Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 461 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 361 411 451 460 461 462 471 511 561 961 1461 ... LastLast
Results 11,501 to 11,525 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

  1. #11501

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19
    Hi Billy

    I read in a blog yesterday, that you know how to convert, the gear driven motor singer models, 15-91 and the 201-2, both machines I own. I I have two spare balancing wheels with the fiber gear installed. But in the event the motor burns, or shorts out, I understand I am out of the sewing business with those potted motor machines. Have you a way to install a balancing wheel from an other 15 series or 201 series machines that uses the belt driving motors?

    Vince J. arcuri

  2. #11502

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    oregon
    Posts
    32
    Im new to the group and just love this shop. So much information and the machines pictured are awesome. I have several of the vintage machines and hope to put pictures up soon of my favorites. Right now I am in a transition stage of doing anything with them due to the weather. So I will keep lurking and enjoying the fruits of others in the mean time. Great shop, thanks Billy for starting it and giving us an opportunity to learn and brag about our babies!
    Lena

  3. #11503
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    Quote Originally Posted by vincea51
    Hi Billy

    I read in a blog yesterday, that you know how to convert, the gear driven motor singer models, 15-91 and the 201-2, both machines I own. I I have two spare balancing wheels with the fiber gear installed. But in the event the motor burns, or shorts out, I understand I am out of the sewing business with those potted motor machines. Have you a way to install a balancing wheel from an other 15 series or 201 series machines that uses the belt driving motors?

    Vince J. arcuri
    Hey there and welcome to the Shop!!!

    Hmmmm the old "lets take the potted motor off and use a regular motor trick" I see! Yes there is a member here that has done it before and hopefully they will read this. (I cant remember who did this, if I did I would tell you who and let you PM them)

    It is my understanding that it is really easy and I think it takes a handwheel from a 27 (longer shank) to make it work. If I had one of those machines here right now I would try and to do it just to see what it does take, but I dont.


    Billy

  4. #11504

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19
    Billy
    Thanks that's good enough. I'll research the model 27 lead. ...

    Vince

  5. #11505
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    Quote Originally Posted by ohsewvintage
    Im new to the group and just love this shop. So much information and the machines pictured are awesome. I have several of the vintage machines and hope to put pictures up soon of my favorites. Right now I am in a transition stage of doing anything with them due to the weather. So I will keep lurking and enjoying the fruits of others in the mean time. Great shop, thanks Billy for starting it and giving us an opportunity to learn and brag about our babies!
    Lena
    I am glad that you found us!!! Just come on in and make yourself comfortable and have some fun.

    So what machines do you have and do you use them to make quilts with or just collect?


    Billy

  6. #11506
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    Quote Originally Posted by vincea51
    But in the event the motor burns, or shorts out, I understand I am out of the sewing business with those potted motor machines. Have you a way to install a balancing wheel from an other 15 series or 201 series machines that uses the belt driving motors?

    Vince J. arcuri
    You know that I have a guy that rebuilds the potted motors if yours ever crap out. All it is usually is the brushes are worn and the armature needs deglazing.

    Billy

  7. #11507
    Power Poster dreamer2009's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    WHERE THE SUN ALWAYS SHINES
    Posts
    10,151
    Blog Entries
    7
    Billy this is what I see...
    Attached Images Attached Images

  8. #11508
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamer2009
    Billy this is what I see...
    PM sent!!

    Billy

  9. #11509
    Super Member Miz Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    1,222
    Quote Originally Posted by hootnannie
    Happy Birthday Miz Johnny... and thank you for all you give to us!!
    Hmn--how did you know this? Am I being stalked by a crazed sewing machine collector???? If so, could you please leave me bobbins instead of roses? Thanks.

  10. #11510
    Super Member Miz Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    1,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandmother23
    http://batonrouge.craigslist.org/hsh/2239564133.html

    Any thoughts?

    And shame on me for not posting the last machine I picked up last month!! :roll: :roll: :oops:
    Nice machine, but far too much money. You can buy the extension for about $30, and that's what's most special about this machine.

  11. #11511
    Super Member Miz Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    1,222
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Quote Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
    I am betting your New Home takes a 20 x 1 needle.
    Miz Johnny isn't the 20x1 a Boye # 4?

    Nancy
    Could be, I'd have to look. But a 20 x 1 needle is cheaper than buying Boye tubes!!

  12. #11512
    Super Member Miz Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    1,222
    Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    Quote Originally Posted by tomilu
    But I was a hell of a lot younger then like in my early 30's and I am 44 now.........

    Billy
    Geez!!! All of my kids are older than you!!! :roll:
    ditto on the kids...Mine are too!!! :thumbup:[/quote]

    Also, most of my clothes.

  13. #11513
    Super Member Miz Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    1,222
    Quote Originally Posted by ssgramma
    Happy Birthday Miz Johnny!

    Anyone recognize this decal?

    http://nashville.craigslist.org/atq/2243988318.html
    It's a badged Japanese class 15, sold by Montgomery Wards. My mom had one, and it sewed beautifully!

  14. #11514

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19
    I love machines, and the old, "strong and heavy" type. I enjoy the sound of close tolerance machines in action. You could say I sew very little, very little. It's easier than collecting old cars.

    I do want to make some quilts, I have been purchasing different printed fabrics with art for children and myself, Plane's train's fishing, machines, etc I should get a book on quilting. Perhaps that is a project I can do a little at a time, leaving the quilt in work in a wicker basket for aesthetics.

    Vince

  15. #11515
    Super Member Miz Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    1,222
    Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    Happy Birthday Miz Johnny, I share your birthday with you.
    Have a great day!!!
    Well, then, we should party! Happy birthday to you, too!! I'm still having a hard time figuring this out--did I have to list my birthday when I joined the board??

