Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-11-2011, 09:48 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by irishrose
The Necchi's knee contoller is why I'm selling the Admiral and not the Necchi. I think the Admiral has a better motor and is prettier, but I like the knee controller.

The owner of the free machine just called. It is a Ruby, not a Singer, so it must be a New Home. She asked if I still wanted it. Why not? It should fit better in the house. Of course, it's going smack dab in the center of the kitchen for cleaning first.
Necchi and Admiral swap cabinets??? Be sure to measure - hinges have to line up.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by SusieQuilter
Please help!!!!

I am working on cleaning my Singer 127 and the thumb screw that holds the presserfoot bar in place is frozen solid. Other than WD40 what is the best way to get it off???? Thanks!
Susie, you will need to put the WD40 on or oil and just let it sit. Sometimes it helps to put the machine in the sun with the oil on the screw. Keep trying. It will eventually come free.

Nancy
Nancy, At the TOGA yesterday, Cathy used Tri-Flow to loosen up one machine.

It just takes a drop to loosen a part. If that doesn't work, then a bit of heat may help. The Tri-Flow can be ordered off the internet.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:25 AM

Just got a rocketeer yesterday! Missing cord and foot control, but still excited.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:37 AM

miriam, my Necchi is in a cabinet. That's the one I'm keeping. the Admiral which looks like the Necchi is a portable machine (if you are strong). No cabinet or case.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:41 AM
Power Poster

Tri-flow is good stuff - you can get it from a bicycle shop sometimes. The WD40 and 3in1 oil seem to be more trouble than they are worth - I had one machine that was all seized up and used both - got it working but when the stuff dried it was worse than ever. Kerosene will un-stick your machine just fine. Heat is good. Set it in the sun then see if it moves. It will stick again when it cools off unless you get the goo off though.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:43 AM
Power Poster

miriam, my Necchi is in a cabinet. That's the one I'm keeping. the Admiral which looks like the Necchi is a portable machine (if you are strong). No cabinet or case.
Will the Admiral go in the cabinet?
Old 09-11-2011, 10:57 AM

The Necchi cabinet's hinges are 9.5" OC. The Admiral's holes for hinges are also 9.5" OC, but it has no hinges, so they could probably be swapped out if I wanted the Admiral. It is a pretty machine. I don't have to decide as the portable doesn't take up much space. I do have decide about the rusty treadle in the middle of my kitchen.

GrannieAnnie, I just looked again. It does faintly say Ruby, which means it may be a New Home or a National. The cabinet is not like any New Home I've seen.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:01 AM

The Necchi's knee contoller is why I'm selling the Admiral and not the Necchi. I think the Admiral has a better motor and is prettier, but I like the knee controller.

The owner of the free machine just called. It is a Ruby, not a Singer, so it must be a New Home or another National. She asked if I still wanted it. Why not? It should fit better in the house. Of course, it's going smack dab in the center of the kitchen for cleaning first.

The machine just arrived. It's a little rust bucket. I will have to decide whether it's worth cleaning or not. The irons do move freely. I don't see a name anywhere and the only number is on the slide plate, so it's probably a part number. It's weird. The machine lifts up from back to front and a wood insert comes, too. Little mystery machine.

The machine with the top flat tension bar and the cabinet both look like the Honeymoon I got a couple weeks ago. look back a few posts for pictures.

the only number I found was on the bobbin area. but mine does say HONEYMOON acrosss the front.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Nancy, Janice, Sheryl, and Anamarie (grayhare), it was wonderful meeting all of you today! It was a blast watching Sheryl use her first people machine, a handcrank. Janice and Sheryl made beautiful machine covers.

Nancy, I didn't realize that Loretta went shopping while there.
That Spartan is gorgeous! Is that her first vintage machine?

The demo on the machine attachments was helpful, and now I want to play with mine. I'm planning on making a toddler dress with ruffles.

I purchased some machine parts for my Singer 9W today. I'm looking forward to cleaning that machine and finally treadling with it.

I wish we all lived closer and could meet up more often. It was a fun day!
Yes, Loretta went shopping. Did you see the Spartan she got? It was absolutely pristine! Cathy had converted it to a hand crank with the cutest hand wheel and crank! I have a 99 HC and a 28 HC, but neither one has a reverse! Because of the reverse and the looks of the Spartan with that wheel and crank -- I was drooling over it, but, I am glad Loretta got it. She has been looking for a HC. No this is not her first vintage. She does a lot of classes with me and always uses her FW in class. She also has my Singer 27 pictured on page 357 here! Remember what a mess that machine was when I started cleaning it up? Loretta loves that old girl!

Loretta also has a Rocketeer. I do all my decorative stitches in our Patchabilities classes with my Rocketeer - so of course Loretta was convinced she had to have one too for the same reason! Funny, because we both have very modern, very new machines we could use, but we both use the Rocketeers!

I didn't realize Grayhare was there too! Hello Annamarie!

It would be fun to get together more often!

Nancy
Nancy, Yes I did see that gorgeous Spartan. Loretta is one lucky gal to have a Spartan with HC.

Those Rocketeers are such cool looking machines, and if they sew like the Singer 401, which I'm sure they do, then they are wonderful machines-and for decorative stitching.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQuilter
Please help!!!!

I am working on cleaning my Singer 127 and the thumb screw that holds the presserfoot bar in place is frozen solid. Other than WD40 what is the best way to get it off???? Thanks!
Everyone has a little different way, but I've had luck with Liquid Wrench (penetrating oil, not the spray) and a hair dryer. Put on the oil, let it sit, blast it with the hair dryer a bit, see if it comes loose. If not, keep repeating. Sometimes I'll get a toothbrush and try to loosen some of the gunk too. Also, I've found one of those flat rubber jar openers helpful for getting a good grip on things.