Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 51 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 41 50 51 52 61 101 151 551 1051 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kapatt
    JC wrote: "I have two of the 201 machines and I LOVE them to sew on."

That sounds great. If you don't mind, I have a couple of questions to ask you.
    Does the 201 take a regular needle that you can buy at the store, or do you have to special order them?

What class of bobbins do they use?

I would like to have a small machine to turn into a handcrank and I have been trying to decide between a 99 and a 201. With the 99, I can use the class 66 bobbins and a regular needle. Since I already have other machines that use the 66, I can see how that would be a plus for me but I've heard great things about the 201 and it would be nice to have it.
    Yes, it will take a readily available needle and bobbins. It uses the class 66 bobbins and a 15 x 1 needle, which is the standard needle with one flat side and rounded on the other.

Blog Entries
    Thank you! laughing....I just added the 201 to my list "sewing machines to hunt for". :lol:

I'm sorry if this question was already posted, I havent had time to read all of this and I have to get in the garden. I just got a White FR221071, and I totally love it, but its SO dirty! What would I use to clean it that would be safe. For both the wooden cabnit and the machine? Thank you so much in advance!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
    I'm sorry if this question was already posted, I havent had time to read all of this and I have to get in the garden. I just got a White FR221071, and I totally love it, but its SO dirty! What would I use to clean it that would be safe. For both the wooden cabnit and the machine? Thank you so much in advance!
    Truth be known it has been asked a few times but it would take a week or so to find it!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

For the machine I would use a Go Jo for the machines finish, just make sure it is the non pumice kind. The wood I am not sure of. I am going to use the Fenmans elixir for my bentwood case but you have to make it up from about 5 or 6 chemicals yourself and the cost is around $60 for the ingredients. But it works wonders on the wood!!

Maybe Charlee or some one else in here can steer us to something more economical and works really well.

But here is a link to one of my tutes on cleaning a machine that you can apply to yours.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-45983-1.htm

Billy

JC you have some beautiful machines. Glad you stopped by the shop.

Billy, I go to Japan a couple times a year for work. With the internet you probably don't have to go there. I don't get alot of free time unless I stay for a quilt show, but if you would like me to try and stop by to get info. let me know and I can see what I can do.

I used murphy's oil soap to clean my cabinet. just mix it up with some water and rub it down and then dry with a soft cloth. It will get all the dirt and crud off. Then the Formby's refinisher to make it look all nice. HTH! the machine I just soaked in Liquid Wrench (my decals were shot though) and cleaned it with that.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by quilt addict

Billy, I go to Japan a couple times a year for work. With the internet you probably don't have to go there. I don't get alot of free time unless I stay for a quilt show, but if you would like me to try and stop by to get info. let me know and I can see what I can do.
    Sweet I might just take you up on that one Lisa. I would love to go there sometime myself but there are so many places I want to go before I fall off the face of the earth its going to be tough to make all of them. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thats why I am buying this bike and taking off for a month to ride across the country that will eliminate one thing off the ole' "Bucket List". The UK and Australia is the next two to come off.

You know I am coming out there to go shopping with you "Dumptser Style"!! So if you see this pull up in your driveway then its me!!!!

Billy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Murphy's Oil Soap is WONDERFUL stuff! :) Ginnie already gave the way it should be used...just make sure to rub it dry, so that no water is standing anywhere on the wood. :)

I use Homer's Furniture Restorer. It's great stuff, just keep in mind that it's basically a stripper with stain in it...so it goes on, and comes right back off! Don't let it sit "wet" for long periods of time... and then finish with Homer's Beeswax with Orange Oil...give it a generous coat, and walk away...wait at least 20 minutes before wiping and buffing...and I usually put it on just before I go to bed and let it sit overnight, then buff in the morning.

If you HAVE to totally strip a piece, (try not to...you'll never recapture that finish) then there are tutorials all over the web as to how to go about it...but check the tutes on Needlebar first... :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Quote Originally Posted by quilt addict

Sweet I might just take you up on that one Lisa. I would love to go there sometime myself but there are so many places I want to go before I fall off the face of the earth its going to be tough to make all of them. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thats why I am buying this bike and taking off for a month to ride across the country that will eliminate one thing off the ole' "Bucket List". The UK and Australia is the next two to come off.

