Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-17-2011, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by emmah
Can you take a picture of the crank part. I wonder what it is like. It doesn't look like the cranks that I have seen, looks like someone put a handle on the handwheel instead. The cranks I have seen are a seperate mechanism that screws onto the motor mount area. That would explain why it runs backwards.
That is possible. I've never had a handcrank before, so I'm not sure exactly what it's supposed to look like. I'll take a photo ASAP and post it here.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:45 PM

Charlee,
Your Wheeler & Wilson 8 is gorgeous and way cool looking!

Muv,
That Vesta is adorable, and your You Tube tutorials are excellent!

It's fun seeing everyone's photos of their beautiful machines.
Thanks for posting! This is fun!
Old 06-17-2011, 09:01 PM

I' am sorry for the mistake the sewing mmachine i posted erlier on the page 1184 the singer 101 is a 1931 not a 1928. Dottie Bug
Old 06-18-2011, 04:10 AM

I'd like to direct your attention to a post I made in the "Off line announcements and events" section of the board about a "Quilt Retreat on Lake Huron". I'd like some input on. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
I have a machine that looks just like yours. Mine is a Franklin, made by White and sold at Sears. The model number is 851, Ser# 117851, We bought this at an estate auction. There was a note in the accessory box saying that she bought the machine with her first pay check in 1937. It came in a cabinet and has a stool and a rocking chair that matches the cabinet. (Don't know how to sew in a rocking chair?) There are all kinds of attachments and the bobbin are big around. She sews really good but to me sounds like a train coming through. Here are a few pictures of him. DH calls him Godzilla.
This is a great example of how confusing the sewing machine world can be. A few pages back I posted a picture of Kathie's new Franklin made by Davis in 1911 for Sears. I knew White also made a machine they called Franklin for Sears, but what a difference in the machines! Kathie's looks like an elaborate 127 with fancy decals, and this machine looks like a tank!

Nancy
Old 06-18-2011, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by PJisChaos
This is an Industrial Singer attached to a rail that moves in all directions, freely, and there are 3 poles to roll the quilt onto. All 3 poles have a flap of very thick material attached. That is how the quilt attaches, right? The head rides a rail and goes forward and back and side to side. You stand behind the head to do the quilting. There are handles on each side of the base the head sits on.
It was purchased new by the owner approx 20 years ago from a place in Iowa. I just don't know if the "new" is the whole system or jsut the frame system. This frame is 12' long, metal and wood with an area for the design papers to lay under some plexiglass for you to follow when quilting. I think the head had 96-?? stamped onto the area above the Singer seal but can't remember the exact model now. The serial# starts with AF 884???, I don't remember the last 3 though.
Ok, now I understand what you are talking about! The machine you are describing is definitely a long arm! A true industrial machine just sits on a large table with you sitting at the table sewing. Now, I also understand why she paid $2500 some 20 years ago and now wants $3000. Has she done a lot of improvements to the table and machine over the years? She probably paid that for the machine if it was a true 'industrial' type machine that she took, put on a long arm quilting table, and adapted it to become a long arm quilting machine. I'd have to see the machine and set up to determine whether I thought it was worth $3000, but you know if you have looked at long arms that the cheapest you can get one is about $2000 (new) - and, this is for an 8' foot wood frame and a machine with a 9" harp space. Pretty small for quilting, but doable if you only do small quilts.

Nancy
Old 06-18-2011, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by beaniekins
I recently got a sweet deal on a 99K handcrank machine. $12! The only issue it has is that the handcrank is on backwards. If you crank it away from you, then the machine stitches in reverse. You need to crank it towards you to get it to stitch properly. This would normally not bother me, but of course the handcrank handle will loosen off if you crank it towards yourself for an extended period of time. Is there a way to take off the crank and fix it? Or do I need to get a new crank and install that instead?

Also, when the bobbin winder is pushed up against the wheel to wind, the rubber doesn't catch quite right and it won't wind. Do I need to get new rubber for the winder? It turns perfectly freely on its own.

Here's a photo of my gorgeous machine.
Very pretty 99!

I would take off the crank and see if you can change it. Those cranks are only held on with one screw - easy to remove and switch. I can't figure out how it was attached that would make it go backwards? Anyway, just take it off and put it back testing which way the HW turns when you put the little thingy between the spokes.

Those bobbin tires are readily availabe, but you have to get the one for Singers. The Singer bobbin tires are smaller than other machines. Most repair shops carry them, just tell the guys you want a bobbin winder tire for a vintage Singer machine.

Nancy
Old 06-18-2011, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by qltndog
Billy or ?
Hoping someone can answer my questions.
I am looking for a Singer 66. I want to make it into a hand crank. If I find a treadle 66 head, can I add a crank to that? My son could make a base for it.
Also, if I find an electric one, can I leave the motor on and use the hand crank when I want to, without turning on the machine? Or does the motor have to be removed for the hand crank to be attached? Would love to have a machine that was both electric and hand crank. Does this make sense?
thanks in advance for your help. Joni
Yes, you can put a hand crank on a treadle and still use the treadle - either or. But, no you can't put a HC on the machine with an external motor and use either or as they both attach in the same place to the machine.

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

Nancy

Ok read the third post down -- this answer may change!
Old 06-18-2011, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
I know this is a crazy question but is the stitch regulator in reverse ? When you turn the HC away from you.
Pretty machine tho.
Trish great question! That would make sense!

Nancy
Old 06-18-2011, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
Maybe similar to this one?? It is a Stretched Singer called a Voyager 17.(My Bella)

Texas Jan
Texas Jan nice set up!

Nancy