Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1151 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 151 651 1051 1101 1141 1150 1151 1152 1161 1201 1251 1651 ... LastLast
Results 28,751 to 28,775 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Quote Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
    As a side note, the machine I bought from Goodwill was clean, bright and shiny and works perfectly. Probably the strongest motor in the house (Matsushti). It shipped for a whopping $17+ and was well packed though the box was flimsier than I would have chosen. I paid $6.99, plus the $2 fee. It's a Japanese machine branded Admiral, apparently made by Brother, but it looks like a Necchi. The feed dogs do drop and it has the vertical bobbin I want for FMQ. So why do I want to sell it? Because I have too many machines and still want another 301 and a Redeye.

I can understand the desire for a colored machine, though I would like my next 301 in black.

Candace, I do want to congratulate you on finding another 301. My previous post didn't sound like that.
    Thanks;>

You got quite the deal then.

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    I've picked up 3 machines from the local Goodwill auction site. All three were nice machines and fantastic prices. It seems they always need some kind of work though.
    Yes, but you picked them up! Add another $30-$40 for shipping the deal isn't so great...

Am trying to post a picture of my purchase yesterday. Took my list with me with your suggestions as to what to look for and the machine passed the test so came home with me. I hope this works, am not liking this new board!!!!

Well that was simple. Must have been to tired to figure it out last night. She needs cleaned up and if someone could send me in the right directions for needles and I think it is suppose to have a rubber disc on the bobbin winder that sits against the wheel to wind it.

This is my very first one so all help is appreciated. Have been doing a lot of reading on this board in anticipation of the day I would own one. Thanks!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by crewsemj; 12-06-2011 at 08:22 AM.
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...5F1E81D66A.png
    Whatever I said in anger, Whatever I shouted in spite, I'm sorry I spoke so quickly--I thought of some worse ones tonight.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crewsemj View Post
    Am trying to post a picture of my purchase yesterday. Took my list with me with your suggestions as to what to look for and the machine passed the test so came home with me. I hope this works, am not liking this new board!!!!

Well that was simple. Must have been to tired to figure it out last night. She needs cleaned up and if someone could send me in the right directions for needles and I think it is suppose to have a rubber disc on the bobbin winder that sits against the wheel to wind it.

This is my very first one so all help is appreciated. Have been doing a lot of reading on this board in anticipation of the day I would own one. Thanks!!
    Beautiful decals on your New Home! I would just clean her up with sewing oil to preserve those gorgeous decals. No other chemicals, please.

I also love the quilt that is behind your machine, very lovely. Is that a braided quilt made of scraps?

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    The handy little FW and I have been traveling this weekend, so I need to catch back up around here!

I did have another Red Eye (G0454177, Nov. 13, 1923) follow me home on Friday from an estate sale. I think it was cold and lonely sitting on a garage floor. Either that or it didn't want to be made into a lamp like the man watching the door and taking money suggested because it firmly attached itself to my hand and stayed there for the half-block walk to my car. Why do people always look shocked when you say you're going to use one of these sewing machines for sewing??? It doesn't move well and needs a good cleaning, but no rust, and the only decal wear I see is on the bed where it was used. I think I'm going to switch out the presser bar (side-clamp) and put it on the one I have already treadled (back-clamp).
    Ohhhh a Redeye on my day of Birth.... sigh....... Lucky you!
    “Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes.” - Oscar Wilde

Blog Entries

Really pretty!

Blog Entries

That's a lovely New Home machine & treadle cabinet. There are lots of tutorials on this board on how to clean the machine and the cabinet. A standard bobbin winder tire will fit it, and you can get all kinds of miscellaneous parts and supplies for your machine at one of the online places, like Sew-Classic.com. She has lots of everything, and good prices, and knows her stuff. If you need help with something, she responds to e-mail right away. I am not affiliated, but had great experience working with her trying to find a small spring I needed, and I have ordered lots of other stuff from her.

crewsemj, that machine is beautiful, just saw one that was also a New Home on CL cabinet looked good but machine looked much neglected.
    Has anyone heard of or used a Domestic sewing machine don't know who makes it but it was in a cabinet, I think I saw 3 of them in the last few days just wondered if anyone has any experience with it. Have to admit the one had a pretty decent price tag, I believe it was going for $60.
    Maria
    Always be true to yourself!

Blog Entries

What a beautiful machine !!! Good cabinet and great decals!! Your first is a first class winner !!!
    Texas Jan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariannaquilts View Post
    Has anyone heard of or used a Domestic sewing machine don't know who makes it but it was in a cabinet, I think I saw 3 of them in the last few days just wondered if anyone has any experience with it. Have to admit the one had a pretty decent price tag, I believe it was going for $60.
    I bought a Domestic off CL. Great machine, needed cleaning up and not much else. GGGRRRR to those who put tape on a machine and then leave others to deal witth the sticky residue. It sews very nicely and gave her to a friend of mine who needed a machine. I paid $20 but she came in a carrying case and not a cabinet. The feed dogs do drop and mine is a 15 clone.
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

Blog Entries
    Happy Saint Nicholas Day!!

