Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-06-2011, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
Went through the bobbins I had for the 306k and I think only one of them were vintage, the other 4 seem 'fatter' and their thread holes are larger. Anyway, I put the vintage one back in and it did 'snap' and I was able to sew without breaking thread or cussing. I guess now my quest will be to find a few more vintage bobbins for it as I hate having only one bobbin for a machine. Anybody have any to sell?
A ha! Not funny. My 66-6 is like that. I finally, segregated my vintage 66 bobbins that came with the machine... and keep them with the machine. The others jam something fierce. Yet they are almost identical to my eye. I don't have any 306 bobbins that I know of, sounds like an ebay crawl is coming your way...
Old 05-06-2011, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
http://cgi.ebay.com/25-Rotary-Bobbin...item27ba172108

I have ordered parts from him previously and is a good seller.
Sharon W.
Thanks, Sharon for the the seller info and the recommendation...
Old 05-06-2011, 04:35 PM

Can anyone point me to a site to get a free manual for a 1908 Minnesota Model A Davis was the manufacturer. Understand the became a Sears brand after 1910?
Old 05-06-2011, 04:37 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tomilu
Here is the freebie DH came home with. Singer Golden Touch and Swear 640. It did clean up nice, but is missing the 5 prong cord and slide plate. My slide plate for the 401 fits it, but I don't want to rob the 401. The plastic gears seem ok, but won't know until I get it running. I was able to download a manual for the 600s and instructions for threading and bobbin winding for this model. Now to locate the parts.
Tommie
I'm thinking you can buy those cords from Jenny at sewclassicblog - she has good prices and good service.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:38 PM

http://neworleans.craigslist.org/atq/2365572119.html

This one just might want to find a cozy home with me. I really like the cabinet. Says it is a singer.....
Old 05-06-2011, 05:01 PM

HELP - I have a lovely 15-91. Just gave her a good cleaning (inside and out per Billy's tute) and she sews like a charm. HOWEVER, the minute that I loosen the thumb screw to lower the feed dogs....no more sewing! She makes a feeble attempt and catches about every 10th stitch, but I cannot do FMQ at all! I have the FMQ foot on, the presser foot is lowered, I'm holding the fabric tight and low...... The minute I raise the feed dogs up, she sews fine again.

Any hints?

Thanks,
Linda
Old 05-06-2011, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by San Diego Quilter
HELP - I have a lovely 15-91. Just gave her a good cleaning (inside and out per Billy's tute) and she sews like a charm. HOWEVER, the minute that I loosen the thumb screw to lower the feed dogs....no more sewing! She makes a feeble attempt and catches about every 10th stitch, but I cannot do FMQ at all! I have the FMQ foot on, the presser foot is lowered, I'm holding the fabric tight and low...... The minute I raise the feed dogs up, she sews fine again.

Any hints?

Thanks,
Linda
When the feed dogs are lowered you have to move the fabric or it won't sew. I have a 15-90 that I treadle and it does fmq
with no problems at all. I use a 90/14 top stitch needle and that seems to help too.
Sharon W.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Grandmother23
http://neworleans.craigslist.org/atq/2365572119.html

This one just might want to find a cozy home with me. I really like the cabinet. Says it is a singer.....
I don't think its a Singer. The cabinet is like none I've ever seen.
Very interesting.
Sharon W.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:22 PM

Old 05-06-2011, 07:01 PM

Very nice finds on the "new" machines!! So pretty and giving me the gotta find one fever. There are several garage sales in my area tomorrow, and I am on the hunt. I know one treadle is out there, but I haven't seen it yet. I already have 3 sphinxes so hope it is something I don't already have. I, like so many board members, am on a sewing machine diet, and am trying to only get what I don't already have. You never know though, if the price is right, it is hard to let one get by even if you already have one. Have a good weekend everyone!!

P.S. Thanks, tomilu for your help.