Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-04-2011, 01:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by luv2learn
Billy, re: the cleaning process, I have removed my parts, haven't cleaned w/kerosene yet, but started using the non-pumice goop on the machine. . . No matter how much or how many times I apply and wipe off, there is still a tacky/sticky feel to the finish. . . is that just because I haven't gotten through all the layers of grime yet? will it eventually be smoothe without that tackiness? Would the kerosene cut that or what? thanx luv2learn
Okay the shellac maybe getting a little soft on you. I would wipe off what you have on the machine real good ant let it sit for a while and see if it straightens out. If it does we know the problem. Do not get the kerosene on the finish if you can keep from it. I put a pan on the bed under the arm to catch the drippings from me brushing the parts behind the faceplate. The thing about kerosene is it will not rape the finish off if you get a splash on the machine. But do not leave it on for any length of time.

Billy
Old 02-04-2011, 01:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BZ quilting
Billy, maybe I am crazy, but your Eldredge doesn't have the knob either, maybe there wasn't a knob on these old machines to turn so your needle doesn't go up and down when you load a bobbin??????
Nope the bobbin winder just pops out to hit the belt and you go crazy winding it!!

Billy
Old 02-04-2011, 01:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by quilt addict
Billy, your new Eldridge is going to be beautiful when you are done with it. Congratulations
Hey there Lisa!!!!

I see that you have your avatar quilt done and it is beautiful!!!! Thanks for the complement I hope it will turn out good after I redo the cabinet and treadle. The decals are so fragile on this machine I will be nervous while I am cleaning them. But I hope it come out as nice as I think it will.

Billy
Old 02-04-2011, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Originally Posted by BZ quilting
Billy, maybe I am crazy, but your Eldredge doesn't have the knob either, maybe there wasn't a knob on these old machines to turn so your needle doesn't go up and down when you load a bobbin??????
Some machines don't have a clutch knob (or stop motion screw) on the handwheel, instead there may be a lever, or sometimes they have a much smaller knob. If you can post a picture of your handwheel area, we might be able to tell you where it is, or tell us what machine you have and someone who has the same machine can tell you.
It is just like the one Billy just got. Look on the handwheel in his pictures, see where it looks like one would be screwed in?
Old 02-04-2011, 02:17 PM

I would NOT put anything branded "Made in the People's Republic of China" :evil: on one of my Singers! UGH.[/quote]

LOL... I wonder if now is the time to experiment with either purposefully cleaning off the decals, or painting over them. At least the HC works great. I bet the granddaughters don't care a bit... !!![/quote]

Kwendt,
The granddaughters will be quite happy. I don't know if I'm up to doing anything with the decals, asthma and smelly chemicals are a bad idea.

Sewbizgirl,
The original Singer hand cranks are beyond my budget unfortunately. I love the original hand crank.
Sharon W.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by purplefiend
I would NOT put anything branded "Made in the People's Republic of China" :evil: on one of my Singers! UGH.
The way I look at it if your happy with it and it does the job you wanted it to do then it is all good!

But if anyone out there has the Singer 15CL that would be perfect for the machine seeing it is made by contract in China!! :thumbup:

Billy
Old 02-04-2011, 02:21 PM

[vintagemotif]
I wouldn't clean off those decals on the HC because it is part of the sewing machine HISTORY.

Purplefiend I love your HC. I love it on your Singer. I love it because it is a Frankenmachine! A mutt! and mutts are the sweetest dogs out there. Where did you buy that HC? I want one.
I bought it from Cindy Peters. She's on Ebay and you can also email her @ [email protected] She is a great resource for parts.
Sharon W.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Some machines don't have a clutch knob (or stop motion screw) on the handwheel
Ok - so now that I know what it is called I can ask...

What do you do when the clutch knob no longer stops the handwheel when winding a bobbin. My Featherweight has done this for years. Now my 403 is starting to do it. What is the fix?
Old 02-04-2011, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by sharoney
I have a question- I recently bought a 1934 Singer 15 91 from ebay. I just love free motion quilting on this machine because it's very forgiving! But I just have it sitting on a table, and it really needs to be sitting flush in a cabinet. My question is, do most of the old sewing machine cabinets have a standard opening size, or is it going to be difficult for me to find one that fits my machine? What about just finding an old table and cutting a hole in the top?

Thanks
Sharoney
I'm up here in the Austin area and have a cabinet for sale that would work with your machine.
Sharon W.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
[vintagemotif]
I wouldn't clean off those decals on the HC because it is part of the sewing machine HISTORY.

Purplefiend I love your HC. I love it on your Singer. I love it because it is a Frankenmachine! A mutt! and mutts are the sweetest dogs out there. Where did you buy that HC? I want one.
I bought it from Cindy Peters. She's on Ebay and you can also email her @ [email protected] She is a great resource for parts.
Sharon W.
Thank you Sharon!