Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-28-2011, 05:38 PM

It was pieced using my Free #5 treadle, quilted using my Singer Model 15-88 treadle, sashing attached using my Eldredge Two Spools Treadle, binding attached using Betty - my Davis Vertical Feed treadle, and lastly the back of the binding finished with the Pfaff 1222e (the only electric machine to touch this quilt because I always finish the binding using the Pfaff)![/quote]

Beautiful quilt Nancy. Bring it to Ladies night out in August. Kathie
Old 06-28-2011, 05:40 PM
Power Poster

I started a post called go green. I hope you all chime in on there. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-133897-1.htm#3581232
Old 06-28-2011, 05:47 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by deplaylady
Okay, there is something I am confused about with my 401A. According to this site: http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...s-400-499.html
the 401A started production in 1957, but according to this site:
http://www.singerco.com/support/mach.../double-letter
and the serial number on my machine being #NA703991, the machine's number was assigned in 1951. So - which is correct?

Unless - maybe the first site got its dates from the manuals it found and only found ones from later dates?
I haven't figured it out yet either. I just know they are good machines.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:00 PM

Ok...so maybe naming my "new" machine "Fannie" is NOT such a good idea... I was thinking of a lady that used to work with us when we worked at Town Pump/Lucky Lil's in Montana.

My husband, bless his pointed head, said, "That's a good name...then when you are showing people your machines, you can say, 'And this is my White Fannie"...leaving out the punctuation!!
Old 06-28-2011, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by Kathie S.
can I tag along?
Save room for Nancy and I . Kathie
The more, the merrier!! :)[/quote]

Wait for me!!!!
Old 06-28-2011, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by Phyllis nm
Originally Posted by Phyllis nm
the book that came with it says 500, i tried to look it up, it was made in 1961. when i looked on the web it said never sew with out the o cam.
hm I've never seen one come with a 0 cam - what page is that on?
i saw it here:
http://www.newenglandsimpleliving.co...0aslantno3.htm
it is right below the picture of the 500.

but what page in the user/owner's manual?
I want to make sure I haven't missed something - I use a Singer 403a.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:21 PM
Power Poster

Ok...so maybe naming my "new" machine "Fannie" is NOT such a good idea... I was thinking of a lady that used to work with us when we worked at Town Pump/Lucky Lil's in Montana.

My husband, bless his pointed head, said, "That's a good name...then when you are showing people your machines, you can say, 'And this is my White Fannie"...leaving out the punctuation!!
ROTFLMBO too funny... how about Fran - close? my grandma's name was Frances - she was called Fran, Franny, Fanny and Frances. When she was a kid they all got the flu and her father died. She was so sick they dug her grave next to his and then left it open all winter just in case. She sewed on an old hand crank chain stitch machine. Lost now.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by HisPatchwork
This is my new treadle, that belonged to my great- grandmother. I would like to know how to date it. Also, I need to replace the carraige that the bobbin shuttle fits into. Any ideas on where to get the part for it? Anyone have extra parts for The Free No.5? I am going to call a local repairman. The machine was in Illinois, I brought it with me to Georgia. my serial # is C78415
I love your Free #5 and the cabinet! Mine is pictured on page 627, actually there are a lot of Free's on here!

Here are some of the Free's listed here:

Mine 627, Nana 774, Debbie 780, Monica 782, Trish 111 & 780, Kitzone 816, I started tracking them with the serial numbers so we could figure out ages!

Nancy
Thank you, I will check them out.
Rajean
Old 06-28-2011, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Ok while you guys were out having fun, I finished my lap quilt. I am very proud to tell you all that this is a quilt made entirely by vintage machines!

It was pieced using my Free #5 treadle, quilted using my Singer Model 15-88 treadle, sashing attached using my Eldredge Two Spools Treadle, binding attached using Betty - my Davis Vertical Feed treadle, and lastly the back of the binding finished with the Pfaff 1222e (the only electric machine to touch this quilt because I always finish the binding using the Pfaff)!
Beautiful quilt, Nancy! I can't wait to get my FREE treadling. There was a new belt in the drawer..still good too, had a price of 50 cents printed on it.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:43 PM

ROTFLMBO too funny... how about Fran - close? my grandma's name was Frances - she was called Fran, Franny, Fanny and Frances. When she was a kid they all got the flu and her father died. She was so sick they dug her grave next to his and then left it open all winter just in case. She sewed on an old hand crank chain stitch machine. Lost now.
Nah...I'm gonna leave it "Fannie"...that way I have an excuse to smack him, cuz he's GONNA say it again! :lol:

You know Miriam...you need to be writing these family stories down...they're wonderful, and what a treasure they will be for future generations!