Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-28-2011, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by Phyllis nm
the book that came with it says 500, i tried to look it up, it was made in 1961. when i looked on the web it said never sew with out the o cam.
hm I've never seen one come with a 0 cam - what page is that on?
i saw it here:
http://www.newenglandsimpleliving.co...0aslantno3.htm
Old 06-28-2011, 03:13 PM
Power Poster

the book that came with it says 500, i tried to look it up, it was made in 1961. when i looked on the web it said never sew with out the o cam.
hm I've never seen one come with a 0 cam - what page is that on?
i saw it here:
http://www.newenglandsimpleliving.co...0aslantno3.htm
but what page in the user/owner's manual?
I want to make sure I haven't missed something - I use a Singer 403a.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:20 PM

Here is the link to comprehensive information on all Singer models on the ISMACS site.

This is so cool. Also shows needles required, and explains the little letter meanings...i.e. 301a means made in Anderson, SC, g means Germany, etc. Lots of really cool information on all the different models.

http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...ist/index.html
Old 06-28-2011, 03:42 PM

Oh my....just went out today to do a little "junkin" because I didn't want to stay at home. Can I help it if this stuff followed me back?
Grand total of today's expenditures? $10.00. (5 for the machine, 5 for the iron and buttonholer)

GE Travel Steam Iron, Greist Buttonholer with 10 cams, and a White Number 8. (I seem to have a thing for 8's!)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]218238[/ATTACH]

I'm thinking I'll name her Fannie, any other suggestions?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]218239[/ATTACH]

The steam iron is like NEW, the buttonholer has that ever elusive eyelet cam! :)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]218240[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-218232.jpe   attachment-218233.jpe   attachment-218234.jpe  
Old 06-28-2011, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Oh my....just went out today to do a little "junkin" because I didn't want to stay at home. Can I help it if this stuff followed me back?
Grand total of today's expenditures? $10.00. (5 for the machine, 5 for the iron and buttonholer)
Can I come shopping with you sometime Charlee? :shock: Cool stuff... love Fannie, her decals are beautiful.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:31 PM
Power Poster

I checked over the Elna I got the other day - everything runs smooth and nice. I cleaned out lint and old oil then oiled her. Then I got to looking at the bling she came with. She came with a two speed foot control - sweet. I found an original kit she came with. All but 2 bobbins, I got a dozen discs, there isn't a scratch on that machine. BUT somebody dropped a bunch of green paint all over her cord. Then I dug into the basket the lady gave me. When I got it I just sort of glanced around it a little. Many of the spools for thread are wooden. There was some quilting thread. There was a spool of silk thread. Old packs of 35 cent needles some quilt scraps and some wide bias tape. Dried up un-opened Fray Check still in the package. I got a real nice pair of pinking shears too. In the bottom of the basket buried deep in the thread tangles was a free motion foot. The rest of the feet were in the kit. I wonder if she was a quilter? I haven't named her yet - we haven't gotten THAT familiar yet...

Then I looked at the Bernina I got at GW a few weeks ago. I used heat and got the knobs and levers to turn - yeah. I had oiled it but to no avail. The power cord doesn't work and the knee control doesn't have much play. She has a couple nylon gears that kind of scare me. The table is VERY nice. Again a lot of old wooden spools of thread.

Then I read the manual, got out a dead Elna to see if I could fix her. I read the service manual. AH I can do this. The screws wouldn't come out. I oiled a few times today. Maybe tomorrow if it doesn't unscrew I'll try heat - just now thought of it.

I'd say the two machines are a decade or so apart in age. The Bernina is a bit older. It amazes me to look at the engineering in those old machines. They were so intricate and yet they have held up over such a long time. Then I looked at my old Singer 403 of the same time frame. It was all metal even the gears. I also have an old Necchi Nora - it has a broken plastic stitch length adjuster - The Bernina and the Elna have nylon gears. I guess the sewing machine companies were fooling around with plastics and nylon back then - The machine works are a wonder though. Each of them is different in how they work. It totally fascinates me. Then I look at an old Japanese straight stitch. No nonsense there. It is so amazing how these are put together!!! You sure don't see much when you look in the new plastic and stamped metal machines - is it any wonder they don't hold up and you can't get anybody to repair them??? Yeah I have a bunch of old machines. Yeah the DILs think I'm a hoarder... well they are correct. (AND I hoard fabric too - OH, the shame of it all...) I guess I can't bear to see those old machines discarded by the same people that talk about everything being 'green' Wanna go green? Get a vintage sewing machine and learn to use it - re-make some clothes instead of discarding them. Ok you might have to piece them together or make t shirt quilts or make some quilts out of old clothes - BUT go green!
Old 06-28-2011, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Can I come shopping with you sometime Charlee? :shock: Cool stuff... love Fannie, her decals are beautiful.
You can come go junkin' with me ANYTIME! :) I left behind two Domestics and a New Home...the guy told me with this one that "The machine's not worth anything, but the cabinet is good to set a microwave on or somethin'." I couldn't agree with him fast enough...told him I was thinking of a plant stand for the deck.... :lol:
Old 06-28-2011, 04:33 PM
Power Poster

You can come go junkin' with me ANYTIME! :) I left behind two Domestics and a New Home...the guy told me with this one that "The machine's not worth anything, but the cabinet is good to set a microwave on or somethin'." I couldn't agree with him fast enough...told him I was thinking of a plant stand for the deck.... :lol:
can I tag along?
Old 06-28-2011, 04:35 PM

Miriam, I couldn't agree more...HOWEVER!! The more of the "greenies" that start picking up the vintage machines, the fewer of them are out there for US!! :lol:
Old 06-28-2011, 04:35 PM

can I tag along?
ABSOLUTELY!! :D