You know I am coming out there to go shopping with you "Dumptser Style"!! So if you see this pull up in your driveway then its me!!!!

Billy
    Uh....Billy? How you gonna fit a treadle on that?? :lol:

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JCquilts
    OK Billy, sorry to be a bother, but I havent had anyone to share and talk old sewing machines with in such a long time..

I really want to know about the little black one I bought at the auction today with the weird serial number...

and

I also have an old Singer that was used in a factory. So it is in a Singer factory table with a huge moter mounted on the frame, not the machine. I would really like to convert this to a domestic sized motor so I can use it. The big industrial motor is also a Singer. I went to an auction where they were closing a childrens clothing factory and could only buy one of the machines. So this one was my choice. The reason was that the table, machine and motor were all made by Singer AND it had a binding foot attached. I had never seen one of those.. I have the small binding foot for the domestic machines, but this one is much meatier. So, what do you think? Can I convert it? And if so, what should I do with that BIG motor? Is there any market for it?

Poke, poke, poke, bother, bother, bother, I know I used to do that to my brother all the time when we were kids.. Thanks in advance.
    OK, Im adding pictures to this one so's you can see what I mean. It is a Singer 95-30. See that big ole motor. and the three foot pedals,, I guess it has a clutch....

the machine fits into that hole in the top, I had to take it out to lighten the load.. Even for my Son, this one is HEAVY...
    It takes cone thread.. that little cone thing is where you put it.. then there is a long pole that goes in the corner that the thread feeds through before it goes to the machine..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    I am not even going to try, thats what the USPS is for!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

But I imagine a few of you in here would fit nicely on the rear fender!! ;) ;) ;)

Billy

Blog Entries
    I am not even going to try, thats what the USPS is for!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

But I imagine a few of you in here would fit nicely on the rear fender!! ;) ;) ;)

Billy
    LMAO! And that pretty lil' redhead (?) you live with would make sure we fell off! ;) :lol:

Banned
    Poke, poke, poke, bother, bother, bother, I know I used to do that to my brother all the time when we were kids..

OK, Im adding pictures to this one so's you can see what I mean. It is a Singer 95-30. See that big ole motor. and the three foot pedals,, I guess it has a clutch....

the machine fits into that hole in the top, I had to take it out to lighten the load.. Even for my Son, this one is HEAVY...
    It takes cone thread.. that little cone thing is where you put it.. then there is a long pole that goes in the corner that the thread feeds through before it goes to the machine..
    Geesh thats a behemoth!!!

I am wondering what it was used for originally, sewing blankets or something like that? most of the industrials were made for a specific job in mind. its just folks like us that repurpose the machines to fit our needs. We are really hot rodders of the sewing machine!!!

I do not think it would be a huge deal to convert the machine but it will take some figuring on how to power it. You could find a pulley the right width for a treadle belt or a smaller motor, but with only 3000 made on that run in 1935 that makes it a low production allotment.

Nice score!!!!

Billy

I couldn't find Homers here so went with the Formbys. It's worked really good. the cabinet is lighter than it used to be but looks good.

Banned
    Poke, poke, poke, bother, bother, bother, I know I used to do that to my brother all the time when we were kids..

Geesh thats a behemoth!!!

I am wondering what it was used for originally, sewing blankets or something like that? most of the industrials were made for a specific job in mind. its just folks like us that repurpose the machines to fit our needs. We are really hot rodders of the sewing machine!!!

I do not think it would be a huge deal to convert the machine but it will take some figuring on how to power it. You could find a pulley the right width for a treadle belt or a smaller motor, but with only 3000 made on that run in 1935 that makes it a low production allotment.

Nice score!!!!

Billy
    Billy, this was from a childrens clothing factory and they had it set up to put double fold binding on to neck and sleeve facings. That attachment takes a roll of precut binding, double folds it and stitches it in place all at one time. The other attachment takes a different width of binding fabric. I also got a box of 50 needles and a few rolls of the precut binding. I was hoping to make use of it putting bindings on quilts.. Not sure if that will work though as turning corners will be a challenge.

