Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-26-2011, 01:15 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mom2boys
I have a quick question I have a singer 66 that I purchased on craigslist for $10, follwed Billy's great directions and cleaned it all up. Now I'm trying to get some test sews on it and I think the bobbins that came with it are wrong. The person gave me a metal bobbin that is the same size as the prewound Class 15's that fit in my Brother CS80 & Kenmore machine. When I try that bobbin all the upper thread goes under.
I put a Singer 15 plastic bobbin in the machine and it sews great but these don't look like the one I see online, they are flat on top not curved like the pictures look to me.

Thanks for all the help:)
Ginger
You can get them at WM, Joann's etc, BUT the ones I got from Jenny at sewclassic.com work better. They are metal and a good price.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by deplaylady
I really want one of these to show up in the US - I really like the decals on this one!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300589252828#ht_10481wt_1026
It's wonderful..but the shipping would kill ya, I asked about an attachment set and the postage will be about $20...makes it a little too rich for my blood...
Old 08-26-2011, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by hootnannie
I haven't used makeup in decades so there's plenty of room for my little leatherman. Thanks, A
OK, now I am ENVIOUS!!! I want a Leatherman!!! I have wanted one of those for years!!! :-) Coolest tool EVER!!!
let me lift one of DH's, he's decided to collect the things, i can't complain too much they are MOSTLY smaller and cheaper then sewing machines :lol:

he got me a teeney one to carry and i'm not really sure where it went, they get lost a lot!
Old 08-26-2011, 06:00 AM

Good Morning! Last weekend we were in Yellowstone NP and stayed in West Yellowstone MT. While walking around town, we went in the Train Depot museum and lo, and behold! What do I see? I still don't think this is as bad as the 15-91's turned into tractors though. What do you think?

Fly tying treadle
[ATTACH=CONFIG]246906[/ATTACH]

Blurb about it
[ATTACH=CONFIG]246907[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-246900.jpe   attachment-246901.jpe  
Old 08-26-2011, 06:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Launie
Good Morning! Last weekend we were in Yellowstone NP and stayed in West Yellowstone MT. While walking around town, we went in the Train Depot museum and lo, and behold! What do I see? I still don't think this is as bad as the 15-91's turned into tractors though. What do you think?
This is really neat and I love the letter telling about it. If you can find some older Popular mechanics magazines you will find lots of uses for a treadle and how they modified them to fit their needs.

Billy
Old 08-26-2011, 07:05 AM

Well I certainly got a kick out of it. I walked around the corner and thought to myself "that looks familiar" as my cabinet is the same model, but holding Old Ironsides (15-91) not fishing lures.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:20 AM

...West Yellowstone MT....in the Train Depot museum....Fly Tying Treadle
Thanks for posting this. The “split treadle” part of it is interesting. It looks like it has two pitman rods. Each foot controls one pitman rod to help with direction control. I’d like to know how they figured that part out....

CD in Oklahoma
Old 08-26-2011, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Ok..as promised...I've posted pics of my vintage machines in other posts (check my profile for topics I've started, one is titled "I think he loves me!" and the other one is titled "Look what followed me home!" for my two "good" treadles, a Singer 9W and a Wheeler & Wilson #8. My Kenmore is shown in "Hey Machine Experts!" :)

This one however...well...let's just say she's had a HARD life! I'm going to do my best to turn that around for her...I've named her "Hazel" after the woman she belonged to many years ago. I bought her from Hazel's grandson, who has absolutely no sense of "heirloom". She's a Wheeler & Wilson D-9, much like my Singer 9W that was made after Singer bought out W&W in 1905. (Made about 1912 according to those in the know at Needlebar) Hazel survived a house fire, supposedly shut off in a room that didn't get burned, but that room must have gotten hotter than Hades, because the machine got hot enough to scorch the wood around her, and the bed of the machine lost the Japaned finish. I think it ended up on someone's porch for too long...the cabinet is in need of help as well.
I figure that I can't hurt the machine anymore than it's already been hurt, or the cabinet either, so this will be my first restoration project. Wish me luck!!
Can't wait to see her transformation!
Old 08-26-2011, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/grd/2566079565.html
If the opposite is true - don't you just love how a sewing machine runs... I tried to post an ad tongue in cheek for a sewing machine and CL flagged me. I suppose I have had machines sounded about what this one must sound like though.
Dumptruck?? :?:
Old 08-26-2011, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
This is really neat and I love the letter telling about it. If you can find some older Popular mechanics magazines you will find lots of uses for a treadle and how they modified them to fit their needs.

Billy
I think as long as it is a useful modification it's legit. In this case, it was used for a long time for a very good purpose. I think it's great!! Knowing the history is cool too!