Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-26-2011, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by Mollie'sMom
Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by kwendt
ALERT: Nice looking Singer 66-1 Red Head (Eye) with the SILVER badge at auction from the Rochester Goodwill. Backclamp, has reg foot. Bed is dusty or possibly clouded. But decals look pristine, little to no wear in the pictures. A FIND. If shipping weren't $54, I'd get it.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8807154

Somebody please rescue this baby...
The hand wheel looks crooked to me.
Yeah, you may be right. It does look like its bent, but could be just how it's photographed.
I have looked at my redeye from all angles and it does not look like that. Hope it is not bent.
looks bent to me - it would be a donor machine if it is...
But not at that high shipping price....USPS is the most expensive for anything over 20 lb.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:33 PM

ALERT: Nice looking Singer 66-1 Red Head (Eye) with the SILVER badge at auction from the Rochester Goodwill. Backclamp, has reg foot. Bed is dusty or possibly clouded. But decals look pristine, little to no wear in the pictures. A FIND. If shipping weren't $54, I'd get it.

Yeah, you may be right. It does look like its bent, but could be just how it's photographed.
I have looked at my redeye from all angles and it does not look like that. Hope it is not bent.
Too bad if it is . Its a good looking machine.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:35 PM
Power Poster

But not at that high shipping price....USPS is the most expensive for anything over 20 lb.
if you lived near and could pick it up it would be ok.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:36 PM

[quote=jljack]

quote]

I figured it was how it was photographed. But, I could be wrong.... Can't the shaft be replaced? The wheel itself doesn't look damaged from that angle. But hard to tell anything based on those pictures. Someone needs to physically see it.

So who knows the 'skinny' on the Silver Badges? I remember reading a Billy comment like 900 pages ago, about 'if you see a silver badge, snap it up'... but I don't remember why...
Old 10-26-2011, 01:40 PM

"I rarely pass up a $10 sewing machine. You can learn a lot about fixing them if they don't work... Some times they do work. If you get enough $10 sewing machines maybe you can combine a couple and have one that works."

OK! OK!! I'll get it and see if I can fix the dang thing...Ha, ha! :lol: Honestly, I just like the color. I don't really even care that much if it works, or not.

That being said...I would like to know if there are other sites that give good advice on sewing machine restoration. This thread is great, but I crave more knowledge.

~ Cindy
Old 10-26-2011, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by lovelyl
I have a 115 treadle. Is it a good machine to do FMQ? Do the feed dogs drop and if so, how? I can't find much information on the 115. Any info. appreciated!
Linda
Hi Linda. I don't think the feed drops. If you sign onto the Smithsonian archive there's a 115 manual. Try this link:

http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollect.../NMAHTEX/2683/

I'd use a 15-91, 201 for FMQ but the easiest vintage machine for FMQ, might be one of the Japanese clone 15's, 'cause they have slightly better mechanics and a drop feed dog SWITCH on the front bed of the machine (usually there are three settings: Fine sewing (dogs down slightly), Normal sewing and Embroidery (dogs all the way down). Nice machines. Many of them are belt driven motors, you might be able to treadle them if you really wanted to. But I'm not sure about that.

Here's a picture of mine that I got off goodwill.com. Case is busted, and is on my 'honey do' list. So I haven't sewn with it yet. This picture is when I first got her. Now she's all oiled, rewired, polished and rarin to go. See the drop feed switch on the bed? There are millions of these types (all different names), in different colors out there.
Kwendt,
Thank you so much for the link! Also, thanks for the info on the 15 clones - love your pink one. I will start looking for one... So much to learn... Thanks for your time and wisdom!
Linda
Old 10-26-2011, 01:54 PM

[quote=kwendt]

quote]

I figured it was how it was photographed. But, I could be wrong.... Can't the shaft be replaced? The wheel itself doesn't look damaged from that angle. But hard to tell anything based on those pictures. Someone needs to physically see it.

So who knows the 'skinny' on the Silver Badges? I remember reading a Billy comment like 900 pages ago, about 'if you see a silver badge, snap it up'... but I don't remember why...
I don't remember reading about the silver badges, but I would like to know too. There is so much good info. on this thread it is hard to remember it all. And I am so old my mental file is almost full and its hard to bring info. up.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Bennett
Question to those who would know, what is special about a Bell machine. Other than it looks interesting and very clean, I'm not sure why the price is (what I would consider) high? Is it a rare one?

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8751380
I don't know if it's rare, but it sure is adorable! It's kinda like that li'l Belvedere I'm looking at. (I must have an affinity for green machines these days.) "Clean," is good and will make the price higher.

~ Cindy
Old 10-26-2011, 02:02 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tropit
"I rarely pass up a $10 sewing machine. You can learn a lot about fixing them if they don't work... Some times they do work. If you get enough $10 sewing machines maybe you can combine a couple and have one that works."

OK! OK!! I'll get it and see if I can fix the dang thing...Ha, ha! :lol: Honestly, I just like the color. I don't really even care that much if it works, or not.

That being said...I would like to know if there are other sites that give good advice on sewing machine restoration. This thread is great, but I crave more knowledge.

~ Cindy
what are you wanting to know?
Old 10-26-2011, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Sede_Mae
I want to do some "fine" detailed cleaning of my FW... Inside crevaces and all. Outside of machine, NOT inside. I was thinking of using a Q-tip and rubbing alchohol? Would this be OK? or if anyone has some special tricks or advice... I would sure appreciate it. Also... Do you know of a great way or product to brighten the black, make her shine alittle more? My machine is in very good shape...all scoll decals intact... Etc. I just want to dress her up alittle more to take her out !! LOL :-) Thanks everyone,
Julie
I would avoid the alchohol. I screwed up the finish on a camera trying that.