Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-06-2010, 07:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Charlee
~laffin~ We must have been posting at the same time!
What do they say about great minds Charlee........ :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I have to go right outside of Nashville to drop off a pair of cars to the upholstery shop so I will be checking in later on. I called the guy yesterday and he told me he was not even bothered by the water. Which is REAL good because I am on a schedule and I can not miss the deadline. So the truck and 40' enclosed trailer is loaded and ready to go!!

Billy
Old 05-06-2010, 07:16 AM

Thanks for posting the pic of the Liquid Gold. I have been to six stores in the last few days trying to find the liquid or pourable product. This can looks like the airosole can so I might have seen it and didn't realize it! I was looking for something more like the oil in a container (ie; Old English). I'm off to Lowe's today to try one more place. I even called Wall Mart and Bi Mart and they didn't have it! I appreciate all your input.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Wine Woman
This can looks like the aerosol can so I might have seen it and didn't realize it!
I know what you mean, they changed the packaging from the last time I bought it 6 or so years ago.:lol: :lol: :lol: It took me 10 minutes to figure out that I was looking at it. :roll:

Oh well I am going to put some miles behind me and hopefully I will not have to take any detours because of the flooding damage!!

Billy
Old 05-06-2010, 08:39 AM

Hello again,
This is getting to be an obsession...lol. I was running some errands this morning and went past a thrift shop I had never been to before. I found 2 machines that needed a new home. I want to practice on them. One was a Kenmore in a cabinet 158.342 that dates to 1963, not too old but a year older than my son. The other was an Emerson which I can't find anything on. The serial # is A106531. A Singer clone?? The badge says Deluxe, "the machine that satisfies" and made in Japan. On the top of the head it says Emerson Sewing Machine Company. And the foot control is pink which may or may not be original. It runs like a racehorse but is noisy..so definitely needs cleaning and oiling. I got a real deal of only 20 for both of them.
BYW, would you happen to know anyone in the Pensacola area who is familiar with vintage machines? I've been cleaning my 15-91 but now I don't remember how to put back the motor and light assembly. Also, I would like someone to take a look at the motor itself. Electrical stuff scares me silly! Can you tell you are dealing with a technical newbie lol
Attached Thumbnails attachment-47674.jpe  
Old 05-06-2010, 10:21 AM

Thanks Charlee and Billy. I found the manual for my machine on the site you gave to me.
Charlee, my baby is not new. She has been in my family for years. This was passed down to me from my Mother after she died. I can't wait to get your pics and instructions Billy.
Are you going to include where to get the veneer and how to apply this? I will be so happy if I can get this up and running. Still would like to know where to get the belt for the machine. Can you still buy needles for this machine. I was excited to see that the machine is 94 years old. My mom did not have the manual or other attachments for this machine. We have named the machine "Granny". I am one happy camper.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by Debo
Billy/Charlee

Do either of you know anything about a 1917 Western Electric vintage machine? It has the rounded wooden case like Billy's new Singer.
Debo I have never seen one in person but I know they were good machines!! They were a badged machine and more than likely yours was made by Eldridge/National.

Billy
I will send pictures when I receive it. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:14 PM

I have been reading about the old and antique sewing machines and got curious about mine. I have had a singer machine in my storage building for a long time. In my mind I feel it was bought new by my grandmother in the early 1950's but the serial number doesn't indicate that.

It is a Singer SigZag Model 457, electric, and says Stylist on the front. The serial number is R459311 or B459311, we can't tell for sure, but both these numbers indicate they were made in the early 1900's. The R number says July-Dec
1902 and the B number says July 25, 1904 Montreal.

Because you all have been talking about old machines I think I will take this to the shop and see if they can get it running.

The treadle machine is at my daughters. I last used it to hem jeans 4 or 5 years ago and the belt broke. I could not easily locate a belt so I just haven't thought of it since then. Will see about finding a belt for it now.

If anyone can help me date this I sure would appreciate it.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Pollyv9
I have been reading about the old and antique sewing machines and got curious about mine. I have had a singer machine in my storage building for a long time. In my mind I feel it was bought new by my grandmother in the early 1950's but the serial number doesn't indicate that.

It is a Singer SigZag Model 457, electric, and says Stylist on the front. The serial number is R459311 or B459311, we can't tell for sure, but both these numbers indicate they were made in the early 1900's. The R number says July-Dec
1902 and the B number says July 25, 1904 Montreal.

Because you all have been talking about old machines I think I will take this to the shop and see if they can get it running.

The treadle machine is at my daughters. I last used it to hem jeans 4 or 5 years ago and the belt broke. I could not easily locate a belt so I just haven't thought of it since then. Will see about finding a belt for it now.

If anyone can help me date this I sure would appreciate it.
You can use nearly anything for a belt! I know of one woman that broke her belt, and in a pinch, cut a pair of pantyhose to use! I have a machine that has a leather bootlace joined by a bent wire for a belt (which is pretty much all the treadle belts are!) :)

Polly, I just looked for a pic of the Stylist 457...that machine is made in the 50's or 60's at best. It looks like a machine my sis has, and she bought hers at the San Diego County Fair in 1962.

Does your machine look like this one?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]48103[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-48103.jpe  
Old 05-06-2010, 03:36 PM

Yes, it looks exactly like that! This machine belonged to my grandmother and I thought she bought it when I was much younger than 12. Why can't I find it with the serial number that is on it, do you know?
Old 05-06-2010, 03:36 PM

Yes, it looks exactly like that! This machine belonged to my grandmother and I thought she bought it when I was much younger than 12. Why can't I find it with the serial number that is on it, do you know?