Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-24-2011, 10:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Candace
One quick question in regards to Singer 185K....what kind of bobbin cases do they use? Are they easy to replace? I've googled and really can't find much info. Thanks!
Its a drop in bobbin like the 66, 99, 201, and many others. It will use the class 66 bobbin and make sure to use the metal ones!

BIlly
Old 07-24-2011, 10:21 AM

Thanks, Billy!
Old 07-24-2011, 10:28 AM

Gee, I may be up in Ontario Canada now but I too am a good worker for Miz Johnny's basement. If I owned a camper I could come to work and still have a place to stay. Oh, darn .
Well, maybe we could just stop and say "Hello" on way to Fl. With all the help you may be done by Nov. Picked up a machine after church but not checked the model---needs a bobbin case for sure.
Plans to meet another QB member tomorrow in person.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:37 AM

Picked up a 99K today, has the 32622 feed cover plate with it and 4 bobbins. The bobbins are for some thing else, they are about 7/8ths OD X 5/16th wide. The 99K came in a blond cabinet and is missing the bobbin cover plate, so will need to find one of those. Got it for $25, will pick it up later this week. DD picked up some kind of treadle for me at a yard sale Friday, so right now that is a pig in the poke, the price on that was $30. She said that it had a lot decals and was made in Chicago.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by deplaylady
Well, later today I'm off to my SIL's house to pick up a Whtie treadle machine. Don't know what shape it will be in, what accessories or books may be with it or even what the machine itself looks like. I noticed the base cabinet and the distinctive 'white' in the iron treadle a week ago and asked about the machine, my SIL offered it to me since she just used it as a sometime side table on the downstairs level. So, I hoping the machine will be in decent shape. I know it has been made electric 'not sure what that means yet) , but I plan to get her pedaling again. I take some pictures to post when I can. Oh - what's the best way to transport this - remove the head from the base if I can?
Congrats!! :)

What kind of vehicle do you intend to transport with? I use my Trailblazer...the treadles fit upright into the back with no problem. If it's a pickup, you want to take along a couple of blankets to wrap the cabinet, some rope or straps to secure it. If you can, remove the head from the cabinet. If it won't come out easily, then have some towels on hand to pack around the head inside the cabinet, so that it doesn't bounce around in there.
Be careful tying the cabinet into the vehicle, that old wood is fragile and can break! After the cabinet is wrapped well, tie it down only tight enough to prevent it from moving around.

Take pictures when you get home with her, we wanna see!! :)
Thank you Charlee! We have a Kia Sorento and followed your directions - took the head out of the cabinet and wrapped it up and stood the cabinet up in back of the car. It fit perfectly (wrapped a blanket around it). I had removed all the little attachments from the drawer so they wouldn't bang around and it made it safely home. I've cleaned it a bit - now I'm going to try to upload some pics. My husbands even impressed with the mechanics of this one. Treadles - who knew?
Old 07-24-2011, 11:43 AM

My new White Family Rotary, serial number FR 2962604. It came with lots of nifty attachments, now all I need is a manual!

head before cleaning
[ATTACH=CONFIG]231115[/ATTACH]

cabinet before cleaning
[ATTACH=CONFIG]231116[/ATTACH]

cabinet after
[ATTACH=CONFIG]231117[/ATTACH]

together again - no motor, just needs a belt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]231123[/ATTACH]

head - after (I do have a round silver plate i found in a drawer - but I'm not sure where it goes)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]231124[/ATTACH]

head after - missing some decals, but I still like it!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]231125[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-231109.jpe   attachment-231110.jpe   attachment-231111.jpe   attachment-231117.jpe   attachment-231118.jpe  

attachment-231119.jpe  
Old 07-24-2011, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
How long can you stay? I'm expecting this to take at least another 5 years.
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I'm coming over to help you clean your basement!!!! :)
We'll work in shifts!! I wanna play...er...ah...."work" too!! :lol:
Haahahaaa! OMG! How big is that basement?! I'm a diligent worker; maybe it could be done in less time. :)
With Charlee helping and others maybe we could be finished
within a week!
I'll even bring food!
My DH said he would bring his truck and some mint tea!! Then when we get through with yours you all can come and help with ours. I think we have about 100 machines to go through.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:28 PM

Thanks, Nancy, I hope you had a great time on your cruise. At least two people contacted CL, so the task is done even though I wasn't comfortable doing it myself. I'm just super-cautious with the internet. I truly appreciate everyone's input, but am not going to think about it anymore. Onward to sewing machine news!

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by treadlep
I appreciate those of you who have let me know that apparently photos are automatically copyrighted and I appreciate the support. I have been very creeped out over this, although I keep telling myself it is not personal and it's just a sewing machine. The sad part is that this is the first board I have ever joined or posted anything on because I have worried about publicly posting things, however this board is supportive and it seemed safe. For those of you who have encouraged me to complain to CL I am not sure if it is possible to accomplish that anonymously and so am hesitant to take this further, even though I know it is not right to let it go. Hopefully someone will buy the machine quickly--- it's a national/Eldredge badged machine and mine is a gem even if the machine for sale isn't. Please understand that I am not dismissing anyone's advice and I'm open to ideas if there is a way to stay anonymous.

Treadlep
Treadlep, I just got back from a cruise so I was about 40 pages behind on this board, but you do realize that when you google about a machine, etc., our conversations and or pictures come up on google? I am hoping that is the way the person who posted your picture on CL got the picture, not someone from this board. If it was someone on this board, I'd be willing to bet it was not a 'regular' but someone in hiding. I know you already realize we are a great bunch of people, no one on this board would do something like that. We all watch CL's (all over the country). It had to be someone who just googled and got your picture from that or someone from here that has not come forth to take part in this board.

Glenn, congratulations on your FW! What a great price! Tells us all they are still out there for a good deal and can be found!

Nancy
Old 07-24-2011, 01:37 PM

Here is my recently cleaned up Singer 99-24 (I think, anyway), a 1941 allotment. Found at my local Goodwill store. I love this cute little machine. My husband and I are working on designing a table I can use multiple sizes of machines in and I plan to treadle this machine. My husband rewired the original lamp so I can plug that in without having to use the motor. Lovely, beautiful stitch....
Attached Thumbnails attachment-231161.jpe  
Old 07-24-2011, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by deplaylady
My new White Family Rotary, serial number FR 2962604. It came with lots of nifty attachments, now all I need is a manual!
BEAUTIFUL