Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1727 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 727 1227 1627 1677 1717 1726 1727 1728 1737 1777 ... LastLast
Results 43,151 to 43,175 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Please tell me that I haven't made a mistake. I purchase for $171.00 in an auction a Singer sewing machine- Vintage Singer Featherweight sewing machine 1947. Foot pedal, stitch switch, reverse switch, four bobbins and other sewing part, light attached to sewing machine.

Name:  sa9675103115-ra.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  21.4 KB

Probably not...but until you can physically check it, who knows? If it has a good bobbin hook, case base, motor, needle plate, then you (probably) did fine. Those parts can add up some $$ if they aren't good. Keep fingers x'd !!

Bobbins are there and hopefully it has bobbin case as it is an expensive part. Oldsewnsew is right, until you have it you wouldn't know. But if everything is ok, that's a really good price.

Can't wait for it to get here, thanks for your answers. Hope it is there!!

I don't think you did wrong, Maureen. That's a good price for a FW in this area and many others. Just check it out really well...... and if you have any problems, there are a ton of people here to give advise.
    --- Jean

I'd rather spend money on my quilting hobby than the therapist.... I'm probably $$$ ahead.... and I'm happy!!

Featherweights are usually in the $350-400 range in my area. They've always been on the high price range for second market sewing machines.
    Singer 66 treadle, Singer 15-91, JC Penney 6923, Kenmore 50, White 2334, Brother 920D serger. RIP Singer 1036

Blog Entries
    I have a question... I have a Howe Model G SN 1268350. Ismacs list three Howe G models each has a diff needle listed (Boye 2,4 and 18) I am confused as to what needle to use. I also need some threading instructions or manual. this is my first Howe. My cabinet has "The New Howe" decal on the coffin top. thanks for any help.
    Skip
    Glenn W. Cleveland

so if you only "new howe" heh...
    Jim

"What do you mean worrying doesn't help? Everything I ever worried about...never happened!"
    quote by __________ I forget who.

I would suggest 127x1 The "New Howe" or Howe "G" seems to have been made from around 1883-1886

When I get home I will look at my Boye display to see what # they call out for the Howe G/New Howe

it is the last machine made by the Howe Company itself. Later units Howe E were made by other firms and badged as Howe

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I have a question... I have a Howe Model G SN 1268350. Ismacs list three Howe G models each has a diff needle listed (Boye 2,4 and 18) I am confused as to what needle to use. I also need some threading instructions or manual. this is my first Howe. My cabinet has "The New Howe" decal on the coffin top. thanks for any help.
    Skip
    Hi Skip,

All of the needle sizes you listed are close in size to a 20x1 needle, though the shank diameter varies on all three. I'd try a 20x1 if available or a 15x1 and lower 5mm or so and see what happens.

I could only find a manual for the older style Howe's:

http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollect...0864/index.htm

Lots of interesting stuff on Howe in the Smithsonian site.

Good Luck
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    I would suggest 127x1 The "New Howe" or Howe "G" seems to have been made from around 1883-1886

When I get home I will look at my Boye display to see what # they call out for the Howe G/New Howe

it is the last machine made by the Howe Company itself. Later units Howe E were made by other firms and badged as Howe
    The Boye display recommends Boye 18 which is a 127x1.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Jon and Steve I will try all suggested.
    Skip
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldsewnsew View Post
    so if you only "new howe" heh...
    I love your sense of humor. We do have fun here don't we .....
    Skip
    Glenn W. Cleveland

ok, My early Boye (pre-1914) circular display has TWO listings...

Howe G - 18
    New Howe - 5

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    ok, My early Boye (pre-1914) circular display has TWO listings...

Howe G - 18
    New Howe - 5
    I have some of all the needles mention by you and Jon so I will just have to try them to see what will work.
    thank you again,
    Skip
    Glenn W. Cleveland

I have always wanted a treadle and now I have a chance to own one. It is a Singer made in 1926. It has been cleaned up and has a new belt. Runs great! Here's the deal. I have to trade my 1947 New Home plus $100.00 for it. The silly thing is I want this particular treadle because it was made in the same year my mom was born and she just passed away last week. Is that a silly reason to buy something...so sentimental! Is the machine worth it...that's my question! Your thoughts please! Thank you...
    Attached Images Attached Images

It isn't a silly thing to want a machine. And I totally understand your reason for wanting one that was the same age as your mom. I've been trying to find a FW from my birth year. But, the price on this one seems pretty high to me. Of course, machines are way more expensive in some areas than what I've seen them for around here. But no price is too much if it's what you want and it's available.
    --- Jean

I'd rather spend money on my quilting hobby than the therapist.... I'm probably $$$ ahead.... and I'm happy!!

Blog Entries
    I understand your reasons for wanting it and machines are not cheap in Texas but be sure that you can live without your New Home. That might be true if you've a collection and can spare the New Home.

I just rehomed 5 of my machines which didn't even dent the supply but it made DH and the recipients happy so I am happy too with my decision.
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

Has anyone heard from Miriam lately. I haven't seen any posts from her and she's usually on here every day. I hope she's okay and just too busy to sit on the 'puter all day. Miss you, Miriam.
    --- Jean

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
    Has anyone heard from Miriam lately. I haven't seen any posts from her and she's usually on here every day. I hope she's okay and just too busy to sit on the 'puter all day. Miss you, Miriam.
    I just noticed that. Maybe it's the cold and she's just extremely busy. I know she had a daughter getting married in Florida so maybe she's there.
    Chris
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

My understanding is that she will be back in town today, yes she was in Florida

Quote Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
    I just noticed that. Maybe it's the cold and she's just extremely busy. I know she had a daughter getting married in Florida so maybe she's there.
    Chris
    yes, she's in florida vacationing and I think she's back to work today.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
    Chris
    I am alive and well. I just got back from a couple weeks vacation in the 1775's - yes we dressed, ate and camped in a tent. Then we visited Glenn and Pat in Huntsville. A vacation is a good thing - I should do it more often.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    I am alive and well. I just got back from a couple weeks vacation in the 1775's - yes we dressed, ate and camped in a tent. Then we visited Glenn and Pat in Huntsville. A vacation is a good thing - I should do it more often.
    that's so cool. me and my family love camping so much. we used to go camping 3x a year. but now that my daughter is in college we never have time anymore. we need a break from our demanding sewing machines welcome back.

Blog Entries
    Hi again Miriam and Phil, Glad you got home safely. We did have fun although very cold.
    Skip
    Glenn W. Cleveland