Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 11-20-2011, 04:59 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by auniqueview View Post
I think that I am going to stop fooling around with my Kenmore for a while, and put my brother up on the cabinet, and whip out two more Christmas outfits for my dogs (yes, I am one of those) so I can get their photos and make my Christmas cards. I finally got the needle to stop breaking, and now the bobbin is doing a devil dance for me. Well...that bobbin is going outside with me for the dog's next potty break, and we will see how far into the woods I can throw it before we come back in. I HAVE HAD IT!!!! I don't care if Sears says it is the right one....it does not fit right!! THe machine is metal, why can't I use one of the old metal one in there? I have some old Singer ones - will they work right? Sheesh, could NOT be any worse than this one. I swear, I now have a white streak in my blonde hair that no hairdresser could match,lol.

I really need to hook up the power to my green Japanese 15 and get it up and running, lol. What do you do when you get this frustrated?
ROTFLMBO - just use the clone - those are cool. I've been sorely tempted to throw a serger through window - finally gave it to DD.... evil grin...
Old 11-20-2011, 04:59 PM

I think that I am going to stop fooling around with my Kenmore for a while, and put my brother up on the cabinet, and whip out two more Christmas outfits for my dogs (yes, I am one of those) so I can get their photos and make my Christmas cards. I finally got the needle to stop breaking, and now the bobbin is doing a devil dance for me. Well...that bobbin is going outside with me for the dog's next potty break, and we will see how far into the woods I can throw it before we come back in. I HAVE HAD IT!!!! I don't care if Sears says it is the right one....it does not fit right!! THe machine is metal, why can't I use one of the old metal one in there? I have some old Singer ones - will they work right? Sheesh, could NOT be any worse than this one. I swear, I now have a white streak in my blonde hair that no hairdresser could match,lol.

I really need to hook up the power to my green Japanese 15 and get it up and running, lol. What do you do when you get this frustrated?
I pull out my hair like Moe does to Larry and put the machine away before I do something I regret.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:54 PM
Power Poster

http://bloomington.craigslist.org/atq/2712280568.html
shazam that is a neat little piece.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
http://bloomington.craigslist.org/atq/2712280568.html
shazam that is a neat little piece.
I have one of those. I think I've had it almost 60 years, maybe more. I know it was given to me used.
It does a chain stitch. The green felt on the bottom is almost all there. The only number I can find on it is a 2...on one of the places where you thread it. I know nothing more about it.
Many years ago, I took it to our local Singer store and the guy told me it wasn't worth anything as there were so many around. I think that was about 35 years ago.
Jan on 446
Old 11-20-2011, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
Went to in-laws today with my FW and next quilting project. I'm trying to get a couple of Christmas presents done by end of month. So, I got to play with the FW while working on next project. These machines are so cute! And they sew very quietly, but a bit too fast for me. Spent some time figuring the amount of pressure to apply on the foot pedal without the machine taking off. I finally found the groove and worked away happily while chatting with MIL. She was fascinated with the machine since she had never seen one and also wanted to know what year they were made; she is 87. Anywhoo, fun day with a cute little machine...great machine to take on travels.
Monica, sounds like you had a fun and fulfilling day with the FW! It is a lot of fun to take the FW on field trips because: one, it is so small and easy to take, and two, everyone is fascinated by the tiny size and immense power of the FW!

Nancy
Old 11-20-2011, 09:35 PM

I call the spousal unit and make him work on it until it stitches the way I want it to!! LOL
Old 11-20-2011, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by jillnjo View Post
Hi to all you old machine lovers!! I am a new owner of a Free no.5 that is in great shape! She is in a very nice cabinet that only needs shined up a bit. My husband took it apart to clean it by Billie's tutorial. Now, when he turned it up-side down a little steel pin fell out onto the table. It looks like a pin that Billie shows with the tension peices. Can anyone explain how to put it back in it's proper place? I thank you already and will post pictures when we get it back together.
Oops! ~wink~
Question for you...was there a reason to tear it apart? Was it totally frozen or full of rust? Just curious...most of the time there's really no reason to tear into them as per Billy's tutorials unless 1. The machine is pathetically dirty and rusty, or 2. You want to.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Quilter7x View Post
Here is a picture of the foot pedal.

Charlee, I checked the link (thank you for that) but he doesn't have my model foot pedal. This sewing machine is a 158.14101 and the foot pedal model is 6813. I'm going to keep the link for future reference.
I belong to a Yahoo group just for Kenmores so you might do a search for that. Very good info and help!
Old 11-21-2011, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms View Post
I belong to a Yahoo group just for Kenmores so you might do a search for that. Very good info and help!

Oooh, that's a good thought. I am a Yahoo member, so I'll go join this group. I should probably look in SewItsForSale also. Thanks!

Edit: I just joined, waiting to be "approved". I did check SewItsForSale and they don't have a foot pedal. It's OK, I'll do my best at impatiently waiting!!!

Last edited by Quilter7x; 11-21-2011 at 05:49 AM.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:48 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
Oops! ~wink~
Question for you...was there a reason to tear it apart? Was it totally frozen or full of rust? Just curious...most of the time there's really no reason to tear into them as per Billy's tutorials unless 1. The machine is pathetically dirty and rusty, or 2. You want to.
Charlee, some times it IS necessary to dismantle for those reasons. We disassembled the clone's bobbin area because it was so easy and because I wanted to show Hannah and Iris how. BUT we put it back asap. We never did dis-assemble the tension. Sometimes I do. A good visual inspection and then test it to see if the thread is hanging up. Muv showed it all in her video. Give it a very good look first - keep track of parts, keep a manual around and keep kids, dogs, helpful teens, spouse unless one is useful. A lot of the time the tension is in perfect working order. Just blow off the dust etc. As far as cleaning a tension. A bit of oil or triflo on a piece of string - then floss good will clean up dried up gunk. We cleaned up Iris' Singer 99, oiled and she was good to go.