Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-07-2011, 11:21 AM

Went to a yard sale and found (and bought) a Featherweight 221K, manufactured in 1941. Sews great. But ..... the light goes out when I sew. We borrowed another foot control from another FW, and the light stays on. So, the problem is with the foot control.

It has been rewired, and DH did check the wiring. At first glance, it seems to be done correctly.

Any suggestions? Or do I just sew without the light?

TIA
Old 05-07-2011, 01:15 PM

I'm so proud of myself. Today was yard sale day in a town closeby. There must have been a hundred homes taking part - it was so neat. I came upon one treadle. It was a Singer 127 in an Eastlake cabinet. The cabinet was pretty good - needed refinishing on the top due to flowerpot love, and needed two drawer pulls. It's the same cabinet/treadle my 27 is in.
I felt so bad for the machine though. She was so battered up. The sphinx decal and the bed decals were so scratched up that you'd be hardpressed to know what they were if you didn't know them. I checked under the bobbin coverplates and there were cobwebs galore. She wanted $80 Can. for it!! In that condition! I felt a tug to rescue the baby, but had to walk on by. Now I wonder if I shouldn't have lowballed her and taken her for parts. This disease is so confusing.....
Old 05-07-2011, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
Treadlep, I think we decided your Richmond is another little National like my Leader. Here is ther tension threading page from my manual. You can zoom in to read it - 150% or 200% works for me. It's a scan of a copy - I don't like to handle the original too much.
Thanks, irishrose. Hey! Your manual looks just like mine! I have the same Figure 5 illustration, except mine is missing the "B" which would have been helpful (my husband and I had quite the discussion about where we thought "B" was located on the machine). My problem appears to not be a threading problem: I routed the thread around the back of the adjustment screw, around the pointed notch, in between the tension plates and through the center opening as shown and described. So I am left with some tension issues, because the top tension appears to be too tight but the adjustment screw is so loose it's about to fall out and the tension plates/springs are too floppy, yet the shuttle adjustment screw won't tighten any further. There seems to be a sweet spot where it is almost okay, but the top thread is still slightly too tight, yet if I go looser the thread starts jerking around and I get big loopies. However, there is a sticky spot where the treadling catches that also seems to be at least partially causing the thread jerk. I still need to do a thorough cleaning and that will probably help, but I was playing with the machine to see if just oiling would suffice (it doesn't look too dirty, but has been sitting a long time) until I have a solid block of time to tackle the job.

Thanks for your help---I also have scanned my manual to save more wear on the original. What type of needles do you use---have you found originals or are you scooting a regular down in the setting?

Did your machine also come withe the cute little pamphlet, "Hints and Helps About the Oiling and Care of Your Sewing Machine and The Story of How Sewing Machine Oil is Produced"? It provides some detail about what the Repair Man does to service the machine and how you can save the $3.25 and do it yourself. Very funny.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by sew wishful
I'm probably in big trouble here...yesterday I went to city wide garage sales and found a coffin top Singer and today a friend is at an auction bidding on a treadle for me! It's a 1905 Singer...the coffin top, I'm afraid I haven't looked closely at cuz hubby doesn't know about it yet!!! LOL!
Uh oh, I see an addict here! Not only are you "done in" but you have a friend feeding your addiction too. I'm envious :)
Old 05-07-2011, 02:45 PM

Well, my girlfriend bought the treadle for me for $45! So this machine looks just like my 15-91. The serial number is B-874655 born on 2-6-1905 in Elizabeth, NJ. So is it possible she could be a 15-91?
My friend also brought me a Dressmaker that uses cams (tophat style). I've never had one of those (she gave $5 for it at a garage sale) and am looking forward to working her over. The one I called a coffin top is actually a portable with the wooden case and key which works. Is this still called coffin top? I haven't had her out yet, but will get pics of all these soon and post them. Can't wait to hear what you can tell me about them.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by sew wishful
Well, my girlfriend bought the treadle for me for $45! So this machine looks just like my 15-91. The serial number is B-874655 born on 2-6-1905 in Elizabeth, NJ. So is it possible she could be a 15-91?
My friend also brought me a Dressmaker that uses cams (tophat style). I've never had one of those (she gave $5 for it at a garage sale) and am looking forward to working her over. The one I called a coffin top is actually a portable with the wooden case and key which works. Is this still called coffin top? I haven't had her out yet, but will get pics of all these soon and post them. Can't wait to hear what you can tell me about them.
I need a friend like that!
Old 05-07-2011, 04:47 PM

I saw a treadle like the one on N.O. Craigslist years ago at an estate sale auction--they called it a "Parlor cabinet". This is only the second one I've seen....cannot remember who made the other one--about 30 years ago...
and my 4 "new" machines are out in the car, but we are too tired tonight to bring them into the house.....still have to figure out a spot for them...
Old 05-07-2011, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by quilt1950
Went to a yard sale and found (and bought) a Featherweight 221K, manufactured in 1941. Sews great. But ..... the light goes out when I sew. We borrowed another foot control from another FW, and the light stays on. So, the problem is with the foot control.

It has been rewired, and DH did check the wiring. At first glance, it seems to be done correctly.

Any suggestions? Or do I just sew without the light?

TIA
I would have my husband compare the plugs to the two featherweights, and recheck the wiring. It may not be the actual foot control, but in the part that plugs into the machine. Make sure that there are no wires touching and such within the plug. I had a newer serger that had done this before. Good luck and hope this helps.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:20 PM
Banned

Wow sounds like you guys have had some good yard sales going on around you. There was a huge one not far from my house but I was so busy I never stopped by to see what was there let alone the 3 estate sales going on I found. :(

Billy
Old 05-07-2011, 07:48 PM

Hi Billy, I went to pick up the second machine ( Singer 15) and I have to wait a few more days--it's still buried under a heap of stuff in the store and when I went back to my car there was a Singer 403A sitting as cute as a button on the front seat. She looks pretty good for only $15. I need to get some grease?for the gears or can I use something else. I haven't plugged her in yet. The handwheel when turning about 3/4 of the way sort of makes a grunting not smooth cycle.. After cleaning her up she needs oiling and grease...that's why I need the grease. Where can I get it and what is it's proper name. Can you help with this info? Photos will be posted tomorrow. She was in a cabinet but when I lifted the top the inside was all plywood and had to be unscrewed to lift the machine up..so I trashed the cabinet. Anne