Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1532 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 532 1032 1432 1482 1522 1531 1532 1533 1542 1582 1632 ... LastLast
Results 38,276 to 38,300 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    I wonder if my New Home is a clone of that?
    It is not really a 15 clone - yet similar.
    Can you show some pics of the bobbin, the under side and the nose?
    Name:  007.JPG
Views: 193
Size:  128.8 KB
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Blog Entries
    What beautiful decals on your 115, pinkCastle.

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    I wonder if my New Home is a clone of that?
    It is not really a 15 clone - yet similar.
    Can you show some pics of the bobbin, the under side and the nose?
    Miriam,

Not yet. I haven't got a bobbin case in it yet. As far as I can tell the only difference between the 115 and the early 15s is that the 115 is a full rotary hook where the 15 is oscillating. I think you can tell the difference by watching the hook motion as you turn the hand wheel. In general, though, if your machine looks like a 15 but has a different mechanism under there it might well be a 115 clone.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkCastleDH View Post
    Miriam,

Not yet. I haven't got a bobbin case in it yet. As far as I can tell the only difference between the 115 and the early 15s is that the 115 is a full rotary hook where the 15 is oscillating. I think you can tell the difference by watching the hook motion as you turn the hand wheel. In general, though, if your machine looks like a 15 but has a different mechanism under there it might well be a 115 clone.
    Now I'm going to have to go look...

Quote Originally Posted by blueheavenfla View Post
    What beautiful decals on your 115, pinkCastle.
    Heh, heh - Herself would probably take umbrage at me usurping her user name

Those decals were the only reason we went down to Madison to look at the machine. Herself fell in love with them even from crappy Craigslist photos and nothing would do but to go get that machine. I'm looking forward to using it myself as Charlee says the 115s are very nice for sewing. I also want to check out the differences between using a oscillating hook (66) and rotating hook (115) on a treadle. Maybe even a vibrating shuttle (the 27 that's down stairs waiting for its chance in front of the camera). Of course that will lead to my wanting hand cranks of each style as well so I'll have to find a rotary hand crank machine. Suggestions, anyone?

Blog Entries
    Sorry DH, I guess I wasn't paying attention. I just got a 99 hand crank in my nasty bunch of 6 machines. All were a dirty, mismatched mess but I am making progress with them.The 99, unfortunately is missing the bobbin cover plate. I don't begin to know where to look for one. Got the whole bunch of machines on Craig's List so keep watching for one...your day will come. You northern folks seem to have more to choose from than we do here in FL. I think people get rid of the machines up there before they move down here.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkCastleDH View Post
    Heh, heh - Herself would probably take umbrage at me usurping her user name

Those decals were the only reason we went down to Madison to look at the machine. Herself fell in love with them even from crappy Craigslist photos and nothing would do but to go get that machine. I'm looking forward to using it myself as Charlee says the 115s are very nice for sewing. I also want to check out the differences between using a oscillating hook (66) and rotating hook (115) on a treadle. Maybe even a vibrating shuttle (the 27 that's down stairs waiting for its chance in front of the camera). Of course that will lead to my wanting hand cranks of each style as well so I'll have to find a rotary hand crank machine. Suggestions, anyone?

Blog Entries
    Sorry DH, I guess I wasn't paying attention. I just got a 99 hand crank in my nasty bunch of 6 machines. All were a dirty, mismatched mess but I am making progress with them.The 99, unfortunately is missing the bobbin cover plate. I don't begin to know where to look for one. Got the whole bunch of machines on Craig's List so keep watching for one...your day will come. You northern folks seem to have more to choose from than we do here in FL. I think people get rid of the machines up there before they move down here.
    sew classic has the slide plate

Sorry DH, I guess I wasn't paying attention.
    Not a problem by me - her avatar is cuter (though not as cute as the subject!)

I just got a 99 hand crank in my nasty bunch of 6 machines. All were a dirty, mismatched mess but I am making progress with them.The 99, unfortunately is missing the bobbin cover plate. I don't begin to know where to look for one. Got the whole bunch of machines on Craig's List so keep watching for one...your day will come. You northern folks seem to have more to choose from than we do here in FL. I think people get rid of the machines up there before they move down here.
    Sew Classics. I believe (someone will correct me if I'm wrong) that the 99's cover plate is the same as the 66's and I just ordered one for one of the 66s from them.

I've seen some beautiful machines being sold from Florida on eBay so I know they're down there. Far too many of them were pickup only, however.

Joe,
    IDT is the built in full time walking foot that some Pfaffs have. I wish all machines had it. My Pfaff 1222E has this feature. There is a lever that pulls down from behind the presser foot. You can see what it looks like at this website.

http://www.pfaffmachines.co.uk/pfaff-idt.htm
    Sharon

Nancy, Sharon,

Thanks for the scoop on the IDT. It sounds very interesting. Perhaps someday I'll "trip" into a Pfaff that has it.

Joe

Blog Entries
    Miriam and pCDH,
    Thanks, I have been compiling a list and getting an order together to send them. I guess that I missed seeing that cover plate when I was perusing their site.

Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
    Hi Grayhare,
    I don't have a 101 and haven't used a machine that has a potted motor. I just like sewing machine trivia and its fun to learn about the different models.
    Sharon
    Hi purplefiend,
    I totally agree with you it is fun learning about the different sewing machines, companies, and I do enjoy working on them.
    Anamaria

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jennb View Post

This is the 1886 Singer 115 treadle I picked up yesterday. She's got 2 bobbins but no attachments. I think I have attachments that will fit her though. She just needs a little oil and a belt to be up and running.
    Attachment 367072
    Attachment 367073
    Attachment 367074
    Attachment 367075
    Attachment 367076
    Jennb, This machine is Singer VS2. Clue to this is the fiddle base.

