Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-22-2011, 03:00 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quilt addict
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I went to the library today to check out some new quilting books, but I took a detour while there and found myself in the sewing machine section. I discovered that my library has a wonderful book called Sincere's Sewing Machine Service Book by William Ewers, printed 1968. I suggest hunting this valuable book down if you haven't read it already.
I checked Amazon and a newer version is listed for $385...so guess I will search my library also. At least I can do it online.
no wonder I could never find anything....
Old 06-22-2011, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by a1crafter
Is there a site that identifies Singer Attachments by part number? I Have #160629, a ruffle. Does It fit a 301A?
381200 Singer G Britain, a hemmer or binder I think, what machine does it fit? J63455 seems incomplete, looks like it might have something to do with fold over bias binding but There is no apparent way to attach it to the machine. A presser plate 181825. Looking forward to your help.

I have the same Singer Ruffler #160629. I purchased it from a man who deals with 301s. It fits my 301 & my 500A Rocketeer.

Blessings,
Sandi
Old 06-22-2011, 04:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by hspirit_99
found this at a thrieft shop. she is called an Aldena, but has singer decals and serial number. she isnt much bigger if any then my FW
Ok now I am confused? That 99 clone has a name other than Singer on the arm, yet it has the Singer badge?

Miz Johnny can you answer that one? Or Billy? Singer never badged a machine, and I have never seen one with any name across the arm made by Singer - accept SINGER?

Nancy
Where is the photo at for me to look at?

Billy
Old 06-22-2011, 04:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by jljack
I am waiting on my 66-1...should be here by end of week. Can someone explain the difference in the Lotus decals? What makes them "brown", and what other colors are there?
There were the Brown and Orange flowers offered. The brown ones are the more rare ones and if I could find a Brown Lotus handcrank I would be in heaven!!

Billy
Well, my flowers are predominantly green with a little brown at the bottom. Does that makes them brown?
They are brown!!

Billy
Old 06-22-2011, 04:33 PM
Power Poster

I got all the treadle bases out of the garage. I got them all cleaned up and oiled the action. There is a "New Home", a Singer and possibly a "Free" (it doesn't have a name but I saw a "Free" on one like it) The "New Home" wheel rubs some where now that I got all the thread picked out of the action - is there a way to fix it? Other wise it turns pretty smooth. The Singer works great. The "Free" sure looks cool with all the circles and diamond shapes and it works good but not as smooth as the Singer. What have you all noticed about treadles? I found a table top that just unscrewed off the base - no sides at all. I intend to use the machine not store it in the table. Now to get it in a place I want to use it and get it all screwed together. I have a very long work week this week but I've spent a little time playing with the Singer 401G. I have to come up with another table top for the 411G. The 411G also needs spool holders. Does anybody know how to attach them? I'm thinking a nail on a board or a paint roller on a hook on the wall or something alternative at this point. That poor machine was very abused. Lint clogged bobbin, bent needle shaft, broken spool holders, and they broke the cabinet to get the hinges out of the cabinet - serious damage. I hope they don't own a dog or have kids. Some people just shouldn't own sewing machines. If it would have been in fantastic shape, I guess it would have cost me more to buy it.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:40 PM
Banned

Well I went Thrift storing today even though I was not supposed to leave the house for anything (still under house arrest until the doctor gives me the okay to get out) but I found a slew of sewing machines and accessories. I found several Singers (none of which I wanted) but I did find 2 Dressmakers from the 60's and a Domestic that was absolutely gorgeous and had all of the accessories in the correct box lots of notions and bobbins along with several pairs of scissors. It was in a Queen Anne Cabinet that was perfect and was very well taken car of. But I did not get it hoping that the price will drop and it was electric and I do not do electrics.

But I did buy a lot of books, fabric and accessories today!!

Billy
Old 06-22-2011, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Well I went Thrift storing today even though I was not supposed to leave the house for anything (still under house arrest until the doctor gives me the okay to get out) but I found a slew of sewing machines and accessories. I found several Singers (none of which I wanted) but I did find 2 Dressmakers from the 60's and a Domestic that was absolutely gorgeous and had all of the accessories in the correct box lots of notions and bobbins along with several pairs of scissors. It was in a Queen Anne Cabinet that was perfect and was very well taken car of. But I did not get it hoping that the price will drop and it was electric and I do not do electrics.

But I did buy a lot of books, fabric and accessories today!!

Billy
Did you buy the dressmakers?? I'd like to get rid of the one I have, I think. Can you tell me why I should keep it? I just don't "love" it. Yet. It runs LOUD! Comes with all the cams. The most recent Montgomery Wards ones run so quiet!! I'd keep them over the dressmaker.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:54 PM

Hi Sandi,
I recent[y bought a 301a and I love the way it sews. Unfortunately it does not have many accessories. I am anxious to try out the ruffler. I will be on the lookout for more accessories
Power Poster

Did you buy the dressmakers?? I'd like to get rid of the one I have, I think. Can you tell me why I should keep it? I just don't "love" it. Yet. It runs LOUD! Comes with all the cams. The most recent Montgomery Wards ones run so quiet!! I'd keep them over the dressmaker.[/quote]

keep the one you love - you know you won't sew as much with a machine you don't love - I had an electronic sewing machine and I hated it - rarely sewed until I got rid of it and went back to a vintage machine that I love.

Glad you coudl get out for a little thrift storing today, Billy. Hope you get released soon.