Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-21-2012, 11:50 PM

Should have said put two slices in the roll, not spices. Brain is ready for bed. good night

Cathy
Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
Thanks!! That sounds simple, dough out of a can.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
Should have said put two slices in the roll, not spices. Brain is ready for bed. good night

Cathy
I was thinking just cinnamon, but two slices make sense with the "butterfly it".
Thanks again! I got to go shopping for the dough in a can...I'm giggling here...I love it.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:38 AM

Okay, since I didn't get back here yesterday, they were supposed to be beignets. They were probably closer to cream puffs though. I made them with choux pastry, baked, and just put powdered sugar on them. More "eggy" than the beignets I remember (made with yeast dough), but easier. I pretty much followed the Good Eats recipe. Now I have a gazillion little puffs to use up.

My mother used to make us donuts from canned biscuits! Dusted them in sugar and cinnamon. Those were so good when we were little. I never could get the hang of frying things, and mine don't turn out as well.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I'm with you on the 403 or the 503 - much easier beast to tame...

The lid to the machine should say how to use the disks. I'm thinking the bottom (or right hand gauge goes on S - can't remember the other but it should say) Put your selectors in the configuration for special then make sure the disk is in right. I'm sure you already did that or looked in the manual... So here is what I would look at after making sure I already read the manual or the lid.
Is the stitch selector moving all the way to the top and locking in it's spots? Those stitch selectors tend to get gummy after a couple weeks of setting around. You have to go easy on oil but you have to have oil. If the oil has dried in the posts or in any little place you have to clean it out and re-oil. While you are in there clean out the zig zag pin - it is next to the cam stack and under the rectangle thingy the readers ride on. Take off the lid - then open up the nose door and push on the needle bar you can see it the zig zag pin thiny move side to side next to the needle bar.... follow that bar with your eyes to the readers - it's under there - when you push on the needle bar you will see it go in and out - it needs cleaning and oiling once in a while - so does the 503 and the 403...
Thank you Miriam, I figured you would have an answer. I have read the manual, and I do follow the instructions for using the cam. The problem is that the manual is very vague when it comes to the use of an external cam without combining it with the built in cams. I love my 503a - what I ask for I get - no inbetweens because it does nothing else! I set the 401a on the B with the special and I know the cam is inserted properly, but I still get this inbetween stitch that is neither a built in cam nor the cam I inserted! I will try your suggestions! This machine has been sitting around and was pretty gummy even on the outside so I imagine the insides are gummy too. I have cleaned and oiled the machine, but I have never had to mess with the cam stack or a zig zag thingy before. I will see what I can accomplish! I am sure nothing is broken because I get beautiful built in stitches!

Nancy
Old 02-22-2012, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
OK - I printed out the manual. The selector is set at B and S and the width lever can go anywhere if you have a disk in it.
Yep, exactly what I have it set on. Like I said, I get an inbetween stitch! Definitely not the stitch on the cam I just put in!

Nancy
Old 02-22-2012, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Well, I dood it. And I must report back that all expectations of birds nests and other catastrophes didn't come to pass.
It worked very well.

I set up both cone stands, one with white and one with red serger thread as the top thread, and the yellow Coats machine quilting thread in the bobbin:

I grabbed a small scrap of denim and went around in circles. Worked really good.

Then tried it on pre-quilted scraps:

If you look really close you can see the yellow bobbin thread towards the top and the red and white top thread at the bottom. The tension never gave me the slightest bit of trouble.

Then I grabbed a bigger piece of denim and doubled it:

It sewed through that just as it would have with a single thread. No problems at all.

To get both threads through the needle I had to go from a size 14 to a size 16. I couldn't get both threads through the 14.
I also noticed that as the two threads entered the spring of my widget they twisted and formed a single thread. I'm wondering if it is the circles of the spring that created that effect. No matter how it happened it worked very will through the tensioners, guides and needle.

My next experiment will be three colors of variegated thread. That should be pretty.

Joe
OK Joe I see why you are getting by with the thread mess you are using! It is because you are using a 66 to do this testing! Those old gals will forgive anything, even a guy who really pushes the buttons! Really cool, by the way! That would be an awesome look for quilting, but I would not have the nerve to try it except with maybe one of the very 'old' gals! The problem with using the 66 is that you have to do straight line quilting because it does not drop its feed dogs! If I tried that in my HQ 16, I would probably ruin the machine - it is so touchy with tensions and thread already! Way to go Joe! We all know those 'old' gals were made to work and forgive even wayward guys for their indiscretions!

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 02-22-2012 at 06:04 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:59 AM

Nancy,

I have one or more of both the 206 and the 306. Neat machines, but I have not bonded to any of that series.
Please I do not want to hear any screams, but believe it or not I actually like the early Touch & Sews better.

Cathy
Cathy I have had no dealings with the Touch and Throws, so I will gladly take you word for their worth! The thing is that I have my 319w in treadle and I love using the treadle! She has the most wonderful stitches and it is just so cool to do decorative stitches with the treadle! The Touch and Sew's would not be candidates for a treadle and my friend really wants a machine like my 319w with decorative stitches to treadle. I have heard the whole series - 206, 306, and 319w have a very loud irritating sounding motor, but in treadle the 319w is so quiet and smooth running. She really wants a 319w if she can find one at a reasonable price, but I will tell her to call you about the 306! That sounds like a fun one to try treadling too!

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 02-22-2012 at 06:02 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Nancy, did you get a manual with your machine? It shows you clearly how to do it in the manual with pictures. There are free ones available for download on the net.
Yep, I have downloaded the manual and I have done exactly what the manual says. I still get the inbetween stitch. I am thinking Miriam is right and when I get some time I am going to do some of her suggestions to see if something is stuck!

This makes me love my 319w even more as it is so definitive on which stitch you are getting! Those typewriter keys are black and white - no gray - you get what you ask for like the 503a!

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 02-22-2012 at 06:18 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:33 AM

Glenn, I would love to see your WW8, but the picture on my computer got cut off both here and in the photo shop! I don't know why that happens sometimes? I get whole photos most of the time, but once in a while I only get a partial photo come through!

Nancy
Old 02-22-2012, 07:50 AM

Nancy,

I have one or more of both the 206 and the 306. Neat machines, but I have not bonded to any of that series.
Please I do not want to hear any screams, but believe it or not I actually like the early Touch & Sews better.

Cathy
I don't care what anybody says, I love my old T & Sew 626. Maybe because it's what I started out with and it's always done right by me and I've never had a problem. I do have a 306 and don't like that machine at all, I think mostly because you have to tilt the head to install the bobbin case. I have one that is is wonderful running order with 28 cams, lots of the needles it takes and attachments and I'd sell it in a minute, if someone wanted it bad enough to come get it. My cat would miss it because he lays on the closed cabinet to look out the den window. That's my two cents worth. I say, if you have good luck with a machine, that's all the matters.