Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-08-2011, 02:56 AM

Thanks to vintagemotif--have searched the Singer website, even tried calling them. HA! busy, busy, busy! Fourth try a recorded message asked me to wait, then promptly hung up!!
searched Ismacs, etc.
Mitchsmom--I think I will have to settle for the date 1967 for a birthdate! My friend has a 301 that is similar and she dates hers as about 1964. We had that thing apart because she took it in for service and it came back with the same problem. We took it apart(2 people=moral support!
and found that it had not been cleaned or lubricated. We did what the instructions said and it came out fine!! She loves her 301.
Miriam-- I have not had much chance to play with it, just got the manual off the internet. What little I have done with it seems like it is a sturdy machine with a decent stitch. Am clearing a spot in my workshop to put it and then we will give her the old college try!!! I like what I see so far!
I thing I am starting to see a "comand Center" developing!! Not a lot of space as I have only half a room.
My husband reloads amunition in the other half and the room is not that big. We need room for the woodstove as it is an outbuilding. I thought about setting a machine up in the house cause I use the dining room table for a cutting table for large projects.
Everyone is so helpful on this board. I just breeze through the newsletter now and head for this VSM.
Thanks again for your help. Now have five machines. No room for more (I think!!!)
Old 09-08-2011, 05:08 AM

[quote=shelburn]Thanks to vintagemotif--have searched the Singer website, even tried calling them. HA! busy, busy, busy! Fourth try a recorded message asked me to wait, then promptly hung up!!
searched Ismacs, etc.
Mitchsmom--I think I will have to settle for the date 1967 for a birthdate! My friend has a 301 that is similar and she dates hers as about 1964. We had that thing apart because she took it in for service and it came back with the same problem. We took it apart(2 people=moral support!
and found that it had not been cleaned or lubricated. We did what the instructions said and it came out fine!! She loves her 301.
Miriam-- I have not had much chance to play with it, just got the manual off the internet. What little I have done with it seems like it is a sturdy machine with a decent stitch. Am clearing a spot in my workshop to put it and then we will give her the old college try!!! I like what I see so far!
I thing I am starting to see a "comand Center" developing!! Not a lot of space as I have only half a room.
My husband reloads amunition in the other half and the room is not that big. We need room for the woodstove as it is an outbuilding. I thought about setting a machine up in the house cause I use the dining room table for a cutting table for large projects.
Everyone is so helpful on this board. I just breeze through the newsletter now and head for this VSM.
Thanks again for your help. Now have five machines. No room for more (I think!!!)[/quote

Just a comment here: PLEASE be careful in that outbuilding as fire and gunpowder sure don't mix!!! (Reloading/woodburner ..............)
Old 09-08-2011, 05:19 AM

Miriam, thanks for the stories about your mother. Wonderful to hear about the clothes she made - especially the coat! And a wedding dress from a silk parachute. I never would have thought. Nowadays, though, I'll bet the parachutes are nylon. So could not accomplish the same thing. Ah, well.

I heard recently from my parents about the thrill it was to be using electrified machines rather than treadle. Dad can't imagine why I am on the hunt for a National two-spools. (My grandmother had one, and Mom learned to sew on it. I remember it from my visits to the farm.) He has bought Mom the latest computerized Viking sewing machine. She gave her 'old' one to my sister.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj
Hello. Singer Industrial 31-15 has 10-1/4" harp compared to my 201's 8". Lots of 31-15's around.
Jon
Ok, so now I'm going to have to be on the look out for a 31-15.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:55 AM

Question? Are the slide plates that go over the bobbins of the machines made in the 1950 - 1960 difficult to find? I saw 4 machines at a thrift store last week and they were all missing the bobbin cover slide plate. The machines were 2 Singers a Montgomery Ward and a Deluxe.

TIA,
M.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:22 AM

Slide plates for Singers are generally easy depending on model as they are still available. Others you'd have to find parts machines or on ebay. Stitches in Time, Sew-Classic, and Ebay are good sources if local shop doesn't have.
Jon
Old 09-08-2011, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by MarieM
Question? Are the slide plates that go over the bobbins of the machines made in the 1950 - 1960 difficult to find? I saw 4 machines at a thrift store last week and they were all missing the bobbin cover slide plate. The machines were 2 Singers a Montgomery Ward and a Deluxe.

TIA,
M.
Does the Montgomery Ward Machine look like this one? I don't know the year - there's no date in the book. I ended up with a manual and these parts (I believe they are from the famous machine that went through Miriam's window):
Attached Thumbnails attachment-253381.jpe   attachment-253382.jpe  
Old 09-08-2011, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Miriam, that was a nice story about your mom making do with what she had. I remember as a child my Aunt had a heavy wool coat and the story goes that she saw a coat in the shop window that she liked so sketched a picture of it then took an old Army or Navy blanket and made the coat.I don't know if she was not able to afford the coat or just wanted to make one.
Maybe she just knew it would be WARM those old blankets were warm specially with the right lining - if it was green it was probably Army if it was blue it was probably Navy. Mom sewed her wedding dress out of a surplus white silk parachute. The
front was all hand smocked and it had 200 covered buttons with loops down the back and a big long train. I should ask her what machine she did it on.
My dad was in the Air Force and worked in the hanger where they repacked parachutes. One time he brought a torn piece home with him and I still have it today.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:10 PM

Guess what!!! After 4 months of screeching that I wanted the garage cleaned out an organized, this weekend we were able to do it.

I now have mom's Featherweight in the house. All she needs is cleaning and oiling and a replacement bobbin case...but she is all mine and in the house where I can look at her, and polish her and spend some time with her.

WOOOHOOO!

Now...to find a bobbin case!
Old 09-08-2011, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by deplaylady
Originally Posted by MarieM

TIA,
M.
Does the Montgomery Ward Machine look like this one? I don't know the year - there's no date in the book. I ended up with a manual and these parts (I believe they are from the famous machine that went through Miriam's window):
I have that very same machine but no manual, do you want to get rid of it?