Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1153 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 153 653 1053 1103 1143 1152 1153 1154 1163 1203 1253 1653 ... LastLast
Results 28,801 to 28,825 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quilt addict View Post
    Charlee, I bought some leather boot laces at
    Walmart last week and they just look too thin to stand up to be a treadle belt. It was all they had and the length is 72" but they are just a narrow strip of flat leather, smooth on one side and unfinished leather on the back. I am not sure one put a hole in it to join the ends that it would not tear out of the side.

Is this what you use or should I look at a regular shoe/boot store for some meatier ones?
    It's probably what I use...I get mine where ever I see one....they are skinnier than the regular belts, but they work just fine. I use a sewing awl to mark/punch a hole, laying the "belt" down on a block of wood after I cut it to length. The one you got is probably just fine!
    This one is put together using the staple from the original belt...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

I recently bought a Singer 319w which came complete with all cams and manual and extras. The man's mom and
    grandma were seamstresses. The only issue it has is the needle hits the bobbin area. I'm thinking it probably has the
    wrong needle as I know they take a 206x13. My question is how do I know the difference in right verses wrong needle?
    Could it be a timing thing? My second question is where is the serial number? My other vintage machines display it on
    the base or column. I researched that they were only made 1955-57 but I'd like to find out the specifics. I don't post
    often but read this thread daily and have learned an enormous amount. Mostly I appreciate the characters and funnies of the regulars and have gotten to know you all well. Thanks for it all.
    Annie

Quote Originally Posted by hootnannie View Post
    I recently bought a Singer 319w which came complete with all cams and manual and extras. The man's mom and
    grandma were seamstresses. The only issue it has is the needle hits the bobbin area. I'm thinking it probably has the
    wrong needle as I know they take a 206x13. My question is how do I know the difference in right verses wrong needle?
    Could it be a timing thing? My second question is where is the serial number? My other vintage machines display it on
    the base or column. I researched that they were only made 1955-57 but I'd like to find out the specifics. I don't post
    often but read this thread daily and have learned an enormous amount. Mostly I appreciate the characters and funnies of the regulars and have gotten to know you all well. Thanks for it all.
    You're going to need the 206 x 13 needles anyway, so you might as well buy some and give them a try. Though if the machine is seriously hitting the case, it sounds like it may be out of time. I had to retime mine as well in the cleaning process. You just undo the screws (2) in the bobbin assembly area and you can move the bobbin assembly. It took me a looong time of moving over a smidge and rotating the handwheel, moving it over a smidge and rotating the handwheel to make sure it was timed correctly. Yes, the serial # isn't going to tell you anything about date on this machine.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    Wow...I want to know which auction site this machine is selling for $1,300 for!

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2740961255.html
    Haha!! Not likely!! Man...these people are delusional!!!

I have not been using all of my machines. I know that they need oiling every so often.
    How offen does any one suggest on a machine that just sits. Kathie

Candace, is there a serial number on these and if so where would I find it?
    Annie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    Wow...I want to know which auction site this machine is selling for $1,300 for!

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2740961255.html
    If you can find the auction site let me know. I would like to sell a machine for $1,300 sure would help out this Christmas wouldn't it.
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Anyone in Queens NY to pick up a really nice deal listed on ebay with lovely cabinet and Two! sewing machine heads? See this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Singer-Sewin...item35b7767829 I would go for it if I were down there!

Blog Entries
    Testing the FM quilting with the Davis NVF. Nancy once mentioned that this could be done. I have only straight stitched with the Davis, but today I gave the FM a try (no feed dogs on this machine). I slowly followed the lines of a pattern on a separate fabric (I'm not gifted in drawing). I turned this into a potholder. I used another fabric for the top that I just quilted curvy lines on it. The silver fabric is the ironing board fabric that I picked up at JoAnn's.
    Name:  IMG_4002.JPG
Views: 320
Size:  1.36 MBName:  IMG_4004.JPG
Views: 319
Size:  1.13 MB Name:  IMG_4006.JPG
Views: 324
Size:  1.87 MB Name:  IMG_4007.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  837.7 KB

Wow nice job!!

Blog Entries
    That is beautiful!! I'm gonna have to give it a try now!!! Dang it! Another project!! LOL!
    And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28

Randa

Blog Entries
    Thank you! It's an easy and fast project! The binding took the the longest.

Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    Testing the FM quilting with the Davis NVF. Nancy once mentioned that this could be done. I have only straight stitched with the Davis, but today I gave the FM a try (no feed dogs on this machine). I slowly followed the lines of a pattern on a separate fabric (I'm not gifted in drawing). I turned this into a potholder. I used another fabric for the top that I just quilted curvy lines on it. The silver fabric is the ironing board fabric that I picked up at JoAnn's.
    Neato! I tried FMQ on my 319 and it didn't work. Luckily, I have so many other machines that do nice FMQ, it was no big loss.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    Testing the FM quilting with the Davis NVF. Nancy once mentioned that this could be done. I have only straight stitched with the Davis, but today I gave the FM a try (no feed dogs on this machine). I slowly followed the lines of a pattern on a separate fabric (I'm not gifted in drawing). I turned this into a potholder. I used another fabric for the top that I just quilted curvy lines on it. The silver fabric is the ironing board fabric that I picked up at JoAnn
    Name:  IMG_4002.JPG
Views: 320
Size:  1.36 MBName:  IMG_4004.JPG
Views: 319
Size:  1.13 MB Name:  IMG_4006.JPG
Views: 324
Size:  1.87 MB Name:  IMG_4007.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  837.7 KB

Very nice work there Vintagemotif, I now may have to keep a lookout for aVF
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Great Job vintagemotif, Love it.
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

my sewing buddy has a Kenmore model 117-959, serial # 166828, she needs some bobbins for it but don't know what to buy. Any help would sure help her out. She don't have the internet, so I told her I'd ask the experts on the quilting board. Thanks ever so much.

