Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-05-2011, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Nancy why did you not tell me years ago how much fun collecting can be. When I get back from the Bahamas I plan on having the White cabinet restored and look for another cabinet for the Miss Nancy machine. Kathie
Wooooo Hooooo, who would have known you would become a real collector? Look what you have now -- a great collection of vintage machines!!!!! You go girl!

Nancy
Old 05-05-2011, 09:29 AM

I want to thank each and everyone of you that have prayed for me and hubbys family. His sister just passed away. Kathie
Old 05-05-2011, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by sewnserge
Hi Nancy - As you can tell I am a real novice, feeling around in the dark.... Thought I was so cool, could tell the model.. Sigh. Well, I am always willing to learn!! :oops: Now, I am not even sure if this is the serial number... it is the number on the flat part of the machine, in front of the main part of the body of the machine, below the medallion. It is
G1097672
If you could help me learn more about her, I would be delighted! Thanks for any help you can offer!!!
Geeze, it is a MODEL 15!!!!!! I thought so, but I didn't know the Model 15's went back that far! You have a Model 15 allotted on March 29, 1911! Does that machine back tack or is that lever just a stitch regulator??????

Ok that machine should drop its feed dogs for FM quilting!!!!! It takes a normal 15x1 needle - the Schmetz work great! It takes a class 15 bobbin, those are readily available everywhere! Please post a close up picture of the machine decals and the face of the machine! I want to see the decals better! You can get the belts at most sewing repair shops and on-line for about $6 to $10. They all come 72", you just need to size it for your treadle and machine!

Nancy
I don't think that the model 115 had the dropping feed dogs. I am pretty sure that came along later. I do love my Singer 15's
are wonderful for free motion quilting.
Sharon W.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:40 AM

Kathie the machines do have a clear coat. It is called the japan finish, which is the last coat on the machine, and yes the japan does 'go bad' - more like it starts doing the 'crazying' thing and looks cracked all over. The japan finish does come off too. I would go over the machine with Liquid Gold to see if you can clean it that way as the Liquid Gold is what Billy recommends to fill in the cracks in the japan to cover up that crazing look.

Nancy
The japan finish on my Singer 66-1 Redeye is all crazed, I might try the Liquid Gold; provided that it isn't smelly. It sews
a wonderful stitch, I used it to make swap blocks for Treadleon.
Sharon W.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:50 AM

I posted this request on page 1018 and did'nt get an answer. I did not go to look at this machine yet as the person selling it had an unexpected trip out of town. I do still want your input, and still might look at this machine. Hope you can shed some light on this model.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:10 AM

Quick Questions on SINGER 127s.....

Re: Singer 127 (full size, with ejector on the shuttle)...

Q1: Research shows they take 'long bobbins'. How 'long' are they? Can anyone measure one to tell me what it is? I have the bullet thingy, but I've never seen the bobbins... don't know how they go in the bullet, etc. Clueless. lol.

Q2: In purchasing additional/correct 127 'long' bobbins; can I buy NEW ones? Or is it like the old 66's where the machines are finicky and only work well or only will wind them... if they are the vintage/antique ones???

Billy... odd ball question: I've got TWO, full sized, 14" x 8" bed, 127's - but both are electrified (belted motors) and in SQUARE cloth top cases.

According to sewmacs, the full sized 127's were usually treadled. It was the 128s (3/4 sized machines) that were usually electrified, or cranked and in round (post box) wood cases. The S/N's on one is G0382989.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:37 AM

Farmstitcher, I have a reg. 306 machine and it takes the 206X13 needle which you can still find. This machine will also use a double needle. I am going to list some of the features of my 306 and maybe it will be the same as what you are looking at.
Full vision bobbin case,calibrated tension for accurate adjustment,reversible feed,calibrated stitch regulator,smooth seamless throat plates,positive feed for handling all types of fabrics,oneway needle clamp makes it almost impossible to place needle in clamp incorrectly,takes the fashion discs for making decorative stitches. Hope this helps you in your decision. I like mine but don't know if I want to treadle it also have another one DH is going to put a hand crank on it. Here's a picture of mine.

Singer 306
[ATTACH=CONFIG]193331[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-193325.jpe  
Old 05-05-2011, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Farmstitcher, I have a reg. 306 machine and it takes the 206X13 needle which you can still find. This machine will also use a double needle. I am going to list some of the features of my 306 and maybe it will be the same as what you are looking at.
Full vision bobbin case,calibrated tension for accurate adjustment,reversible feed,calibrated stitch regulator,smooth seamless throat plates,positive feed for handling all types of fabrics,oneway needle clamp makes it almost impossible to place needle in clamp incorrectly,takes the fashion discs for making decorative stitches. Hope this helps you in your decision. I like mine but don't know if I want to treadle it also have another one DH is going to put a hand crank on it. Here's a picture of mine.

Thanks so much Trish, yours is very nice. Do you like it for FMQ too? I appreciate your answer.

Forgot to mention....a lady gave me a set of 24 cams for this model so that is a plus!
Old 05-05-2011, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Kathie, I have a Jones just like yours. I think your decals might be in better shape and I do not have a stand or cover for it like you do. I love it. :-D
Do you use your Jones? I do not plan on using mine. Do you have a manuel with yours? I do not. Lucky they left it threaded, but it looks easy to thread. Kathie[/quote]

No, I don't use mine. So far, it is deco on the sideboard my DH built and the grandkids like to turn the hand crank when they are here. I get real excited when we see hand cranks being used in movies of the 1930s. I do not have a manual.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Kathie, I have a Jones just like yours. I think your decals might be in better shape and I do not have a stand or cover for it like you do. I love it. :-D
I don't remember seeing a picture of your Serpentine? Can you post a picture of your Jones machine?

Nancy
LOL... I think it may be back in prior to 200 pages! I will try to look for it. It may take a while though... lol

OK, back on page 25 is a photo of my white rotary with the Jones pictured in the back. I am still looking for a better photo though. :-D