Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-11-2012, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post

You think it might cooperate if I threaten to part it out ..........

Joe
*snicker*
Old 08-11-2012, 08:42 AM

Candace, melinda1962,
I have some different feet, matter of fact a complete set of attachments. A "Q" foot would be a quilting foot?

As for the needles I'm kinda stuck there. This machine originally used a Kenmore #49 or Boye 2 1/2 needle.
Those are all but extinct. As per the advice from Kevin Pinkerton from ISMAC, I've got some DCx1F serger needles for it. All they come in is sharp, in sizes 11, 14, 16, 18. I'm using size 14s.

Could the presser foot tension have something to do with this? I'm not sure where it's set, works good on regular type materials so I left it alone. For fleece should it tighter or looser?

Joe
If the "Q" foot you're talking about is clear plastic, it's the Kenmore foot for knits...they started making it in the late 60's or early 70's. I think the "Q" stood for Qiana, a kind of slinky knit that was in style then. They made a special "Q" needle also, it was blue.

I can't imagine why it won't make ANY stitch at all. Have you tried different thread/needle? It sounds like the thread is clinging to the fabric so tightly that there's no loop for the shuttle hook to catch....sometimes that will happen sewing elastic or velcro BUT you usually just get skipped stitches. Another possibility is that the needlebar is set slightly too high. Anyway, good luck with it.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by path49 View Post
If the "Q" foot you're talking about is clear plastic, it's the Kenmore foot for knits...they started making it in the late 60's or early 70's. I think the "Q" stood for Qiana, a kind of slinky knit that was in style then. They made a special "Q" needle also, it was blue.

I can't imagine why it won't make ANY stitch at all. Have you tried different thread/needle? It sounds like the thread is clinging to the fabric so tightly that there's no loop for the shuttle hook to catch....sometimes that will happen sewing elastic or velcro BUT you usually just get skipped stitches. Another possibility is that the needlebar is set slightly too high. Anyway, good luck with it.
Pat,
This machine was very used when I got it. It's insides was filled with what looked and felt like wool lint.
I've not touched the needle bar or any of the physical adjustments. All I've done is get it clean, oiled it, and now rewired it. The needle is ,thanks to your little suggestion, sitting at the same length as the original.
I'm using an older spool of what looks to be #50 thread on top with a lighter thread in the bobbin.

Later today I'm going to check with the manual to make sure I have the bobbin in right. Then perhaps I'll try a different thread in both. Your thought the thread might be clinging to the fleece might be right. It's something to check anyway.

Joe
Old 08-11-2012, 02:47 PM

I just bought a button holer that I thought would fit on my 401A, but am now unsure and need help. It is aSinger Professional buttonholer and says it is for vertical zigz-zag sewing machines. In the book it shows 3 different cover plates. I have the # 86748, and it says that is for vertical-needle zig-zag sewing. Will that one work with my machine?
Thanks for any help you can give me. I'm totally new concering these slant shank sewing machines.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Janis View Post
I just bought a button holer that I thought would fit on my 401A, but am now unsure and need help. It is aSinger Professional buttonholer and says it is for vertical zigz-zag sewing machines. In the book it shows 3 different cover plates. I have the # 86748, and it says that is for vertical-needle zig-zag sewing. Will that one work with my machine?
Thanks for any help you can give me. I'm totally new concering these slant shank sewing machines.
I'm sorry Janis! No...this one won't fit the slant shank. You need one that is in a pink egg or red case...or one marked specifically for a slant machine.
I have one of these, they're nice buttonholers! You can use it on your straight, short shank machines!
Old 08-11-2012, 04:18 PM

Sharon, sorry about your fall hope you get better real soon.

Glenn and Miriam, glad you had such a good time and Glenn your new machine is very nice and I love the way the top opens out. Sorry you don't have any work to do to the cabinet but, then you can start using it sooner.

Miriam did you get to see Glenn's quilt in the flesh?
Old 08-11-2012, 06:00 PM

Question for those who work with plywood.

How do I get a 1/4 thick piece of plywood to take a bend and stay bent?

So far I've tried clamping and weighting it with water on both sides. I don't want to get it so wet it separates, but the darn thing needs to bend.

Joe
Old 08-11-2012, 06:24 PM

It depends how much you want it to bend it.
“You can steam it” in a box or plastic bag, then bend it into shape, and stabilize it to dry.
For more bend, you can cut “v” groves on the back side then bend it. The more the cuts the more you can bend it. This is better with solid wood not plywood.
Good luck Joe.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:29 PM

Question for those who work with plywood.

How do I get a 1/4 thick piece of plywood to take a bend and stay bent?

So far I've tried clamping and weighting it with water on both sides. I don't want to get it so wet it separates, but the darn thing needs to bend.

Joe
The only way is to steam it very hot for about 30 to 40 minutes then form it in a form of the bend you want and leave it for 24 hours. Now you will have to make a form to hold it until set. Wetting it will not do it.

Skip
Old 08-11-2012, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
I'm sorry Janis! No...this one won't fit the slant shank. You need one that is in a pink egg or red case...or one marked specifically for a slant machine.
I have one of these, they're nice buttonholers! You can use it on your straight, short shank machines!
Thanks for the info, Charlee, now on to looking for one that is in a pink egg or a red case. I saw one today with the red case, but the only thing was that they wouldn't sell it without the machine, a 404, and they wanted $150 for it and the attachments. It also had a zigzag attachment, as well as other standard attachments with it too.
The one I got will work with my short shank zig- zag machines then. I wouldn't have been out too much money if it didn't work with any of my machines. It was priced at $5.00 and when I got up there to pay for it, the woman said that it was half price. so I got it for $2.50!!! I have only one slant machine and 3 short shank machines that will do zig-zag. The plate that I got will work with them, I'm guessing. It's got 20 plastic cams for the button holes. so that's not too bad.
Does anyone have a buttonholer in the red case or pink egg they want to sell?

Last edited by Janis; 08-11-2012 at 07:06 PM.