Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-23-2010, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by redpurselady
I already posted on the pictures section but here is my new addition. Her name is Cleo and was given to me by one of my bosses at work. It was a total surprise and I finally got her home today. When we took her out of the box, I found this part on the floor. Is it part of the machine - please say it isn't necessary for it to function because I have no idea where it would go. As a matter of fact, I have no experience whatsoever with treadles so I will be doing quite a bit of research on them. Any suggestions as to what to read or where to find information?
Treadle on has information. I think that part is the spring for the belt shifter, the latch that you move to take the belt off the big wheel on the treadle. You should have a spring there, if not that may be where it goes. Here is a picture of mine. My treadle still needs additional work and cleaning, so pardon the dirt.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-101554.jpe  
Old 09-23-2010, 01:38 PM

Does anyone know how to find out the age of the White sewing machines? I looked on the internet and can't find a list like Singer has on aging a machine.

Nancy
Old 09-23-2010, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by redpurselady
I already posted on the pictures section but here is my new addition. Her name is Cleo and was given to me by one of my bosses at work. It was a total surprise and I finally got her home today. When we took her out of the box, I found this part on the floor. Is it part of the machine - please say it isn't necessary for it to function because I have no idea where it would go. As a matter of fact, I have no experience whatsoever with treadles so I will be doing quite a bit of research on them. Any suggestions as to what to read or where to find information?
Treadle on has information. I think that part is the spring for the belt shifter, the latch that you move to take the belt off the big wheel on the treadle. You should have a spring there, if not that may be where it goes. Here is a picture of mine. My treadle still needs additional work and cleaning, so pardon the dirt.
Sure looks like that may be it - hope I can figure out how to get it back on if so. Thanks much!
Old 09-23-2010, 03:11 PM

Sure looks like that may be it - hope I can figure out how to get it back on if so. Thanks much![/quote]

Probably easier than it looks; just unscrew the screw there and the spring will set in under the latch that the belt goes through.
You're welcome.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:14 PM

1955 was a great year, That's the year I married my wonderful DH. Best thing I ever did.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:32 PM

My Dh was born that year. lol

Originally Posted by Howard
1955 was a great year, That's the year I married my wonderful DH. Best thing I ever did.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Does anyone know how to find out the age of the White sewing machines? I looked on the internet and can't find a list like Singer has on aging a machine.

Nancy
Hello you all, I found where to find White manufacture dates.

So today my DH brings home a White Rotary Electric Black Crinkle Embossed machine. It was manufactured in 1931. The thing was completely frozen. We got it cleaned and working, but I can't figure out how to thread it. There is a needle in the machine, but we don't know if it is the correct one for this machine. I am not sure how to thread the bobbin either.

Anyway, I can't get the needle to pick up the bobbin thread, which tells me I am doing something wrong?

Anyone have instructions on how to thread a White Rotary Electric machine made around the 1930's?

Nancy
Old 09-24-2010, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
My Dh was born that year. lol

Originally Posted by Howard
Both hubby & I were born in 1955 too.
It was a great year for baby boomers.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:21 AM

Anyone have instructions on how to thread a White Rotary Electric machine made around the 1930's?

Nancy[/quote]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9eiKXCjv80

Hope this helps you.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9eiKXCjv80

Hope this helps you.
Wow! That site is fantastic! Thank you so much!

Nancy