Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1542 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 542 1042 1442 1492 1532 1541 1542 1543 1552 1592 1642 ... LastLast
Results 38,526 to 38,550 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

  1. #38526
    Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    1,374
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    Pumpkinpatchquilter, that White will be gorgeous once you get the machine cleaned up. Enjoy!
    I sure hope so!! I have never really cleaned up a machine other than to wipe it down with a damp cloth. I skimmed through many threads and conversations on this board suggesting how to clean up my machine and then braved it!! This afternoon and evening I cleaned as much as I could with a few rags and sewing machine oil. I was a little over anxious to see a pretty shiny black machine so I attempted turtle wax but I don't know if it's just my inexperience, the wear on it's finish, or if it's just not clean enough yet to really shine much. I attempted two coats and it seemed to help clean a lot of the muck off but maybe needs a few more coats? I should have pulled off some of the metal pieces first because now that the body is starting to look neat and clean the metal looks old and dirty. I am learning though and it is fun!

    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    Bennett refurbished a White - named it 'Cookie' it was about a year ago - came out very nice.
    Of course I had to flip right into another tab and look up "Cookie" as soon as I read your comment!!! Lol* Cookie is quite beautiful!! I want one!!!
    Valerie Smith - pumpkinpatchquilter
    Obsessed Quilter and APQS Long Arm Machine Quilter
    www.pumpkinpatchquilter.com

  2. #38527
    Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    1,374
    Here's my progress so far...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Valerie Smith - pumpkinpatchquilter
    Obsessed Quilter and APQS Long Arm Machine Quilter
    www.pumpkinpatchquilter.com

  3. #38528
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter View Post
    Here's my progress so far...
    You need to catch up with Glenn and his tutorials - he would make that machine shine.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  4. #38529
    Junior Member makitmama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Tidewater, VA
    Posts
    262
    she is gorgeous, and going to be stunning when she is done at the beauty shop!
    be careful with the turtle wax in crevices...

  5. #38530
    Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    1,374
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    You need to catch up with Glenn and his tutorials - he would make that machine shine.
    Miriam thank you for pointing me towards Glenn's tutorials - I found one within this thread about using lighter fluid, denatured alchohol and linseed oil - I think that would really help this machine out! The bed is speckled and spotted with rough patches - I'm guessing that's missing shellac?
    Valerie Smith - pumpkinpatchquilter
    Obsessed Quilter and APQS Long Arm Machine Quilter
    www.pumpkinpatchquilter.com

  6. #38531
    Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    1,374
    Quote Originally Posted by makitmama View Post
    she is gorgeous, and going to be stunning when she is done at the beauty shop!
    be careful with the turtle wax in crevices...
    I wasn't sure if this was meant for my White or the Red Eye up there! If for me - then thanks! LOL* I did discover quickly how careful you must be with that turtle wax!!! LOL* I'm really excited to see if I can actually improve the appearance...and then show off! Lol*
    Valerie Smith - pumpkinpatchquilter
    Obsessed Quilter and APQS Long Arm Machine Quilter
    www.pumpkinpatchquilter.com

  7. #38532
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter View Post
    Miriam thank you for pointing me towards Glenn's tutorials - I found one within this thread about using lighter fluid, denatured alchohol and linseed oil - I think that would really help this machine out! The bed is speckled and spotted with rough patches - I'm guessing that's missing shellac?
    You will really like Glenn's method of cleaning up a machine!
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  8. #38533
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    San francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter View Post
    Here's my progress so far...
    Very nice! You've done a lovely job- don't the machines seem to appreciate all our efforts? I've never felt the same gratitude vibe from an inanimate objects as I have from a sewing machine. Laura

  9. #38534
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    394

  10. #38535
    Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    1,374
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    You will really like Glenn's method of cleaning up a machine!
    I think your right! I'm off to the hardware store tomorrow to pick up his suggested supplies. I am falling in love with this little machine the more time I spend with it so I hope my efforts improve it and don't ruin it. Eep! Little bit nervous...

    Quote Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura View Post
    Very nice! You've done a lovely job- don't the machines seem to appreciate all our efforts? I've never felt the same gratitude vibe from an inanimate objects as I have from a sewing machine. Laura
    I KNOW!!! These old machines just have souls it feels like. You can almost just feel a connection with the original owner's and can't you just imagine the thrill they must have had when that sewing machine first came home with them?
    Valerie Smith - pumpkinpatchquilter
    Obsessed Quilter and APQS Long Arm Machine Quilter
    www.pumpkinpatchquilter.com

  11. #38536
    Super Member jlhmnj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Millville, NJ
    Posts
    1,730
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltingweb View Post
    Missing a bunch of parts--the top leaf tension, front slide plate, and possibly knob or handle for hand crank. Who knows what else. Strictly parts machine.

