Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-07-2011, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by cherrybsixty

Now THAT's a chair!
Monica, I love it, its so mid-century, is it comfy?[/quote]

It does the job! :wink:
This chair is cute, but my other chair is the comfy one.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by shelburn
Am pulling my hair out searching the Singer websites trying to find out the age and manufacture date of my Model 348, serial no. 81583-900 "made in Great Britain AIN". All the serial numbers seem to begin with a letter and nothing comes up for this. Have searched Ismacs, Singer Co. and Ask.
Can anyone give me suggestions on where else to look!!
Shelia
I just love the Singer service these day!
Makes ya wonder why they would try to make it so difficult and frustrating to find the info.

Hope this works!

http://www.singerco.com/support/machineSerialNumbers
Old 09-07-2011, 04:52 PM

Am pulling my hair out searching the Singer websites trying to find out the age and manufacture date of my Model 348, serial no. 81583-900 "made in Great Britain AIN". All the serial numbers seem to begin with a letter and nothing comes up for this. Have searched Ismacs, Singer Co. and Ask.
Shelia
I poked around over at the Vintage Singers Yahoo group. One of the first mentions of the 348 was a woman getting hers new in 1967. That is probably as close as you are going to get for a birthday for it. Most of the records were destroyed.

The lists of serial numbers that are provided on the Singer site were compiled by sewing machine lovers and sewing machine historians. The Singer Co. only provides the searchable database, They didn't do the nitty gritty work. We can thank all of the fine folks at ISMACS and many OSMG's - male and female - for the lists of numbers.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:53 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom
Shelia
I poked around over at the Vintage Singers Yahoo group. One of the first mentions of the 348 was a woman getting hers new in 1967. That is probably as close as you are going to get for a birthday for it. Most of the records were destroyed.
Are those 348s any good?
Old 09-07-2011, 05:00 PM

Do you like it and are you happy with it? If so - it is a good machine.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:05 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Miriam, that was a nice story about your mom making do with what she had. I remember as a child my Aunt had a heavy wool coat and the story goes that she saw a coat in the shop window that she liked so sketched a picture of it then took an old Army or Navy blanket and made the coat.I don't know if she was not able to afford the coat or just wanted to make one.
Do you know my mom never let on we were poor. She grew up on a farm in southern Wisconsin during the depression. Knowing my mom she was making do because she wanted the money for something else. Whether she needs to or not she can pinch a penny until Abraham Lincoln has bruises on his eyeballs. When I went to school I saw all the kids that had much less than I ever did.

Do you know how copper wire was invented???

Two Scotchmen a tuggin' on a penny...

history lesson for the night eh?
Old 09-07-2011, 05:10 PM
Power Poster

if you REALLY love it and use it all the time and would be heart broken if it broke - then that's the one....
Old 09-07-2011, 05:33 PM

Shelia

The lists of serial numbers that are provided on the Singer site were compiled by sewing machine lovers and sewing machine historians. The Singer Co. only provides the searchable database, They didn't do the nitty gritty work. We can thank all of the fine folks at ISMACS and many OSMG's - male and female - for the lists of numbers.
I thank all the fine folks at ISMACS and others who helped in compiling that list. :-) It is extremely helpful!!! Just for some reason in the past couple of months, the Singer Co. had made it difficult to find the list on their site. :cry:
Old 09-07-2011, 05:46 PM

I thank all the fine folks at ISMACS and others who helped in compiling that list. It is extremely helpful!!! Just for some reason in the past couple of months, the Singer Co. had made it difficult to find the list on their site.
I understand what you mean. I don't usually have reason to go to the Singer site but I was looking for a part number the other day and ended up there. I had a doozy of a time trying to find a parts list diagram! It is almost as if Rube Goldberg is the IT person over there!
Old 09-07-2011, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by miriam

if you REALLY love it and use it all the time and would be heart broken if it broke - then that's the one....
Miriam, that's the way I feel about the 401A, and I'll probably love the FW when I get a chance to use it.