Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-23-2011, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by justtrish
Okay, I have finally found a 301...

The owner is asking $70.00 and the machine has been listed since the middle of August.

What should I offer.. I was thinking $50.00???
Offer $35 and go up to $50 if you have to. You can always start low and go higher, it's hard to start higher and take it back! ;)

Point out the faults that you can see to justify the lower price.
We bantered back and forth a bit and settled at $50.00 :)
Old 09-23-2011, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Dolly's sister
Originally Posted by deplaylady
Originally Posted by Up North
Originally Posted by Dolly's sister
You know, I have a vintage Singer treadle machine in my living room. Bought it in an antique store about 15 years ago on the west coast of FL. I haven't taken the time to open her up and see what kind she is now that I know I can get the serial number and find out. I think I will put this on my list of things to do this weekend. Stay tuned, I will post pictures and let you all know what I find out.
I know she works, but needs a spindle for the thread.
~trying to wait patiently~ ;) :lol:
I posted pictures today of my vintage Singer. She's a 1927 Model 66 treadle.
Hard to wait isn't it? I could never have not peeked inside .

We now know who didn't unwrap xmas gifts ahead of time and re-wrap them..... :mrgreen:
When you do, be sure to post pictures! BTW, I would have peeked , too! :)
I peeked when I bought her, but never knew I could actually use her to piece my quilts til I joined this board. Then I found out I could get the model and year made by looking up the serial number. I have been procrastinating for some reason, but now that I know others want to see, I will be encouraged to get the job done.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:53 AM

The owner is asking $70.00 and the machine has been listed since the middle of August.

Offer $35 and go up to $50 if you have to. You can always start low and go higher, it's hard to start higher and take it back! ;)

Point out the faults that you can see to justify the lower price.
We bantered back and forth a bit and settled at $50.00 :)
YAY!! If you'd have offered $50, you'd have ended up at $60! :lol:
Old 09-23-2011, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Hey kids the Boss is in!! I decided to drop by and see how things are going and see what new machines have been rescued lately. As you all know I am very ill and have a super rare autoimmune system disease called Pemphigus Vulgaris. There are only 300 or so cases of it in the States so I am one of a very few. It can not be cured only the symptoms can be tamed and I will die because of it it just depends when God calls me up. But for now I am going to the doctors tomorrow and we are starting the treatments and hopefully by the end of the year I will be under control and I can get back to doing what I love working on sewing machines!!!

Any how I am going to meander through a few pages and see what all you guys found and I will be back tomorrow to let everyone know what is going on.

Billy
Welcome back Billy! We need the "boss" to keep us towing the line around here! You sound really good - so nice to hear that! Don't give up and don't listen 'too' much to the doom and gloom of the Dr's! They don't know everything! At 17, I was told I would never live to be 30 - I could never work - - I had to take a 2 hr nap everyday - all this by well meaning Dr's! Well, I am well over 30, I was an accountant for years holding a full time job, and I have been very active all my life! A lot of your disease has to do with psychosomatics -- your thoughts can make you worse or better! I was forced to retire in 97 - told again I only had 5 years left! Well, I told those Dr's that I would outlive them! Billy, the bottom line is, keep a really positive attitude! We will all keep praying for you - but, you have to stay positive!

Nancy
Old 09-23-2011, 07:57 AM

[quote=miriam
Sew Classic wants 49cents for the bobbin tire. I figure to refer as many people to her as I can so she will stay in business... I might need something again.[/quote]

Yes, I'm buying a lot of stuff from Jenny because of her knowledge and good prices.

I recently ordered a spring for the thread guide on the bobbin winder of my 1909 66. When it arrived, DH took the thread guide off and tried to replace the broken spring. The new one doesn't fit!! It's too small. I think, maybe she got a bad spring in the bunch. We measure both springs and find the new one is 1/16" smaller than the original. I e-mailed her, including pictures, and we discover that my early 66 had a weird bobbin winder....no spring she has will fit it. :cry: So, I'm kinda stuck with a non-operational bobbin winder right now...all I could do is to possibly guide the thread guide with my finger. I'll have to try that.

Anyway...point being, Jenny was personally very helpful and so thorough...she went back into her parts storage and looked at a bunch of the springs to be sure that mine wasn't a variant. Good customer service!! :-)
Old 09-23-2011, 08:00 AM

deplaylady, that's a nice looking walking foot. Is there any indication of its age in the manual?

There's a box of attachments that includes an early walking foot on shopgoodwill.com for $14.99, but the shipping is equal to that, at least for me. I think it's in Tacoma. They also have my Elna for $34. It's listed at 10 pounds, which isn't right, so it would ship for under $20. Lots of other machines, too. Nice old White in a cabinet.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Hey kids the Boss is in!! I decided to drop by and see how things are going and see what new machines have been rescued lately. As you all know I am very ill and have a super rare autoimmune system disease called Pemphigus Vulgaris. There are only 300 or so cases of it in the States so I am one of a very few. It can not be cured only the symptoms can be tamed and I will die because of it it just depends when God calls me up. But for now I am going to the doctors tomorrow and we are starting the treatments and hopefully by the end of the year I will be under control and I can get back to doing what I love working on sewing machines!!!

Any how I am going to meander through a few pages and see what all you guys found and I will be back tomorrow to let everyone know what is going on.

Billy
Glad to see you're still kickin'!! We're all pulling and praying for you....standing in the gap and all that!! Hope your pain is some better. I know this is a long haul illness, as with all autoimmune diseases. No cure, just symptom management. Glad to see you, friend!! :-)
Old 09-23-2011, 08:23 AM

Yes, Yes!! Go for it!! Even $70 is a good price these days. You'll love a 301!!! Mine is my very favorite of all my vintage machines.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Welcome back Billy! We need the "boss" to keep us towing the line around here! You sound really good - so nice to hear that! Don't give up and don't listen 'too' much to the doom and gloom of the Dr's! They don't know everything! At 17, I was told I would never live to be 30 - I could never work - - I had to take a 2 hr nap everyday - all this by well meaning Dr's! Well, I am well over 30, I was an accountant for years holding a full time job, and I have been very active all my life! A lot of your disease has to do with psychosomatics -- your thoughts can make you worse or better! I was forced to retire in 97 - told again I only had 5 years left! Well, I told those Dr's that I would outlive them! Billy, the bottom line is, keep a really positive attitude! We will all keep praying for you - but, you have to stay positive!

Nancy
Nancy, I second those thoughts wholeheartedly!! There is power in prayer and in having a positive attitude about your body and it's ailments.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by jljack

Yes, Yes!! Go for it!! Even $70 is a good price these days. You'll love a 301!!! Mine is my very favorite of all my vintage machines.
I will pick that baby up tomorrow. I have to find a spot for her/him..um... jeepers another one to name :)