Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1726 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 726 1226 1626 1676 1716 1725 1726 1727 1736 1776 ... LastLast
Results 43,126 to 43,150 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice/assistance. We purchased an old house in Oct. along with its contents. I now have a Queen treadle and a Singer 66 Red Eye (very cool!!). I started cleaning up the Red Eye today and like an idiot I saw what I thought was red lint stuck by the bobbin case and have been picking & pulling at it. UGH!! Now I understand that it is a wick. How the heck do I replace this? I know I should have researched first but just didn't think clearly - one of my cats was killed last night on the road and we are trying to dig a grave for her - ground frozen, rainy awful day. So please be kind lol. I will post some pics soon to show you what I inherited here. Thanks in advance for your assistance!
    Like the moon, and the stars, and the sun - yeah we all shine on.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeegirl View Post
    I'm hoping someone can give me some advice/assistance. We purchased an old house in Oct. along with its contents. I now have a Queen treadle and a Singer 66 Red Eye (very cool!!). I started cleaning up the Red Eye today and like an idiot I saw what I thought was red lint stuck by the bobbin case and have been picking & pulling at it. UGH!! Now I understand that it is a wick. How the heck do I replace this? I know I should have researched first but just didn't think clearly - one of my cats was killed last night on the road and we are trying to dig a grave for her - ground frozen, rainy awful day. So please be kind lol. I will post some pics soon to show you what I inherited here. Thanks in advance for your assistance!
    Sorry to hear about your cat Yankeegirl.
    This should help you with your wick issue. Plain craft felt works, but your sewing store MAY carry or can get the replacement.
    http://color-my-world-with-warmth.bl...k-on-66-1.html
    ~G~
    BTW, I recently restored a Queen. Pretty machines.

Oh thank you so much! I will check that out and let you know how I do. Do you have any pics of the restored Queen? Would love to see them.

Not sure how to do this. I have very little computerese and don't know if anyone will get this message or how to retrieve an answer.
    Today I bought a Singer 404 with beautiful table at a thrift store. The machine needs exterior cleaning up to start. What should I use to clean the exterior body of it, and all the nooks and crannies? I haven't opened the machine yet. the sample showed a beautiful stitch. Basically it was the table I was interested in so the machine was secondary. I read it's a good machine.
    Hello from Shenandoah Valley, VA. Quilting a few years. Love the process of creating the quilt top, but don't like making the sandwich of top, batting and backing as much. We have two Labrador Retrievers, a yellow and a chocolate. Blessings to all!

Quote Originally Posted by angelarose View Post
    The machine needs exterior cleaning up to start.... I read it's a good machine.
    You read right. There's a sticky thread on how to clean vintage machines third or fourth from the top of the vintage enthusiast section.
    Singers: model 12 MOP (1885) Improved Family 29k58 (1939) 44K11 (1921) 201K2, 201K23 206k11 (1950) 222k (1959) 320k2(1959), 15K90, Bernina 530, Pfaff:360 (1959) http://tailororfailure.blogspot.com

here's one nice ole' NECCHI MACHINE . don't know if the price is nice too.

Quote Originally Posted by vmaniqui View Post
    Lovely machine, doesn't come with any other feet though. So I think its kind of expensive.
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by angelarose View Post
    Not sure how to do this. I have very little computerese and don't know if anyone will get this message or how to retrieve an answer.
    Today I bought a Singer 404 with beautiful table at a thrift store. The machine needs exterior cleaning up to start. What should I use to clean the exterior body of it, and all the nooks and crannies? I haven't opened the machine yet. the sample showed a beautiful stitch. Basically it was the table I was interested in so the machine was secondary. I read it's a good machine.
    I use a mild car wax and wooden toothpicks in the many crevaces on those 404's with good results.
    G

Quote Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
    I use a mild car wax and wooden toothpicks in the many crevaces on those 404's with good results.
    G
    and sewing machine oil.

Quote Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
    Thank you ThayerRags. I knew I read this somewhere and this may be it, but I am not certain. However, here, the author is talking specifically about the 27K. http://oldsingersewingmachineblog.co...wing-machines/ .....
    I’ve read that blog, and I saw his comment about the later model 27Ks that had a handcrank boss on them (Quote: “The best I can do is say that in 1900 at least some 27K’s didn’t have a boss but by 1903 they all did.”), but I’ve never seen a Singer Model 27 with a hand crank boss on it. I don’t see a photo of one on his blog either. I’ve got three later 27-3 machines, (1903, 1908, & 1911) and none of them have a boss on them.

CD in Oklahoma
    "I sew, I sew, so it's off to work I go!!!"
    ThayerRags Fabric Center
    http://thayerrags.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
    I’ve read that blog, and I saw his comment about the later model 27Ks that had a handcrank boss on them (Quote: “The best I can do is say that in 1900 at least some 27K’s didn’t have a boss but by 1903 they all did.”), but I’ve never seen a Singer Model 27 with a hand crank boss on it. I don’t see a photo of one on his blog either. I’ve got three later 27-3 machines, (1903, 1908, & 1911) and none of them have a boss on them.

