Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-08-2011, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by deplaylady
I stopped into my favorite little recycled craft shop and got 8 bobbins for my White FR for 50 cents and this cool tool for $2.50. Can't wait to use it now that I got some directions!
Tell me about your tool. I have never seen anything like it. Kathie
Old 09-08-2011, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
I stopped into my favorite little recycled craft shop and got 8 bobbins for my White FR for 50 cents and this cool tool for $2.50. Can't wait to use it now that I got some directions!
I've never used it, but a couple people on here have. I knew what it was when I saw it and can't wait to try it. It can be used for lots of techniques (so I've read) - basically you wrap yarn around it and use it to it to sew it onto the material to make rugs and other decorative things. I even saw directions to make a tufted bedspread.
I added a couple pictures I found - maybe someone here who's made something already can explain it better.

I found a tutorial that goes with the second picture:
http://hautegoatcashmere.com/Singerc...r_Tutorial.pdf

old picture
[ATTACH=CONFIG]253634[/ATTACH]

new picture
[ATTACH=CONFIG]253635[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-253628.gif   attachment-253629.jpe  
Old 09-08-2011, 09:36 PM

I've never used it, but a couple people on here have. I knew what it was when I saw it and can't wait to try it. It can be used for lots of techniques (so I've read) - basically you wrap yarn around it and use it to it to sew it onto the material to make rugs and other decorative things. I even saw directions to make a tufted bedspread.
I added a couple pictures I found - maybe someone here who's made something already can explain it better.

Great gadget!
Old 09-08-2011, 10:38 PM

That is a very interesting device. Thanks for the links and showing how it gets used. I have never seen one of these.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by miriam
I am sort of looking at a Singer 101-10 portable, 1923. It looks in great condition. Anything special about 101s? I haven't seen them talked about too much here.
I think it weighs 31 lbs but it is made of aluminum. It is old enough to be a good solid machine if it is all there.
It's missing the bobbin cover plate. Are those hard to get?
Yes, the 101 is a bit of a white elephant. You can try [email protected] to see if Cindy still has them. They were $23 new in a 3 year old brochure.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
I got this HONEYMOON in a pretty cabinet for $25. Someone here said they thought NEW HOME was the manufacturer. I have no idea if the cabinet belongs to the machine or not. The machine has a lot of hard oily dirty icky stuff on it, but the cabinet has none.
This is a Davis in correct cabinet made around 1910-1920. The Davis "Honeymoon" in the link is a Davis Vertical Feed (VF1) from 1890 or so. Both machines are very nice. I'd buy the VF1 if it had a shuttle and I was closer.
Jon
Old 09-09-2011, 05:03 AM

[quote=vintagemotif][quote=QuiltnCowgirl][quote=jljack][quote=QuiltnCowgirl]
Originally Posted by vintagemotif

Don't laugh! You are rubbing off on me! LOL I am even thinking about how to do some rearranging in my sewing room so I could have room for one. You can tell me what you think Friday, "oh great queen of fitting lots of machines in your room". :mrgreen:

I'm not the queen, but I bet ya can fit one more treadle in your sewing room.
My command center, as my husband calls it, is about 2 1/2 yds by about 1 3/4 yds and has 5 treadles, four of which have machines sitting up ready to use and the other treadle has my cutting matt and other items sitting on top. Chair sits in center. Bit of a mess right now since I have multiple projects going on.
LOL...you know you are a quilter when...you measure distance like you measure fabric
I like your command center...now i am thinking about how I could rearrange my sewing room to fit another one in.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by mpeters1200
Guess what!!! After 4 months of screeching that I wanted the garage cleaned out an organized, this weekend we were able to do it.

I now have mom's Featherweight in the house. All she needs is cleaning and oiling and a replacement bobbin case...but she is all mine and in the house where I can look at her, and polish her and spend some time with her.

WOOOHOOO!

Now...to find a bobbin case!
What is sew classic?

try Jenny at sew classic for the bobbin case
My mom still has her FW it is one of the badly abused FWs Her's has a limp door (where you lift it to go in the box) and the bobbin winder is missing. I'm thinking there were other things wrong with it. She bought a brand new Singer a couple months ago. Claims she loves it. She doesn't sew though. She is 85 and has some vision problems. Guess which one we daughters will fight over one day.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:01 AM

I am sort of looking at a Singer 101-10 portable, 1923. It looks in great condition. Anything special about 101s? I haven't seen them talked about too much here.
I think it weighs 31 lbs but it is made of aluminum. It is old enough to be a good solid machine if it is all there.
It's missing the bobbin cover plate. Are those hard to get?
Janice, I bought a couple from Billy for about $10 each. He's under the weather so it will be a bit before he can get them out to you. However, at my local sewing center, the gal there could get new ones for about $11 each. If you're serious, just ask at your sewing center, if you have one, or try sewclassic.com for the bobbin plate cover.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:09 AM

Very interesting! I've never seen one before.