longer lock screw 180 from the one you told me to loosen. The second screw locks the cam to the main shaft going to the head. It actually passes through the counter weight looking part, into the cam. The other screw you told me to adjust looks like it would lock the short hand wheel end to the cam. But if I change that it doesn't move the feed dogs just the other vertical shaft that drives the oscillating hook.

Also when I ran the needle down into the needle plate as you instructed, just as the bottom of the eye entered the plate the feed dogs were just a hair over the top of the plate and only at the rear of the dogs. So I'm not sure that what little movement of the cam it would take to move the dogs would clear the stitch adjuster part.

Sent you a PM earlier. Will now await your reply.

Sigh, such a pretty machine to be so out of sorts. Perhaps an attitude adjustment is in order . Bwahahahahaha .....

Joe
    Last edited by J Miller; 03-08-2012 at 06:32 PM.

Joe,

I sent you a PM. As you suggested, let's take this off the forum.

[QUOTE=J Miller;5043345]

Cathy,

Studied this critter this afternoon. I can't adjust it via the cam. There is a longer lock screw 180 from the one you told me to loosen. The second screw locks the cam to the main shaft going to the head. It actually passes through the counter weight looking part, into the cam. The other screw you told me to adjust looks like it would lock the short hand wheel end to the cam. But if I change that it doesn't move the feed dogs just the other vertical shaft that drives the oscillating hook.

Also when I ran the needle down into the needle plate as you instructed, just as the bottom of the eye entered the plate the feed dogs were just a hair over the top of the plate and only at the rear of the dogs. So I'm not sure that what little movement of the cam it would take to move the dogs would clear the stitch adjuster part.

Sent you a PM earlier. Will now await your reply.

Sigh, such a pretty machine to be so out of sorts. Perhaps an attitude adjustment is in order . Bwahahahahaha .....

Joe
    Cathy

"Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

Blog Entries
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-ELNA...item3f147fa978Not a lot of time left on this cute little grasshopper. There are a several more further down, but one Supermatic has serious water damage. Also several puzzle boxes and buttonholers, including a Necchi buttonholer.I'm headed for the living room to talk to the Universal some more. It has to be a setting I'm missing to get it to straight stitch.
    Last edited by irishrose; 03-08-2012 at 08:06 PM.

Charlee,

You go, girl! You will never regret doing this for them.
    I "inherited" a 4 year old son with my marriage. Encouraging and nourishing the relationship between him and his father and the kid's mother was one of the hardest things I have ever done. It pays off big time. He is the "apple of my eye" 36+ years later and I love him as much as I love the son I gave birth to.

Cathy
    Thanks! In this case, this "step" is going to fly them in and then fade to the background. I'm planning for him to take them to see his mother in Idaho while I continue to work...
    Should be an interesting visit!
    Cathy

"Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

Cathy,

Got the pm and responded. I screwed up my own email. Go figure. ......

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-ELNA...item3f147fa978Not a lot of time left on this cute little grasshopper. There are a several more further down, but one Supermatic has serious water damage. Also several puzzle boxes and buttonholers, including a Necchi buttonholer.I'm headed for the living room to talk to the Universal some more. It has to be a setting I'm missing to get it to straight stitch.
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintag...sewingmachines has a manual for a univeral and a generic zz machine. May help you. Also take the top off of the machine and oil it well, checking to see if everything appears to move and adjust as you move the dials and knobs. Something may be frozen up. Hope this helps.
    Melinda