Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-01-2012, 04:46 AM
Power Poster

Whats wrong with this picture? This machine took a an awful LOT of TLC. Those knobs were 3-in-1 oiled or glued and the whole thing was covered in goo. I got it at the auction last December. It was a surprise in the table I bought for a buck. It turns nice now but needs to be in a cabinet. The motor has bare wires.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]345797[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails june-30-2012-023.jpg  

Last edited by miriam; 07-01-2012 at 04:52 AM.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:59 AM

Miriam did you get this machine like that? With the spoked hand wheel and the hand crank? Someone went to a lot of trouble to be able to hand crank that machine! What a really awesome find! Maybe, the wires have been bare for a while - hence the handcrank, but why leave the motor on? I'd love to hear this machine's story!

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 07-01-2012 at 06:02 AM.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:28 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Miriam did you get this machine like that? With the spoked hand wheel and the hand crank? Someone went to a lot of trouble to be able to hand crank that machine! What a really awesome find! Maybe, the wires have been bare for a while - hence the handcrank, but why leave the motor on? I'd love to hear this machine's story!

Nancy
I was at an auction last December - first and only auction I've ever been to. I went hog wild.... A table came up and I bid a buck on it - nobody else wanted it - when we tried to move the table it was HEAVY - inside was the most ugly dirty machine - bare naked wires and on the table was a hornets nest. DH scraped that off and we loaded it up along with a bunch of other tables and sewing machines. All need wires. When you store machines in 'climate controlled' sheds and out buildings you can expect the wires to be destroyed and some times you see a LOT of rust or damaged finish. (What ever the climate is out doors controls what is indoors...) I got it home and cleaned it up, got the machine to turn, but the knobs were frozen - frozen tight. I got a knob to turn but it was only turning on the shaft. Those knobs have little set screws that just go as far as the shaft. I used Triflow. I got most of it freed up. I took it to Ray's class. We worked on the knobs quite a bit. The reverse and the stitch selector were the worst. Ray showed me how to fix the knobs and said to just let the Triflow do it's business - I parked the machine in the shop and didn't touch it until yesterday. Everything is freed up but yet to be tested. This one has brass gears inside and a metal camstack. I think if it was run on a regular basis it would be a very nice treadle or HC machine. This one will HC because the motor boss lines up nicely with the wheel. I can't seem to treadle worth a hooey. I can HC thank you very much. The spoked wheel is borrowed from a rusty old Singer 66 from the same auction. The HC is one I had around on the GD machine at Grandma's house... This machine is very heavy but it slides just a little on the table when it HCs - I think I need to put it in it's cabinet - the motor is still around - Joe and Elaine are going to have to come over some time and sort me out on motors... LOL Maybe do a tutorial. ANYHOW, I got it all set up, went to get some lunch for DH and then it started to rain so I went home to check on some things.... I still have to make it sew. I will assume the tension needs some piddle work. I can't remember if the bobbin area is any good or not - I assume I cleaned it back in December. I need to buy a new pack of needles.... I like to test things with a new needle. Who knows where the old needle has been through.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]345809[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails june-30-2012-022.jpg  

Last edited by miriam; 07-01-2012 at 06:32 AM.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:30 AM

LOL on my screen it was so dark it took awhile to see the singer hand crank on it ...

I would have gave a Buck for that LOL...
Old 07-01-2012, 06:33 AM
Power Poster

Don't you just love all those dials??? It was a bear to figure out what each one did - specially when they didn't MOVE.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by notsureif View Post
LOL on my screen it was so dark it took awhile to see the singer hand crank on it ...

I would have gave a Buck for that LOL...
I thought I was buying a table!!!
Old 07-01-2012, 06:36 AM
Power Poster

I also tagged along on this post: http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...r-t193169.html
One day I should start a post on Japanese ZZers. I know very little about them. I'm learning a bit though. Those are all over the map what they are like...
Old 07-01-2012, 07:38 AM

Miriam, it an adorable machine.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:46 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Miriam, it an adorable machine.
It would be more adorable if it had its chrome balance wheel and a motor... Well maybe a treadle...
Old 07-01-2012, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Bobbin along View Post
Hi Billy! I'm so glad you are here to answer questions--'cause I certainly have one! I have a wonderful old (cc1876) Domestic treadle machine that runs like a swiss watch. Somehow, the needle was broken. I know that it requires a needle model/size GG but I have been unable to find anyone who might have this old needle. I am heart broken. Modern needles, of course, won't fit. What to do, what to do?
There was a pack of needles.that came with my 1873 domestic. Its a.container and i have not looked to see how many are in there but if i have a few i can share. Ill let you know when i get back home later this week.