    Jon

  12. #38537
    Junior Member oldhag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Northwestern Ontario
    Posts
    236
    I would think the knob for hand crank is sitting on the spool pin.

  13. #38538
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by makitmama View Post
    Yipee! I converted one of my 66 Red Eyes to hand crank! now that I know it works, my next project will be to strip, repaint, and redecal this machine. I am going to use black paint and the correct decals, so hopefully it will turn out good as new....
    the picture makes it look like this machine has good decals already- but I promise you that the bed is trashed and a lot of the dark colors have worn thru to the underlayer.
    Mama, that is a very pretty redeye as it is! Nice HC too!

    Nancy

  14. #38539
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    OK here is my Eldredege Two Spool. Boy does it so nice. Vintagemotif you are right this will make a great piecing machine. Miriam it cleaned up real nice.

    Skip
    Glenn, if I am not using my 319w in treadle to piece with, I am using my Two Spools. Actually, the Two Spools is the best machine for piecing as the standard foot that comes with the machine is a perfect 1/4". Because that Two Spools has feed dogs the exact same length there is no pulling of your fabric one way or the other - you get a perfectly straight 1/4" seam every time! You will love the Two Spools more and more as you use it! The extra spool of thread in the can is a big bonus too! Great machine! I love the Two Spools and I love both my Davis Vertical Feed machines. They are work horses!

    Nancy

  15. #38540
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura View Post
    I finished a quilt!I quilted a giant spider web on it on my Davis VF! There is a little less space under the arm than my 201, but it worked out, and not a single wrinkle on the back. Most of the blocks were from a swap, but I put it together on my 201, whom I call Queen Mary, for some reason. Then, I sewed the binding down with my little Montgomery Wards zig zag. I will NEVER machine sew a binding again! I ended up having to satin stitch it, because I had made so many rumples. It was just to much to unpick it all. I sized this quilt to drape over the back of the couch- Carve a few pumpkins and I am done decorating for Halloween. Laura
    Wow Laura great job! Love your colors!

    Nancy

  16. #38541
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Laura,

    When I did this quilt cover for my #2 Singer 66 treadle,

    I started having puckers and crinkles on the binding so I switched to a walking foot.

    Although it doesn't properly fit the feed dogs of the 66 it did help immensely.

    Joe
    Joe, that is great! I never thought about making a cover for the 'whole' cabinet and machine! How awesome is that! Great idea, great job!

    Nancy

  17. #38542
    Super Member Glenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    2,503
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Glenn, if I am not using my 319w in treadle to piece with, I am using my Two Spools. Actually, the Two Spools is the best machine for piecing as the standard foot that comes with the machine is a perfect 1/4". Because that Two Spools has feed dogs the exact same length there is no pulling of your fabric one way or the other - you get a perfectly straight 1/4" seam every time! You will love the Two Spools more and more as you use it! The extra spool of thread in the can is a big bonus too! Great machine! I love the Two Spools and I love both my Davis Vertical Feed machines. They are work horses!

    Nancy
    Nancy I do like the two spools the more I use it. I did notice that it does make a 1/4 seam. I really like that the bobbin spool goes forever when piecing. This is a wonderful machine. Even tho I am partial to my 66-1 I am finding I like other machines as well. My 66-1 is my go to machine but now I am finding I go to other machines just as much. Old dogs can learn new tricks
    Skip
    Glenn W. Cleveland

  18. #38543
    Super Member JudyTheSewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Sparks, NV
    Posts
    1,225
    Quote Originally Posted by oldhag View Post
    I would think the knob for hand crank is sitting on the spool pin.
    Oh! Good eye. I noticed that thing on the spool pin but didn't register that it was the crank handle!

  19. #38544
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    8,105
    Have you ever looked at a machine and just wanted to cry? Then when the poor things owners opened their mouths you want to shoot them?

    I went to the outdoor "fair" today to help my wife break down and load up. She had told me of a lady who was sewing her crafts with a treadle machine so being curious I just had to go look.

    The machine was a 20s vintage Singer Mdl 15 in a sawed off treadle base. Some one had literally used a saw to cut the ends of the top off where the drawers were attached. That wasn't too bad because it made for a really compact treadle set up, and it only cost her $10.00.

    What made me want to cry was the machine. ALL the decals were silvered. The machine sewed OK, very quiet, but oh did it look like crap. OK, It's like nearly 90 years old so beings I'm more interested in how it's sewing I didn't say anything. But then the ladies DH had to open his mouth and spilled the beans.