CD in Oklahoma
    I can't say that I have either. I am reminded of a quote. "Never believe anything you hear and only half of what you see."
    ~G~

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vmaniqui View Post
    It is a Mira not a plain BU and comes with cams, Wonder Wheel and some stuff. Nice machine but I think a bit high on the price.
    Chris
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

It has been a long time since I posted on the thread. But with the new year been wanting to get back to some of the neglected machines. I dropped the shuttle from my Domestic Rotary and of course the tip broke off. I thought no problem I have another one to clean so I will just get the shuttle out of that one. It is a tad too big. I can force it in but then the machine is bound up and difficult to turn. Anyone have a shuttle they are willing to part with? In the manual it is listed as part 825 I believe.
    Lisa

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeegirl View Post
    Hi Yankee girl, I am so sorry to hear about your cat.

I just logged in to find out the answer to my question which is the same as yours. A few days ago DH brought home a $20 Spartan he found at a local thrift store. It will need lots of cleaning and de rusting. As I was oiling the bobbin race from underneath, I spotted what I thought to be a build up of lint. After tugging pretty hard on it with tweezers I decided it must be an oil wick of some sort. Here is a photo to show what I am talking about. I didn't manage to pull it out so it should still work, right?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SewExtremeSeams; 01-15-2014 at 03:20 PM.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

Hey Linda! I actually managed to remove more than you did lol. I'm going to just replace mine as its old anyway - the house we bought had been empty for 3 years before we moved in and who knows the last time this machine was even used. I'm taking my time with this - I'm in no hurry and its all new to me so going to read everything I can and ask lots of questions! I'm sure someone that knows will chime in so that you have an answer.

I have a quick question for all of you awesome pro's out there . Can you use stove polish paste on the irons (legs)? I used to work for a stove installer and we sold it at the shop. Its black paste that you rub on cast stoves (wood mostly) and it cleans them up and brings the color back. Not sure if it would rub off on my feet as I treadle lol. Just curious if anyone has ever used it.

never heard of it, but it is now on my list of things to try

Blog Entries
    There have been several members that have used stove black on the irons and have has good results.
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 4dogs View Post
    Would you by chance have a manuel for Free Westinghouse model J ? I just got mine and can not seem to get it threaded correctly........so I cant sew with it...........any help appreciated..........
    I have two manuals for a free machine only mine are treadles. If you can send a picture. That would help. Sometimes we can look at the machine and walk you through the threading process.
    Quilting with a friend keeps me in stitches.

Trish

Well, I am new here but have a few older machines and if I am not mistaken you can just stick a little piece of cotton batting in there and then oil it. If I am wrong hopefully someone will correct me and give us both the right answer.

I have the following machines: Free No 5 treadle, Davis VF2 one treadle and one electric (but now treadle), Singer 99 electric, and 15-91 electric. I recently sold a Singer 127 handcrank (or 128 I get them confused). I have to fight the urge to buy old machines when I see them, but lack of space helps control that.

BTW, can someone tell me how to date the DVFs?

Thanks,
    Jp

Quote Originally Posted by minibarn View Post

BTW, can someone tell me how to date the DVFs?

Thanks,
    Jp
    The machines can be dated from the serial numbers on the front slide plate. Here's a list of some dated Davis Vertical Feed warranties

Jon

Was wondering if Jon could work his magic and tell me what Davis machine I've got, lol. I hear about the burdick and Minnesota but no models that just say Dayton? Serial number 808498 and there is an H stamped on the plate as well so I assume around 1901 model H? And which needles? Thanks so much! [IMG][/IMG]

jenak1998,

Beautiful Dayton, not many survive in that nice a shape. Your correct, it is a model H, Underfeed rather than Vertical Feed. 1901 is a good estimate on it's date as I've never come across a dated warranty for this model. The warranty card probably would have been a page in the owners manual and filled out by the owner. The first Davis Underfeed, the Advance, model E was introduced around 1892, shortly after Davis moved to Dayton, Ohio from Watertown, NY.

The most common available needles for the "Davis Long" is the Boye #10 and MTx190. The Boye #10 is a new old stock wooden tube with three sometimes 4 needles that would have been sold in hardware or general stores. Cost is around $10 per tube on ebay. MTx190 is an industrial needle with the same dimensions as the Boye #10 but with a round shank instead of flat. The MTx190 needle must be aligned so the scarf is to the right and the long groove to the left for the machine to sew properly. Cost is about $4 for 10 on ebay.

Here's a manual for a Davis Burdick, model G, slightly smaller sister to the model H.

http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollect...f/sil10-37.pdf

Enjoy,
    Jon

Thanks so much for the info Jon. I thought it looked rather like the Burdick. It works really well and I haven't even cleaned it up much yet.

Quote Originally Posted by jenak1998 View Post
    Thanks so much for the info Jon. I thought it looked rather like the Burdick. It works really well and I haven't even cleaned it up much yet.
    The Burdick, later called Minnesota B, has a slightly smaller bed size than your Dayton. The only way I can tell the difference from a photo is the slightly different position of the stitch regulator. Nothing fussy about the older Davis Underfeeds once you have the right sized needle. I've found quite a few 15x1 needles in my Davis' which fall short of the shuttle.

Jon