Here is a link to all information on Singer VS machines with excellent charts on the differences of this grouping of machines. Also, talks about shuttles and knock-off machines of that time period.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singer_Model_27_and_127

Have fun reading!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grayhare View Post
    Hi purplefiend,
    I totally agree with you it is fun learning about the different sewing machines, companies, and I do enjoy working on them.
    Anamaria
    I can't get enough variety either.

Blog Entries

Miriam,
    The Franklin in the parlor cabinet is causing major amounts of drooling. I'm so glad its in Indiana!
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    Jennb, This machine is Singer VS2. Clue to this is the fiddle base.
    Well, at the risk of muddying the waters .... there was a fiddle bed version of the 15, not the 115 (it's too "new")
    You can see the 15 FB here:
    http://thevintageseamstress.blogspot...d-tonight.html
    http://www.sewmuse.co.uk/singer%20improved%20family.htm

Gorgeous. I'd love to see one in person, better yet, get my grubby paws on one... They're rare rare rare though from what I can tell. Even google showed me only a couple of pictures.

Blog Entries
    Name:  047.JPG
Views: 239
Size:  144.3 KB
    my poor little DGS be praying

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
    Well, at the risk of muddying the waters .... there was a fiddle bed version of the 15, not the 115 (it's too "new")
    You can see the 15 FB here:
    http://thevintageseamstress.blogspot...d-tonight.html
    http://www.sewmuse.co.uk/singer%20improved%20family.htm

Gorgeous. I'd love to see one in person, better yet, get my grubby paws on one... They're rare rare rare though from what I can tell. Even google showed me only a couple of pictures.
    Yes, I'm aware of those Singers' 15. I have seen them before in my many google searches of vintage sewing machines. My point to Jenn, was to start her research with the fiddle base and then go from there since she didn't know that she had a Singer VS2. Wiki does a very good job of describing the differences. There is more to just the fiddle base in deciding what type of sewing machine. But I have an advantage at knowing that was a Singer VS2 since I own one.

Jenn, Enjoy that machine! The Singer VS2 produce beautiful stitches. Very nice machine!!!

Blog Entries
    This was a week ago - he has some kind of infection inside & up above that sore - last Friday DD took him to the Dr and the Dr freaked and referred him to the ENT. That night/early morning he couldn't breathe so DD said he needed to go to the hospital - he got in the car and tried to buckle up. The hospital ER looked at him & tried make him comfortable and told her to take him to the ENT. Sunday he felt pretty good - he was talking plainly, running and playing. Monday he was back to sitting in a dark corner and holding his head and having nose bleeds. This morning we took him to the ENT who looked up in his sinus area with a scope (I was keeping the 10 month old busy) Great Grandma had the 3 girls. ENT said there is an infection and sent her back to his Dr. Somehow we got an appointment for this afternoon. Dr spent a bit of time with him. He has an infection (possibly one of the super infections - this is very serious if so) His Dr. was able to make a culture from a sore on his leg. You can see from the picture above, he can only breathe through his mouth. He is on some serious medication. Please pray for Wilbur. If you think he looks miserable in that pic you should see him now.... This afternoon I sat with the girls and the baby while we waited an hour and a half for his Dr visit. The girls barely moved.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    Yes, I'm aware of those Singers' 15. I have seen them before in my many google searches of vintage sewing machines. My point to Jenn, was to start her research with the fiddle base and then go from there since she didn't know that she had a Singer VS2. Wiki does a very good job of describing the differences. There is more to just the fiddle base in deciding what type of sewing machine. But I have an advantage at knowing that was a Singer VS2 since I own one.

Jenn, Enjoy that machine! The Singer VS2 produce beautiful stitches. Very nice machine!!!
    This IS good to know!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    Name:  047.JPG
Views: 239
Size:  144.3 KB
    my poor little DGS be praying
    Miriam, I'm saying a prayer for him. And <<hugs>> go to you too!

Blog Entries
    I will certainly pray for little Wilbur that his body will respond to the meds in a positive way and he will be as comfortable as possible while doing so. The super infections are so frightening.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
    I will certainly pray for little Wilbur that his body will respond to the meds in a positive way and he will be as comfortable as possible while doing so. The super infections are so frightening.
    We know this could be a huge fight his Dr pretty much gave DD the lowdown on it. We will know more on Friday when the culture comes back. Thanks for praying.

Hello all,
    Newhere and I think it's great that you are helping people new to vintagemachines...I have always wanted one because I remember my grandmother using itto make all her quilts. That is until she broke down and bought an electricone.

Anyway, I finally got one and I thought it was a really good deal because ofthe one's I have seen on the internet and how much those were and the conditionthey were in...WOW...

My machine is a white and the last patent date is 1913 (I think) is in reallygood shape and I believe all the parts are there and I even got a box ofattachments...lucky me...

Well thecabinet it came in is not so lucky to have survived the 100 years it’s beenaround…looks like someone had left it out where it could get moisture in the woodveneer and is cracked, peeling and moldy. My hubby has some veneer that looks like the same as what’s on themachine, but my question is…would it be better for the value of the machine tojust clean it up and fix it or are there just so many out there that I reallyshouldn’t worry about lowering the value of my machine?
    I haveno plans on selling it, I just want to put it in my sewing room and maybe tryto sew something on it (but not a whole quilt)
    Sorry,if this is a repeat question, but with almost 4000 posts I don’t have time togo through them all.
    Thanksfor any help and glad to be here.
    Kat