    He had used 409 to scrub the machine with because it was dirty and needed cleaning. He seemed almost proud that he'd ruined the finish on the machine. Bragging that the decals were nice when he stared, but that 409 and decals don't agree with each other.
    I bit my tongue and didn't say anything until he bragged how they had two other machines that he used two whole bottles of 409 just to get them to move because they were all gunked up. I told them to just use oil and cotton balls, but they wouldn't hear me.

    I looked at the lady as she was sewing and she never shut her mouth. Mouth open and ears closed. She mentioned she had trouble with the tension. She didn't have it threaded right so I tried to help. She never shut up. Never heard a word I said. Then she told me she always leaves it threaded because she can't remember how to do it. DUH ..... Where's her sign?

    I finally excused myself and went back to helping my wife to load up.

    I hate people like them, so damn stupid they brag about it. That was several hours ago and it still bugs me.
    Someday I'll learn to ignore peoples idiosyncrasies. Until then, where's my bottle of Excedrin?

    Joe

  20. #38545
    Super Member Glenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    2,503
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Have you ever looked at a machine and just wanted to cry? Then when the poor things owners opened their mouths you want to shoot them?

    I went to the outdoor "fair" today to help my wife break down and load up. She had told me of a lady who was sewing her crafts with a treadle machine so being curious I just had to go look.

    The machine was a 20s vintage Singer Mdl 15 in a sawed off treadle base. Some one had literally used a saw to cut the ends of the top off where the drawers were attached. That wasn't too bad because it made for a really compact treadle set up, and it only cost her $10.00.

    What made me want to cry was the machine. ALL the decals were silvered. The machine sewed OK, very quiet, but oh did it look like crap. OK, It's like nearly 90 years old so beings I'm more interested in how it's sewing I didn't say anything. But then the ladies DH had to open his mouth and spilled the beans.

    He had used 409 to scrub the machine with because it was dirty and needed cleaning. He seemed almost proud that he'd ruined the finish on the machine. Bragging that the decals were nice when he stared, but that 409 and decals don't agree with each other.
    I bit my tongue and didn't say anything until he bragged how they had two other machines that he used two whole bottles of 409 just to get them to move because they were all gunked up. I told them to just use oil and cotton balls, but they wouldn't hear me.

    I looked at the lady as she was sewing and she never shut her mouth. Mouth open and ears closed. She mentioned she had trouble with the tension. She didn't have it threaded right so I tried to help. She never shut up. Never heard a word I said. Then she told me she always leaves it threaded because she can't remember how to do it. DUH ..... Where's her sign?

    I finally excused myself and went back to helping my wife to load up.

    I hate people like them, so damn stupid they brag about it. That was several hours ago and it still bugs me.
    Someday I'll learn to ignore peoples idiosyncrasies. Until then, where's my bottle of Excedrin?

    Joe
    Joe we have those people around here to they must be relatives. Like you I get upset over stuff like this and it makes me mad but know it should not be my concern what other people do. Stupidity is right
    Skip
    Glenn W. Cleveland

  21. #38546
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Joe we have those people around here to they must be relatives. Like you I get upset over stuff like this and it makes me mad but know it should not be my concern what other people do. Stupidity is right
    Skip
    Yup Joe, they seem to reproduce and live all over the country AND if you go here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...ml#post5586403 you will find that they have a lot of gall when it comes to selling their machines... sorta start with the last post and work your way forward...
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  22. #38547
    Super Member nanna-up-north's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,998
    That old saying is right..............'You can't fix stupid'.


    nanna

  23. #38548
    Senior Member pinkCastleDH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    457
    Quote Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
    That old saying is right..............'You can't fix stupid'.


    nanna
    My problem with them is that ignorance is curable. Willful ignorance, though.... AAARGGGH!

    Joe - at least you tried and you had the presence of mind not to clock them when they showed that they didn't want to learn.

  24. #38549
    Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    1,374
    Question - I found a Household treadle for sale...can anyone point me towards more information on it? Like how I might find out how old it is? It's NOT a fiddlebase but there doesn't seem to be a lot of info online. I see they were made by Provinence Tool Company. They are asking $125 which is kind of pricey for my budget...plus it's a drive.
    Valerie Smith - pumpkinpatchquilter
    Obsessed Quilter and APQS Long Arm Machine Quilter
    www.pumpkinpatchquilter.com

  25. #38550
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    394
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyTheSewer View Post
    Oh! Good eye. I noticed that thing on the spool pin but didn't register that it was the crank handle!
    Thank you...I was so confused. I knew it didn't look like it should

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.