Banned
    Billy, this was from a childrens clothing factory and they had it set up to put double fold binding on to neck and sleeve facings. That attachment takes a roll of precut binding, double folds it and stitches it in place all at one time. The other attachment takes a different width of binding fabric. I also got a box of 50 needles and a few rolls of the precut binding. I was hoping to make use of it putting bindings on quilts.. Not sure if that will work though as turning corners will be a challenge.
    Oh that would be sooooo nice!!!! With it not powered by the high speed motor you might be able to pull it off.

Billy

I recently purchased two haven't used my treadle yet it is a redeye 66-1 I am all new to vintage machines. my other one is solid black and from the 50's. I want to start using both of them to make quilts. I know they require alot of oiling since they get rusty when they are so old. So I put a few drops into the motor mistake now it smokes. I learned the hard way. Looking forward to learning from you. Thanks again.

Banned
    LMAO! And that pretty lil' redhead (?) you live with would make sure we fell off! ;) :lol:
    Sometimes you really scare me.......:lol: :lol: :lol:

Billy

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by anglgrl
    I recently purchased two haven't used my treadle yet it is a redeye 66-1 I am all new to vintage machines. my other one is solid black and from the 50's. I want to start using both of them to make quilts. I know they require alot of oiling since they get rusty when they are so old. So I put a few drops into the motor mistake now it smokes. I learned the hard way. Looking forward to learning from you. Thanks again.
    Opps not good....... :oops: :oops: :oops:

But welcome to the Shop!!! Be sure to post photos of your machines and I do not think the motor is hurt. You might need to take it off and flip it upside down and see if you can drain the excess off, but just running it might do the trick also!! Just have the window open when you do it so you do not smoke the place up. :-D

Billy

Blog Entries
    Sometimes you really scare me.......:lol: :lol: :lol:

Billy
    ~insert twilight zone music here~ Why is that M'friend? :twisted:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by anglgrl
    Opps not good....... :oops: :oops: :oops:

But welcome to the Shop!!! Be sure to post photos of your machines and I do not think the motor is hurt. You might need to take it off and flip it upside down and see if you can drain the excess off, but just running it might do the trick also!! Just have the window open when you do it so you do not smoke the place up. :-D

Billy
    No worries...you don't want to do it on a regular basis to be sure, (it can cause the motor to burn out) but disengage the clutch (as if to wind the bobbin) and then run it hell-bent-for-leather...it's going to smoke, but burn that extra oil out...
    You should only need one drop of oil per port on the motor...and only every six months to a year...this from the guy that refused to sell me a new motor for my Kenmore because he said I didn't need one yet...told me that it was going to smoke some, but unless it actually lost power and didn't run anymore, then it was fine to use. (even tho it smoked!)

I am the fortunate owner of a 1926 Bronze White Rotary in the Mt. Vernon cabinet, also have the black version with no cabinet,a Standard treadle and I will soon be getting Grandma's Domestic Vertical Feed. I do not know much about the verticle feed yet, peeped in the drawers and they are full of stuff, am hoping for a manual.

FEATHERWEIGHTS are still among us.
    You just have to be at the right place at the right time. Our daughter was at a church sponsored flea market yesterday and this is what she brought home. It is a 1964 White featherweight--used very little, very clean, runs well, sews perfectly and gorgeous. Take a look. Ruth

And the price $10.00
    Name:  Attachment-72179.jpe
Views: 138
Size:  44.8 KB

Blog Entries
    Nice! I'm still looking for a FW that I don't have to pay a fortune for...I'm fairly sure there's one out there for me, I just have to be patient! :)

Oh, my gosh, now THATS my dream machine, LOL! After the treadle, I really love the feather weights....but I dont have a fortune either,so I will keep on yard saling and maybe get lucky like your daughter. WOW!!!!!
    Thanks for the advice on cleaning my machine, I have Murphy oil soap here too, just dont want to wreck anything!

Page 51 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 41 50 51 52 61 101 151 551 1051 ... LastLast