Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-22-2012, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
OK Joe I see why you are getting by with the thread mess you are using! It is because you are using a 66 to do this testing! Those old gals will forgive anything, even a guy who really pushes the buttons! Really cool, by the way! That would be an awesome look for quilting, but I would not have the nerve to try it except with maybe one of the very 'old' gals! The problem with using the 66 is that you have to do straight line quilting because it does not drop its feed dogs! If I tried that in my HQ 16, I would probably ruin the machine - it is so touchy with tensions and thread already! Way to go Joe! We all know those 'old' gals were made to work and forgive even wayward guys for their indiscretions!

Nancy
Nancy,
I seem to have an attraction to the Singer 66s. I have 5 of them and a SEWMOR 404 that is more Singer 66 than anything else. And two 99Ks. Only one of those works. The other one is "in progress". I've been told that the horizontal drop in bobbin is a problem for the thread because the thread changes directions as it its pulled around the bobbin by the hook. But I have sewed on the #1 Singer 66 treadle with a very heavy upholstery thread and it did it. My wife said it wouldn't. My three electrics are some of the nicest sewing machines I have. They do one stitch, straight, and they do it very well.

I've decided that when I straight line quilt this machine cover I'm using I'm going to use four different variegated colors. Two on the top and two in the bobbin. I really like the way the threads come out when they twist as they go through the machine.

Joe
Old 02-22-2012, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Weedwoman View Post
I don't care what anybody says, I love my old T & Sew 626. Maybe because it's what I started out with and it's always done right by me and I've never had a problem. I do have a 306 and don't like that machine at all, I think mostly because you have to tilt the head to install the bobbin case. I have one that is is wonderful running order with 28 cams, lots of the needles it takes and attachments and I'd sell it in a minute, if someone wanted it bad enough to come get it. My cat would miss it because he lays on the closed cabinet to look out the den window. That's my two cents worth. I say, if you have good luck with a machine, that's all the matters.
Cathy says she likes the T&S 600 series. My only experience was with a T&S 750. That machine came to me not sewing properly. I got that dang thing adjusted, but man was that a pain to do. That was my first for the T&S. All the time I was working on that machine, I was thinking I now know one reason why so many women hated to sew, they must of learned on this crappy machine. I sold that machine. Luckily the gal that bought that machine was mainly interested in the cabinet, which made me feel much better knowing that. Money received from that machine went into making a quilt for a victim of the Joplin tornado.

I agree that if one has good luck with the machine then that is all that matters; at least the machine is loved!
Old 02-22-2012, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Yep, I have downloaded the manual and I have done exactly what the manual says. I still get the inbetween stitch. I am thinking Miriam is right and when I get some time I am going to do some of her suggestions to see if something is stuck!

This makes me love my 319w even more as it is so definitive on which stitch you are getting! Those typewriter keys are black and white - no gray - you get what you ask for like the 503a!

Nancy
Actually, you do get gray if you want it:> You can combine the built in stitches on the 319 (levers) by themselves or with the add on discs. The manual says you can combine up to 3 levers or with a cam to get a mix of all three designs. I've never felt the need to do this on a project, but have played with it a bit. It does sound like you've got some "sticking" somewhere in your 401.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher View Post
Glen, nice machine and cabinet. I think you did good on the gold lettering.
Ditto this!! You did a great job on it, Glen.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
Joe; Sounds like my Lily - also a rescue kitty. ..... she has a spilt personality with good and evil twins in rsidence. Mostly, her evil twin lives with us but I wouldn't give her up for anything. FYI: Love the name of Fiona.
We also have a Lily who is good kitty/bad kitty in one adorable fat body. She's almost 11 years old and we have had her and her sister since 3 weeks old. The other is Iris, and is a love all the time. Lily is very much a tomboy...wicked hunter and hallway stalker. She hides behind the furniture and ambushes the other cats, scaring the living tar out of them. She and our siamese boy play hockey in the hallway with whatever little toy they can find...sometimes at 5:00 in the morning. Then I don't think they are so adorable!! LOL
Old 02-22-2012, 10:09 AM

jijack, is that you in your avitar? I like putting faces to the names.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher View Post
jijack, is that you in your avitar? I like putting faces to the names.
Yep...me and my momma!!
Old 02-22-2012, 11:28 AM

Very nice!!
Old 02-22-2012, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by jljack View Post
Yep...me and my momma!!
Beautiful ladies!!
Old 02-22-2012, 12:57 PM

Gosh!! Thanks.