Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-01-2012, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by notsureif View Post
this singer I posted is totaly coming apart , all the ply has come unglued and has mold between the layers,, it will have to be, soaked it water to unglue what is still sticking clean then reglued.. The broken veneer will be put back in place,, I do not place any veneer on these machines...
Isn't it wonderful that the whole spectrum of VSM collectors are on this thread! Some folks simply crave the best while others appreciate what was and save old machines from the trash heap. I have examples of both!

My Singer 99K was a freecycle gift and arrived in pristine condition (all except for the slightly water damaged cabinet top). When folks see it, WoW!

My National Alvah was a rusty mess with missing pieces/parts, missing or peeling veneer, and a rich history when I brought it home. While it may not ever be gorgeous, I don't expect it to be! To me, it is priceless. My very first treadle.

So John, nice job saving a bit of history. I don't own a Red-eye. Enjoy saving this one! Admittedly, I'm wishing I had been a mouse in your pocket in order to have seen that tractor. :-)

Viva le difference!
Old 07-01-2012, 08:31 AM

Ok, I have a question. I found some TriFlow locally but all they carry is the lubricant. Now, is that the lube that takes the place of Singer lube or is that the oil? I didn't have time to investigate but wanted to ask before purchasing any. TIA.
Chris
Old 07-01-2012, 08:48 AM

Here's the Coronado I bought yesterday. I have a few parts on order so I can't completely test it. But, I got everything in running shape. It's feed dogs were locked up, but got that taken care of. What I like about this machine is that all the internal cams are metal and not plastic. So, they'll never crack. I didn't see one piece of plastic inside this machine. What it has, that most machines in this time (60's) don't, is the knob on the top tracks the stages of the cam stitch formation. So, if you need to know what section of the stitch you're in, for example, if the thread breaks, you can get back to exactly where you left off. Kind of cool. It came in a nice, Singer table.
Attached Thumbnails img_7836.jpg   img_7838.jpg   img_7840.jpg  
Old 07-01-2012, 08:51 AM

Chris, TriFlow has several forms. There is lube/grease and oil. I use both instead of Singer products now.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:57 AM

you mean you figured out why they put two dials on the ZZ ? This one is adressmarker , but maybe a little older...

large ZZ dail is on the right...only thing I see that the small dail does is maybe a stop or ock for the larger dail, The larger one does control zz width. if the small is set on #3 you can only move the big one to # 3 so on ...

Now the little red light on the hood, Thats classy LOL , 1950's fiber optic's
Old 07-01-2012, 09:00 AM

Surfing Google books again this morning...found this book on the history AND the mechanics of sewing machines...cool book, lots of information. It's a full version, you can download/print the PDF file!

http://books.google.com/books?id=TGF...sewing&f=false
Old 07-01-2012, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
Ok, I have a question. I found some TriFlow locally but all they carry is the lubricant. Now, is that the lube that takes the place of Singer lube or is that the oil? I didn't have time to investigate but wanted to ask before purchasing any. TIA.
Chris
Chris,

>The Tri-Flow oil takes the place of other sewing machine oils. Use it everywhere you'd use oil.

>The Tri-Flow grease is for metal and sometimes plastic gears, forks and cam lobes on the main shafts but not motors. What makes it great for the gears and forks is the same things that make it unacceptable for motors. Most motors that require grease use a pot with a wick, or a small tube with a hole in it for the grease. For this grease to get to the bearings it has to get soft and flow. That takes heat.
The Tri-Flow grease being a synthetic does not flow as it is immune to the heat generated in the motors.

>Singer Lubricant in the tube is the only lube for Singer Motors. It will get soft and flow to the bearings when the motors get warm. I use it also on other brands and types of SM motors that use the little grease pot with a wick inside.

Here is the page from Sew-Classic: http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/4-Oi...e-Tools_c6.htm
for the oils and grease. Go to the Tri-Flow grease link and read what she has there. Then down on the bottom is a link to her blog entry about what lubes to use on sewing machines. Lots of info in there.

Here is the link to the Tri-Flow home page: http://www.triflowlubricants.com/index.html
Lots of info in there too.

Hope I didn't over do my response.

Joe
Old 07-01-2012, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by notsureif View Post
you mean you figured out why they put two dials on the ZZ ? This one is adressmarker , but maybe a little older...

large ZZ dail is on the right...only thing I see that the small dail does is maybe a stop or ock for the larger dail, The larger one does control zz width. if the small is set on #3 you can only move the big one to # 3 so on ...

Now the little red light on the hood, Thats classy LOL , 1950's fiber optic's
It's actually a Gamble, I believe, not a Dressmaker. I also believe the small dial is stitch width, not a stop but maybe you're right. But, I have to sew with it to test it out.

Last edited by Candace; 07-01-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
Surfing Google books again this morning...found this book on the history AND the mechanics of sewing machines...cool book, lots of information. It's a full version, you can download/print the PDF file!

http://books.google.com/books?id=TGF...sewing&f=false
Thanks Charlee! Excellent compilation of the differences on sewing machines and how they work.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:22 AM

Another cool old book on Google:

The Mechanics of the Sewing Machine