Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-29-2011, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by beaniekins
I have a 27 with the pheasant decals. I had no idea that it was one of the more rare decals. I really love mine. It was the first vintage machine that I got and it got me hooked.

What is the most rare decal for the Singers?

Here's a pic of my pheasant 27. I haven't given her the spa treatment yet.
Beaniekins, the Pheasant decals are extremely hard to find in decent shape! I had one 27 with the Pheasant decals, but the decals were almost completely gone. I would love to find one as nice as yours!

Nancy
Old 07-29-2011, 07:08 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Need some help. Might be loking at a Wheeler and Wilson coffin top treadle on SUnday. Currrent owner does sew but prefers modern to vintage. There are 2 machines and a buunch of attachments and she has no idea goes with what machine. I also have no idea what to look for. She thinks both machines may be great grandmother's machines. Are there any pointers I need to know about a W&W machine and what would I look for regarding attachments?
what kind of price is it? can you buy both, sort them out later then sell one.... lol
Enabler. Yes I can buy both. I don't already have either of the machines and facing serious lack of space problem plus DH might not be sew happy with 2 new machines.
Guilty as charged... Enabler. Sounds sort of like a Batman type name for the bad guy.
surely DH can recognize quality machined work on a good power tool when he sees it??? wouldn't want to get it in the wrong hands now would he???
Old 07-29-2011, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Double Post, Sorry!!

Texas Jan
Wow Texas Jan, I am always surprised to see what shows up when these old machines start to shed the gunk! She is going to be very purrrrty!

Nancy
This one has been the most stubborn one about shedding her gunk. She will never be a beauty, but at least she IS gonna be CLEAN .

Texas Jan
Is that the same machine is both sets of pictures :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I kept scrolling up and down to look at the differences and WOWZA!! Did you use a kerosene soak to do that amount of cleaning??? I have a brown lotus model 66 that looks as if someone put a blackish-goopy stain over the whole thing. I was able to get the goop off of the little serial number plate (it was so-o-o thick that I could not even see even the slightest indent of the numbers) so that I could date the machine but I would love to get the goop off of the rest of the machine.

I was able to eventually clean off the goop to reveal the serial number. I used Liquid Wrench to do it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]233558[/ATTACH]

This is probably the ugliest machine I have gotten so far but I hope to make it beautiful
[ATTACH=CONFIG]233559[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-233551.jpe   attachment-233552.jpe   attachment-233553.jpe  
Old 07-29-2011, 07:11 PM

[quote=Suzi]
Originally Posted by Kathie S.
The other one is fully retired due to ringbone.

Nancy

Nancy what is ringbone? Kathie

Oldest one we had was 32 when we retired him. He was a very peppy Standardbred and a super classy horse to ride.

Ringbone: a bony outgrowth on or near the articulating surface of the pastern or coffin bone of a horse that typically results from injury and usually produces lameness.
Wow Suzi, I gave a much simpler explanation for ringbone, knowing most on here would not know what I was talking about - but you are spot on, although, I am still sure most people would have no idea what you are talking about!

Nancy
Old 07-29-2011, 07:14 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ube quilting
Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by ube quilting
Hello everyone. I'm still looking for attachments for my KENMORE 117 959. Looking for bobbin case and bobbins which I desparately need to run the machine. And then my wish list is for any attachments that go with this machine. There are machines for sale on line but I can't find any parts. Do I have to buy a whole machine to get a bobbin and case? What to do??? very sad.
peace
Does the space it goes in look like this would fit http://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w...incasehook.jpg
if so it is pretty common - bobbins may be the kind with a ton of holes. I may have attachments.
Here's a pic, does this look familiar? It isn't quite like your pic.
oH the one I sent was from sewclassic - My old dead machine is long gone - the parts are somewhere though...
Old 07-29-2011, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by beaniekins
I have a 27 with the pheasant decals. I had no idea that it was one of the more rare decals. I really love mine. It was the first vintage machine that I got and it got me hooked.

What is the most rare decal for the Singers?

Here's a pic of my pheasant 27. I haven't given her the spa treatment yet.
Beaniekins, the Pheasant decals are extremely hard to find in decent shape! I had one 27 with the Pheasant decals, but the decals were almost completely gone. I would love to find one as nice as yours!

Nancy
Thank you! I have to admit though, I'm jealous of how easily you guys in the States can find Red Eyes. I have been looking for a year and only ever seen one, and it was 14 hours away from me! Plus, the seller wanted waaaay too much for it. The most common decal around here for the older machines is by far the Sphinx. For the 'newer' vintage machines, there are a fair number of the plainer, mostly black ones.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:31 PM

I had to go to a neighboring town yesterday for a medical screening, so checked the local Craigslist before going. Look what I found, and had time to pick up before my appointment? They were asking $250 and took $150. It is so pretty and feels so solid! It was frozen when I first started working on it, but I oiled it and it started running very smoothly.

I am having a bit of trouble with the tension, it sews good stitches with the top at 7 and I want it to be at 4. I have fiddled with the bottom tension but need to work on it some more. Intermittently the top thread is too loose, with loops on the back. Maybe 7 is okay on the top, just seems high.

I can't wait to piece something with it!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-233554.jpe   attachment-233555.jpe  
Old 07-29-2011, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Double Post, Sorry!!

Texas Jan
Wow Texas Jan, I am always surprised to see what shows up when these old machines start to shed the gunk! She is going to be very purrrrty!

Nancy
This one has been the most stubborn one about shedding her gunk. She will never be a beauty, but at least she IS gonna be CLEAN .

Texas Jan
Is that the same machine is both sets of pictures :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I kept scrolling up and down to look at the differences and WOWZA!! Did you use a kerosene soak to do that amount of cleaning??? I have a brown lotus model 66 that looks as if someone put a blackish-goopy stain over the whole thing. I was able to get the goop off of the little serial number plate (it was so-o-o thick that I could not even see even the slightest indent of the numbers) so that I could date the machine but I would love to get the goop off of the rest of the machine.
That gives me hope! Looks like the same condition as the 66 Redeye I picked up yesterday for $15. I have been scared to post the "before" picture!
Old 07-29-2011, 07:45 PM

Hi, all. I have enjoyed seeing all of the other machines, and have learned alot by reading.
I have a treadle I believe is 1930's, it has a shuttle bobboin. It is apart awaiting the care needed to get the belt the right tension.

I just purchased a Singer 15-91 I believe. The serial # is AK477730, made in 1951. It has the Singer centenial plate on the front, has the potted motor. I am having trouble with the bobin thread. It doesn't always come up with the top thread. I have pics and I hope they come through. Am I missing a piece on the top over the needle? I may not have it threaded right, I have no manual. And Singer says they don't have one for this either. Any information or help will be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-233559.jpe   attachment-233560.jpe   attachment-233561.jpe  
Old 07-29-2011, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by nickylsf
I am having a bit of trouble with the tension, it sews good stitches with the top at 7 and I want it to be at 4. I have fiddled with the bottom tension but need to work on it some more. Intermittently the top thread is too loose, with loops on the back. Maybe 7 is okay on the top, just seems high.
It's a pretty easy fix. Even I was able to fix the tension on my 301 (my problem was exactly as you are describing) and I was always taught to NEVER touch the tension knob :roll: . I've decided that that was the only way the Home Ec teachers could get the girls to not fiddle with the tension knobs, creating more work for them to fix it at the end of the day :mrgreen:

Here is a wonderful tutorial about tension. It will help you to understand how it works and what to do to fix it. If you still can't figure it out I can walk you through it because I have already done it.

http://www.treadleon.net/sewingmachi...djustment.html

Give it a try!! :thumbup: