Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-03-2010, 08:59 PM

Me again. This is what I know about a White Rotary Electric I am considering. It's a cast iron 1940's White Rotary Sewing Machine in cabinet, electric, ... The only number the owner could find on it was 9801-3 on the very bottom of machine. It was patented in 1927. The motor is 65 watts, 110 volts.

There must be a serial number which this person cannot locate. If anyone knows anything about this I would appreciate hearing from you. Thank you.

:shock: :shock:
Old 05-04-2010, 06:10 AM

Billi is $75 too much to pay for one just like the one you have pictured for the tutorial? the 1920 singer in the bentwood box
Old 05-04-2010, 06:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Me again. This is what I know about a White Rotary Electric I am considering. It's a cast iron 1940's White Rotary Sewing Machine in cabinet, electric, ... The only number the owner could find on it was 9801-3 on the very bottom of machine. It was patented in 1927. The motor is 65 watts, 110 volts.

There must be a serial number which this person cannot locate. If anyone knows anything about this I would appreciate hearing from you. Thank you.

:shock: :shock:
I think the serial is on the bobbin plate but I might be mistaken. Maybe one of our fellow collectors in the shop will know where to find it for you, and how to date it.

Billy
Old 05-04-2010, 07:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mickey
Billi is $75 too much to pay for one just like the one you have pictured for the tutorial? the 1920 singer in the bentwood box
If it is in good condition I say go for it! Like Charlee says talk them down but if it has the knee bar and all of the accessories then it is a great deal. Just be careful about picking it up by the handle always support it under the bottom. Sometimes the handle will pull off of the case and then you have a broken machine!!

Billy
Old 05-04-2010, 07:10 AM

Just poppin in before studying more for final exams tom.

Wow, so if I can get my hands on one little ole vintage like the ones of my dreams, and it will follow me home?
I reallly want to find some that need TLC and try my hand at it. Never afraid to get down and dirty. My pops was a mechanic so taught me a bit about machines. Used to fix my own bikes, mowers, and such.
Can't wait to see what you do with the bad spot Billy. Such talent.
I saw a chain stitch machine recently on e-bay and wondered what the heck it was. Hmmm.
Gotta go. Breakfast long over and time to study. Have a good one all.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:26 AM

It has a knee bar? Where? and what accessories should it have?
Old 05-04-2010, 07:29 AM

Billy, thanks for the reply on the white rotary.

I have another question on cleaning. You have mentioined to use kerosene for gooey gunky stuff on the metal parts... will another non abrasive cleaner work also or is there a certain reason why you say to use kerosene?
Old 05-04-2010, 07:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mickey
It has a knee bar? Where? and what accessories should it have?
That is how it operates, The knee bar stores in the lid and you stick it in the hole of the base and that is how you control the speed of the machine!

Billy
Old 05-04-2010, 07:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Charlee
Pretty baby Billy!!

I got Jenny (the Singer 201-2) running today...still need to get some grease for the motor, but other than that she hums right along! :)
You go Charlee!!!! The 201 is one of the quietest machines Singer ever made. Like I said I am still looking for a 201K and will not give up until I have one in my paws!!!

Billy
Old 05-04-2010, 07:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Billy, thanks for the reply on the white rotary.

I have another question on cleaning. You have mentioined to use kerosene for gooey gunky stuff on the metal parts... will another non abrasive cleaner work also or is there a certain reason why you say to use kerosene?
Kerosene has to properties to it that makes it the best cleaner. The first one is that Kerosene will not harm the finish if it gets on there. Secondly it not only cleans it also penetrates and it is oily so it is lubricating while it penetrates and cleans.

Billy