    I am spending the day in a vain attempt to clean my bedroom. (There are 5 full-sized machines and two portables in there, in addition to enough books and magazines to last the rest of my life.) So far, the only big surprise I have found is my youngest daughter's Christmas money from about 10 or 15 years ago. She will be happy. :-P

  16. #11516
    Senior Member olebat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    809
    Blog Entries
    10
    Billy, Did you pick up your Domestic? Got a reading on her age yet?

  17. #11517

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    oregon
    Posts
    32
    I have everything from handcranks to electric, dating from the 1800's to the 1960's. I am absolutely facinated by the beauty and mechanics of these machines and the history and technology that created them. I also have tons of attachments and collect just about everything I can find that are tools, information and related to them. As you can see, I have become addicted to this passion. I have learned to clean, adjust and work on the machines along with sewing on them. I love to treadle but have to do it in small increments due to a bad back. I quilt and have made them on treadles and a 301. I have also participated in quilt block exchanges and done the blocks on handcranks. Although I use more modern machines also, the vintage ones are my favorites and the ones I prefer most.
    Lena

  18. #11518
    Super Member featherweight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Westminster, Co
    Posts
    2,701
    Quote Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
    Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    Quote Originally Posted by tomilu
    But I was a hell of a lot younger then like in my early 30's and I am 44 now.........

    Billy
    Geez!!! All of my kids are older than you!!! :roll:
    ditto on the kids...Mine are too!!! :thumbup:
    Also, most of my clothes.[/quote]

    RLMAO!!!!! :D :-D :lol:

  19. #11519
    Super Member featherweight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Westminster, Co
    Posts
    2,701
    Quote Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
    Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    Happy Birthday Miz Johnny, I share your birthday with you.
    Have a great day!!!
    Well, then, we should party! Happy birthday to you, too!! I'm still having a hard time figuring this out--did I have to list my birthday when I joined the board??

    I am spending the day in a vain attempt to clean my bedroom. (There are 5 full-sized machines and two portables in there, in addition to enough books and magazines to last the rest of my life.) So far, the only big surprise I have found is my youngest daughter's Christmas money from about 10 or 15 years ago. She will be happy. :-P
    Yes, MizJohnny, We let the cat out of the box when we filled our profile out... :oops:

  20. #11520
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    Quote Originally Posted by olebat
    Billy, Did you pick up your Domestic? Got a reading on her age yet?
    Yes I have it and its around 1882. I still need to take some photos of it but I will say I am really liking the sturdiness of the treadle. The drawers ride on cast iron trays and are not flimsy like the Singer drawer packs.

    But it came with all of the accessories and I need to do the complete cleaning and possibly refinish the cabinet and the coffin top. But it is in pieces and the irons will be sandblasted and painted first.

    Billy

  21. #11521
    JaneK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    chicago suburbs
    Posts
    103
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneK
    ,

    different belts for white featherweights? My search seems to favor the same belt for both machines? Thanks! Jane - Will get some photos up soon!
    Hello,
    As promised I'm posting some pics of my 2 new featherweights. The black one, 1945 is up and running with a beautiful stitch after the oil/heat treatment. Had to oil 3 times and let it sit overnight then added the hairdryer to the mix! The white one is apart, undergoing it's oil/heat applications. I did get new belts at my local sewing machine store..just asked for the 17.5 inch belt for the singer 221, and got them easily and inexpensively. So the white and black models can use the same belts as replacements! So far , sew good! I will post some photos of the 319 I got at the estate sale last week next.
    Jane
    Attached Images Attached Images


  22. #11522
    JaneK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    chicago suburbs
    Posts
    103
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneK
    So far , sew good! I will post some photos of the 319 I got at the estate sale last week next.
    Jane
    Here is the 319W. I 've been late to post photos of this as I've been busy playing with it! I just love, love, love this machine. It sews beautifully and came with all the attachments, instructions and all the cams for the decorative stitches. Also came in a trapezoid case, that seems to go with my 301's, at least that's where I see them the most frequently. You guys are correct, sometimes the machines find you! I'm a happy gal!
    Jane
    Attached Images Attached Images



  23. #11523
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneK
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneK
    So far , sew good! I will post some photos of the 319 I got at the estate sale last week next.
    Jane
    Here is the 319W. I 've been late to post photos of this as I've been busy playing with it! I just love, love, love this machine. It sews beautifully and came with all the attachments, instructions and all the cams for the decorative stitches. Also came in a trapezoid case, that seems to go with my 301's, at least that's where I see them the most frequently. You guys are correct, sometimes the machines find you! I'm a happy gal!
    Jane
    I love this machine!! It is the more rare Black color so that even adds to the appeal. This is one Electric that I would keep in my collection if I found one!!

    Billy

  24. #11524
    Super Member purplefiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Round Rock,Texas
    Posts
    6,152
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamer2009
    Billy this is what I see...
    do we allow plastic wonders(aka: modern machines) on this board? :lol:

  25. #11525
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneK
    As promised I'm posting some pics of my 2 new featherweights. The black one, 1945 is up and running with a beautiful stitch after the oil/heat treatment. Had to oil 3 times and let it sit overnight then added the hairdryer to the mix! The white one is apart, undergoing it's oil/heat applications. I did get new belts at my local sewing machine store..just asked for the 17.5 inch belt for the singer 221, and got them easily and inexpensively. So the white and black models can use the same belts as replacements! So far , sew good! I will post some photos of the 319 I got at the estate sale last week next.
    Jane
    Congratulations Jane! What year is the white FW? So far everyone I know with a white FW has a 1964 model, including me? I am curious about the year of yours?

    Nancy

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.