Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-27-2012, 01:11 AM

Sure looks like my Wheeler and Wilson #8.
Did you notice that the treadle wheel is on the outside of the treadle frame, very common on the #8 treadles.

Cathy

Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
Saw this one while "window shopping" today on CL. I really don't know what it is, but it looked interesting! Looks like it would take a wide belt, probably pre-1900?

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/atq/2819848538.html
Old 01-27-2012, 02:25 AM

Neat! Now that I've looked at some other images of the W&W 8, I can see where I was mistaken about the belt. The width of the wheel itself, not the groove, was throwing me off. I knew as soon as I posted it someone would know.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Hollyann View Post
So I am cleaning this Raymond and under a very rusty yucky area I came across this pic of a beaver and what looks to be a signature.... Did all the Raymonds have signatures? [ATTACH=CONFIG]306305[/ATTACH]

It's a shame she has so much rust. Also, does anyone know where I could get a back slide plate(rusted) and decals?
Hollyann, can you read the signature? I have not seen an antique nor vintage machine with a signature! That is really a cool piece of history!

Nancy
Old 01-27-2012, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
Sure looks like my Wheeler and Wilson #8.
Did you notice that the treadle wheel is on the outside of the treadle frame, very common on the #8 treadles.

Cathy
Cathy how informative! I had not noticed that the wheel is placed in a different spot!

Nancy
Old 01-27-2012, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Kathie S. View Post
We just love him - we didn't have to go through the puppy stuff and he is so loving probably because he loves it here!

Nancy
Nancy, when did you get the new dog? Bring pictures on the 13th, I want to see. Pit bulls are the sweetest dog, so kind and loving, lucky you. Kathie[/QUOTE]

We got him after we lost little Tarzan the Man, my tiny chihuahua! Rambo is a great dog, meant for us! I will try to remember to bring some photos!

Nancy
Old 01-27-2012, 06:30 AM

What a shame this is. The treadle pedal is even rusted! People just threw these old ladies out in the rain when they got tired of them! That was once a beautiful machine and cabinet! http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2820328462.html

Nancy
Old 01-27-2012, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51 View Post
I am hanging in there and trying to get better. I have to go to NYU in March for a 6 week study so hopefully they can find a cure for this disease or some other type of treatment that is not as bad as whats out there now. Its all going to be experimental and I am not sure how long they are going to do it for and if it works when they will introduce the drug for someone else that might have the disease. But I have learned that since I have no immune system I tend to get sick really easily and just because I had a cold last week doesnt mean I cant get strep the next week!! LOL

Billy
Billy, will you have to stay in NY the whole 6 weeks? I hope this cures you! We will all be praying for you! All the best!

Nancy
Old 01-27-2012, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by ivey_family View Post
Hi Everyone,

I'm very new to the vintage sewing world. I bought a Singer 15-91 last summer and have finally gotten brave enough to get her cleaned up and refurbished. (Her name is Beth!) I've been using Billy's tutorials as a starting place, but wasn't sure if I should remove some of the shuttle and the feed dogs. Any advice or pictures about working in this area?

Thank you!
Carrie Ivey
Carrie welcome aboard! First if you follow Billy's tutes on cleaning the vintage machines - that is all you need. You do not have to completely disassemble the machine. I agree with Charlee. Why do you want to remove the shuttle? I take it you don't mean the shuttle, but the shuttle case as the shuttle just pops in and out? I have several very old machines, the oldest one is 1883 and I didn't remove the shuttle case/race or feed dogs on any of them. Just clean them really good, oil oil oil and use them! There is no reason to remove everything unless you are going to paint the machine. Besides, you could end up messing the machine up permanently because if you lose or break a part, those parts are very hard to find!

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 01-27-2012 at 06:40 AM.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
Neat! Now that I've looked at some other images of the W&W 8, I can see where I was mistaken about the belt. The width of the wheel itself, not the groove, was throwing me off. I knew as soon as I posted it someone would know.
It has the lower, handwheel, indicating an earlier model...the edge of the handwheel being flat also points that direction, the later models of 8's had a higher set wheel and the edge of it was rounded.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
What a shame this is. The treadle pedal is even rusted! People just threw these old ladies out in the rain when they got tired of them! That was once a beautiful machine and cabinet! http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2820328462.html

Nancy
Imagine how the first woman to have owned that machine/cabinet would feel to see her today? ~sigh~