Did a little bit of Christmas shopping and now enjoying some Christmas cookies that I picked up at Trader Joe's with a cup of tea.

Used my Standard sewing machine today for a tee towel project. Rose is a sweet machine to sew with, great for top stitching. Next project is the Christmas decorations.

Blog Entries
    Is it St Nicholas day??? My Grandmother used to make us line our boots up by the door (Wisconsin) and the next morning we would find nickles and dimes, oranges, nuts and hard candies in our boots - that was it - no toys. We thought that was pretty cool. How about you? It doesn't take much to make a memory last over 53 years now does it? I know it was that long because it quit happening when she died.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Blog Entries
    My mom didn't fill our shoes, but she would have cookies and hard candies with a special breakfast bread, stollen. Or if she forget to give us the treats in the morning, then when we came home from school or at dinner time we would receive the treats. I made an apple harvest cake last night instead of the stollen.

Blog Entries
    After making some buttonholes with the excellent Singer buttonholer today, I was reading through the manual and discovered that I can monogram with this gadget. So, I gave it a quick test and it works!! Now I just have to practice with it more to make my stitching even and pretty.

These buttonholer gadgets are awesome!! Makes it fun to do buttonholes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    After making some buttonholes with the excellent Singer buttonholer today, I was reading through the manual and discovered that I can monogram with this gadget. So, I gave it a quick test and it works!! Now I just have to practice with it more to make my stitching even and pretty.

I like the older ones best - I don't know why though.

Blog Entries
    I like the older ones best - I don't know why though.
    Because they work!!!

Blog Entries
    Because they work!!!
    something like that - they are easier too - at least the button holes all come out the same

Blog Entries

Very nice New Home and the cabinet is in nice shape. Great find
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Blog Entries
    Does anybody know what size needle the Domestic 153 uses? The manual just has a picture of a needle and no size. I'm wondering if the machine is out of time, needle in backwards or the wrong size needle? Anybody know anything? The machine is pretty cool otherwise.

Blog Entries
    Does anybody know what size needle the Domestic 153 uses? The manual just has a picture of a needle and no size. I'm wondering if the machine is out of time, needle in backwards or the wrong size needle? Anybody know anything? The machine is pretty cool otherwise.
    Miriam have you check the ismacs needle site?
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Lovely machine, I really like the decals. Looks like it shouldn't take too much work at all to clean up. Also, I like the braid quilt in the background.
    I have a screw driver and YouTube--I can fix it!

AVERAGE COST (cash paid) FOR MACHINE
    Year Cost
    1906 - 1912 $36.80 to 41.60
    1913 - 1917 $39.60 to 44.40
    1918 - 1920 $44.40 to 55.60
    1921 - 1928 $60.80 to 67.20
    1928 - 1935 $72.25 to 85.00
    1935 - 1946 $84.00 to 115.00

When you figure folks weren't making more than a couple dollars a week those days - those machines were GOLD!!!
    Then when you look at how well they were made and hold up they ARE gold - GOLDEN YEARS OF AMERICA at that!
    Then today, when you look at a new sewing machine costing less than one day's or one week's work - no wonder they are disposable and if you look at how they are made it is no wonder they have so little value.
    Calculating for inflation, $35 in 1910 is about $800 in 2010. If you spent $100 in 1945, that would be about $1200 in 2010. Frankly, I'd balk at having to spend that much today on a sewing machine. Of course, I don't make clothing and household goods for my entire family either, and I'm not dependent upon my sewing machine to supplement my income.

I think it would be really interesting from a historical standpoint to see how domestic uses of sewing machines, their place of "honor" in the home, and their costs have changed over the years. I'm kinda nerdy like that!

I saw that in the directions for the one I found and was wondering how it turned out. You'll have to share your experiment with us!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    I saw that in the directions for the one I found and was wondering how it turned out. You'll have to share your experiment with us!
    Photo of buttonhole and monogram test. I will have to practice on the placement of the needle after making a shift of the fabric that is required to follow the pattern.
    Name:  Screen shot 2011-12-06 at 5.46.38 PM.png
Views: 322
Size:  583.6 KB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sew wishful View Post
    If I posted a pic of a cabinet could someone here tell me what should go in it? The hole measures 7" x 14" with about a 1" x 3" piece cut out on the left of the machine by the bobbin plate. I love the cabinet but none of the Singers fit in it. Wish I could find a machine to fit it. Or a name or something on it. One large deep drawer on it on the right.
    We can try!
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com