Hi all, Hope someone can answer a few questions I have.

I recently aquired 2 Featherweight sewing machines. One black, one white.

I was told by the seller that the black one was rare because of where the word 'Singer' is stamped. Instead of it being on the light cover, it is stamped right on the top of the machine itself. I've tried to search online for info on it but have found nothing. Is this a common thing thing for the machine?

About the white one....I was told they were manufactured as part of an agreement to the Native Americans for some reason which I can't remember. Like with the black machine, I have been unable to find any information to back up her claims. Does anyone know anything about these things?

Thanks for reading.

Ronnie
    Daffy

Quote Originally Posted by AKDaffyodil View Post
    Hi all, Hope someone can answer a few questions I have.

I recently aquired 2 Featherweight sewing machines. One black, one white.

I was told by the seller that the black one was rare because of where the word 'Singer' is stamped. Instead of it being on the light cover, it is stamped right on the top of the machine itself. I've tried to search online for info on it but have found nothing. Is this a common thing thing for the machine?

About the white one....I was told they were manufactured as part of an agreement to the Native Americans for some reason which I can't remember. Like with the black machine, I have been unable to find any information to back up her claims. Does anyone know anything about these things?

Thanks for reading.

Ronnie
    Ronnie, I have 6 black featherweights and they all have Singer on the top of them. I also have 4 white with the green tint to them and I don't believe the story about making them for the Native Americans Most where made in Scotland and there is also a tan one, the tan ones are rare, the other 2 colors are abundantly for sale on ebay, check them out.
    I hope this helps.

I changed the needle in my 319W the other night, and until I got it seated right, it hit the bobbin area. I was using the correct needle, it just wasn't in right. It seems like the needle screw had to be low on the needle bar; it has a little up and down variance, but when I put it at the bottom, it did good. Miriam was having trouble with a needle bar issue. She has a lot of 319 info. Good luck!!

P.S. Also, the 206x13 needle is different from a regular 15x1 needle in that the eye is right at the end. The size is in engraved on the needle shank on the round side, so you know which one it is. And the serial number is on the bottom of the machine, when you flip it back out of the case/cabinet, on the left "foot." The needle screw has a little triangle piece that holds the needle in place. Candace and Miriam have been discussing it and Candace was supposed to send Miriam pics. Maybe one of them could post them here.
    Last edited by melinda1962; 12-08-2011 at 05:06 PM.
    Melinda

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by melinda1962 View Post
    I changed the needle in my 319W the other night, and until I got it seated right, it hit the bobbin area. I was using the correct needle, it just wasn't in right. It seems like the needle screw had to be low on the needle bar; it has a little up and down variance, but when I put it at the bottom, it did good. Miriam was having trouble with a needle bar issue. She has a lot of 319 info. Good luck!!

P.S. Also, the 206x13 needle is different from a regular 15x1 needle in that the eye is right at the end. The size is in engraved on the needle shank on the round side, so you know which one it is. And the serial number is on the bottom of the machine, when you flip it back out of the case/cabinet, on the left "foot." The needle screw has a little triangle piece that holds the needle in place. Candace and Miriam have been discussing it and Candace was supposed to send Miriam pics. Maybe one of them could post them here.
    I have so not arrived yet on the 319. I haven't had a lot of time lately. Candace did send some pics. I'm missing a little screw thing that goes on the end of my needle clamp. I did get the thing to go together in about 2 seconds once I saw how she did it. I'm kind of hoping Candace will post it on the 319 thing we have going where I worked on mine a while back. I found some disks for it and I have a pretty good kit. DH says if I get it sewing he will rewire for me. I'm hoping work will ease up next week. I'm also hoping that screw is for looks.... wink.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by valleyquiltermo View Post
    my sewing buddy has a Kenmore model 117-959, serial # 166828, she needs some bobbins for it but don't know what to buy. Any help would sure help her out. She don't have the internet, so I told her I'd ask the experts on the quilting board. Thanks ever so much.
    Go check sew-classic - Jenny is VERY helpful and has all kinds of parts and such.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathie S. View Post
    I have not been using all of my machines. I know that they need oiling every so often.
    How offen does any one suggest on a machine that just sits. Kathie
    Oh, you'll know if they need oiled when you go to use them and they sound funny.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    If you can find the auction site let me know. I would like to sell a machine for $1,300 sure would help out this Christmas wouldn't it.
    ROTFLMBO Glen - couldn't we all use some extra $$$ might have to fill the gas tank.

Blog Entries
    I don't post often but read this thread daily and have learned an enormous amount. Mostly I appreciate the characters and funnies of the regulars and have gotten to know you all well. Thanks for it all.
    Yup, we are really just a bunch of muppets - you just have to imagine what we look like.

Oh, you'll know if they need oiled when you go to use them and they sound funny.[/QUOTE] Miriam I do not plan on using the ones that from the 1800's. I do keep them covered but want to keep up with the matinence on them. I just do notknow how often to do it. Kathie