Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 11-29-2010, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
[Nancy,
.... I played with and cleaned up my 1887 Wheeler and Wilson that came from Portugal yesterday. It is so funny because the bobbin in the W & W 9W in way different than my Singer 9W - the way it fits in this funny bobbin case thing - but, it threads and works exactly like my Singer 9W. I had to print out a manual for W&W #8 to figure out how to take out and insert the bobbin, but I have to use my Singer 9W manual to thread and use the machine! So interesting! The 1887 W&W work perfectly! This is the first time I have taken the time to oil and clean that machine!.....

Nancy
Hi Nancy,
Picked up a W&W 'W9' machine with the cabinet. I bought both and a VS Singer for the cabinet - I loved the front of it! Pics will follow at some other time. Where can I find the serial # for the W9? I have searched and can't locate one. All I have found is a date on the spool holder. And like you said, I can't figure out how to get the bobbin out of the machine. Where did you find info?
Thanks!
Cindy
Old 11-29-2010, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Cindy Lou Who
Hi Nancy,
Picked up a W&W 'W9' machine with the cabinet. I bought both and a VS Singer for the cabinet - I loved the front of it! Pics will follow at some other time. Where can I find the serial # for the W9? I have searched and can't locate one. All I have found is a date on the spool holder. And like you said, I can't figure out how to get the bobbin out of the machine. Where did you find info?
Thanks!
Cindy
Here is the site for the Wheeler and Wilson #8 manual. The Wheeler and Wilson 9W has the exact same bobbin and case as the #8, so you need to print out this manual or just look at it to see how to put in and take out the bobbin. I couldn't find a manual for the W&W W9 machines.

http://www.ismacs.net/wheelerandwils...r-8-manual.pdf

Now in order to run the machine, remember that the wheel goes away from you and it threads exactly as a Singer 9W threads. The W&W 9W also needs 127x1 needles or Boye #18 -- it won't take normal 15x1 needles. You can get the bobbins on e-bay -- new -- to fit the 9W machines.

The only serial number I can find on my machine is under the spool pin -- move that cover aside and there will be a number stamped on the edge. There is also a patent date on the right hand side of the cabinet - wood part - right inside kinda next to where the belt would come down. The only other dates are the patent dates on the slide plate. I can't date my machine -- haven't found a site to date them with the serial number -- mine is 5373 with a letter A on the edge, but not near the number. I know mine is from 1887 because I saw the original receipt.

Nancy
Old 11-29-2010, 06:30 PM

Also, Cindy here is a very good diagram on how to thread the Singer 9W, which is basically the same as your machine.

http://needlebar.org/cm~nb/displayimage.php?album=489&pos=139

I hope this helps.

Nancy
Old 11-29-2010, 06:31 PM

Hello everyone! Can I join in? I take my coffee black with sugar. I'll even bring my own rocker. lol
Well this has been an exciting three days! I haven't been a member of this board for long and I'm trying to catch up. I was reading the boards and remarked to my husband that I wish I had an old treadle machine. He said "You do." I didn't know what he was talking about. He went into his garage and about an hour later he comes out with a treadle machine that belonged to his Grandmother. It's a model 66-1 born sometime in 1903 number K1221977. Then he says "If you like old machines hang on!", he disappears for about 30 minutes into his garage and comes out with a model 128 electric born in 1922 serial number G9227999! THEN he goes back into his garage and another 30 mins. goes by and out comes an electric 1925 model 127 serial no. AA786804! I'm doing the Happy Dance!!!! Now, they are in okay shape but desparately need some TLC. I am determined to restore these babies as much as I can. I do remember seeing a tutorial or board message on how to clean these up but can't find it again. Can someone tell me where to find it? In the meantime I plan to worship at this mans feet! How lucky can I get? I wonder what else he has in that garage of his?!
Old 11-29-2010, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Also, Cindy here is a very good diagram on how to thread the Singer 9W, which is basically the same as your machine.

http://needlebar.org/cm~nb/displayimage.php?album=489&pos=139

I hope this helps.

Nancy
Sorry this is actually how to thread the Wheeler and Wilson 9W!

Nancy
Old 11-29-2010, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by darlin121
Hello everyone! Can I join in? I take my coffee black with sugar. I'll even bring my own rocker. lol
Well this has been an exciting three days! I haven't been a member of this board for long and I'm trying to catch up. I was reading the boards and remarked to my husband that I wish I had an old treadle machine. He said "You do." I didn't know what he was talking about. He went into his garage and about an hour later he comes out with a treadle machine that belonged to his Grandmother. It's a model 66-1 born sometime in 1903 number K1221977. Then he says "If you like old machines hang on!", he disappears for about 30 minutes into his garage and comes out with a model 128 electric born in 1922 serial number G9227999! THEN he goes back into his garage and another 30 mins. goes by and out comes an electric 1925 model 127 serial no. AA786804! I'm doing the Happy Dance!!!! Now, they are in okay shape but desparately need some TLC. I am determined to restore these babies as much as I can. I do remember seeing a tutorial or board message on how to clean these up but can't find it again. Can someone tell me where to find it? In the meantime I plan to worship at this mans feet! How lucky can I get? I wonder what else he has in that garage of his?!
Wow did you marry the right man! Congratulations! We need pictures!

Yours too Cindy - we need pictures I mean!

Here is Billy's tutorial part one - I think - for cleaning, good luck!

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-45816-1.htm
Old 11-29-2010, 07:41 PM

Thanks. I printed it out for future use.
Would anyone know where the other tutorials are:
Electrical?
Cleaning part2?
Timing of Treadles?
Reassembly?
Old 11-29-2010, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by darlin121
I wish I had an old treadle machine. He said "You do." I didn't know what he was talking about. He went into his garage ...How lucky can I get? I wonder what else he has in that garage of his?!
OMG! The was way cool...lucky girl you are. Have fun playing with these vintage machines. And yes, please post photos.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:52 PM

Darlin121...Couldn't ask for a better christmas present and yes yes yes , Pictures please
Old 11-29-2010, 10:02 PM

[quote] darlin121
I wish I had an old treadle machine. He said "You do." I didn't know what he was talking about. He went into his garage and about an hour later he comes out with a treadle machine that belonged to his Grandmother....

Darlin121,
I wonder what other treasures are lurking in his garage??
That man is a keeper for sure! Welcome to the world of vintage machines.
I have 3 working Singer treadles, 201K,15-90 and 237
the last 2 were electric once; they've had motorectomies done. I've been using my treadles since 2007 and I really enjoy using them.
Sharon W. in Texas