Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-23-2011, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Bennett
Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
Originally Posted by MrsBoats
I picked up a gallon ziploc bag of misc sewing stuff at my favorite thrift shop the other day, and now I've got some mystery feet I'm hoping the hive mind can help me ID.

Also, as you can see, some of them are rusty, or otherwise dirty? What's a good way of cleaning them?
Evaporust. You can get it at Harbor Freight.

Texas Jan
Question about the Evaporust--do you put anything on the parts to protect them afterward? I'm thinking flat pieces would be easy to polish, but I think I might really go nuts if I had to polish a ruffler. :)
It says on the bottle that if you pull it out of the Evaporust and let it air dry it is good for two weeks of protection.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:34 AM
Power Poster

I saw this on CL and finally figured out (I think) it's an Elna Plana Supermatic. Can anyone give me the skinny on it? How hard are they to take care of? Hard to find attachments? Straight stitch only? Thanks!

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/hsh/2507357346.html
Very nice machine - open the little door and see if it has a disc holder - they have a very nice stitch. You do have to make sure the gears don't crud up with lint. The attachments are all low shank. The disks are on Ebay. I think a while back I posted a place to get service & owner's manuals - fantastic price - I sold the one I had for $75. You should be able to find a cord on line.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
Are the bullet shaped shuttles made to go on just one machine or can one from an old bag of parts fit?
I'm using a bullet shaped shuttle from my Free No.5 machine in my Singer VS2 right now since the Singer didn't come with a shuttle. It works!! The shuttle holders/carrier (whatever that thing is called) are the same in both machines; so, I figured that the shuttle must work too. I can't imagine that there were that many different shuttle companies making shuttles/carriers back then -must of been just of few. If you don't mind trial and error then just see if the shuttle fits and works.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibrating_shuttle
Old 07-23-2011, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
Speaking of quilts finished on vintage machines, we had a sew-in at guild meeting yesterday and did a Jelly Roll Race. I took my 301a with me, and guess what....we WON the Jelly Roll Race. There were lots of high $$$ modern machines and about 6 FWs there too, but me and Ida took the prize!!! WooHoo!! Who says 60 years is old? Ida and I were both "born" in 1951. :-) I was so pleased that she did so well....she just purred along!!
Congratulations!

Isn't it amazing just how fast 301 sew? I can't get over it. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 07-23-2011, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by nickylsf
Originally Posted by jljack
Speaking of quilts finished on vintage machines, we had a sew-in at guild meeting yesterday and did a Jelly Roll Race. I took my 301a with me, and guess what....we WON the Jelly Roll Race. There were lots of high $$$ modern machines and about 6 FWs there too, but me and Ida took the prize!!! WooHoo!! Who says 60 years is old? Ida and I were both "born" in 1951. :-) I was so pleased that she did so well....she just purred along!!
Hi Janice, congrats on your victory! The 301's look really cool. What do you look for? Is the long bed more desirable? Black or Tan? What is a good price? Thanks, Nicky
In the past 6 weeks I have purchased 2 - 301a off of craigslist and both were in cabinets and both came with attachments.

The first one I paid $150~~it came with a photocopied manual, lots of attachments and a buttonholer.

The second one I paid $70~~also came with lots of attachements, buttonholder, a zigzagger and an original manual. Almost forgot to mention this one came with the original little bench too.

Mine are both the tan/rose color. :-D
Old 07-23-2011, 09:02 AM

I saw this on CL and finally figured out (I think) it's an Elna Plana Supermatic. Can anyone give me the skinny on it? How hard are they to take care of? Hard to find attachments? Straight stitch only? Thanks!

Very nice machine - open the little door and see if it has a disc holder - they have a very nice stitch. You do have to make sure the gears don't crud up with lint. The attachments are all low shank. The disks are on Ebay. I think a while back I posted a place to get service & owner's manuals - fantastic price - I sold the one I had for $75. You should be able to find a cord on line.
Thanks for the info Miriam!
----------------------------------

I've been browsing CL more than cleaning house this morning and saw this ad, expecting to see something that looked like it had been in someone's leaky barn for 50 years:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/atq/2505353052.html

The machine looks in lovely condition at least.

After a little "oh no!" moment, I had to smile because
1. They must really love their dog.
2. They have a sense of humor.
3. They're honest. Just wish they had some after pics.

EDIT: See Treadlep's comments below about the FAKE CL ad. Important lesson today--be wary and question everything!
Old 07-23-2011, 09:14 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for the info Miriam!
----------------------------------

I've been browsing CL more than cleaning house this morning and saw this ad, expecting to see something that looked like it had been in someone's leaky barn for 50 years:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/atq/2505353052.html

The machine looks in lovely condition at least.

After a little "oh no!" moment, I had to smile because
1. They must really love their dog.
2. They have a sense of humor.
3. They're honest. Just wish they had some after pics.
just don't throw your back out as you get your wallet out of your pocket...
Old 07-23-2011, 09:19 AM

Bennett: I'm not sure those folks with the CL listing for the well-used Richmond treadle are all that honest. Their "before" pictures are my exact Richmond treadle sitting in my exact living room in CA, as posted exactly on page 983 on this thread. I was gobsmacked to open that ad---and then not very happy at all!

Treadlep
Old 07-23-2011, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by treadlep
Bennett: I'm not sure those folks with the CL listing for the well-used Richmond treadle are all that honest. Their "before" pictures are my exact Richmond treadle sitting in my exact living room in CA, as posted exactly on page 983 on this thread. I was gobsmacked to open that ad---and then not very happy at all!

Treadlep
Dang! I did think it was a little weird they didn't have after pictures. I would be angry too. I went back and flagged it.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:11 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by treadlep

Treadlep
Dang! I did think it was a little weird they didn't have after pictures. I would be angry too. I went back and flagged it.
it's still there - I would be upset - even more upsetting it was from somebody on the Quilting Board...