Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-19-2011, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by grannysewer
Question for Glenn, Can I glue the covering of my featherweight case back on? And what kind of glue would I use? Thanks
Are you talking about the original covering that is loose are a new covering? Yes you can but the old glue must be removed with acetone first. Glue will not stick to old dirty glue. You can use a good contact cement very thin or a spray contact glue.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
I'm way behind, so if this has been answered, I apologize. This is a National Mode VB-TT (3), manufactured after the National company was formed from the old Eldredge and June companies. The company was formed in the early 1890's, so your machine was produced after that.

It's probably also been said already (but I'll say it again, just in case), it was made for the Marshall Field and Company store.
Miz Johnny, you are right on time. I hadn't gotten past the National and could not figure out the MF&Co.

Thank you so much! :D
Old 07-19-2011, 02:59 PM

Well, I visited my local old sewing machine guy today. He had a few things of interest... Sorry, I did not have time to get serial numbers. I will get pics next week when I go to retrieve one...

something his wife has been researching is a machine labeled "Haid & Neu", a treadle in a parlor cabinet (cabinet model Essen) The book was written in German, I think.

Another was a Singer - on the medallion was "Seidel & Naumann Dresser, Verbesserte Singer Hanmaschine" (my apologies if I spelled it wrong.) It is a hand crank from 1878, and not sure the country of origin.

The third was an Eldridge Special treadle in a parlor cabinet. (pre 1900)

I know a little about these, but will be doing more research before I get back there. If any of you have info, I'd appreciate knowing. Then I can decide if I should invest.

(These all came from two collectors who consign machines there.)
Old 07-19-2011, 03:56 PM

I just found this on Recent Topics of the board posted by noveltyjunkie. It's a link to free FM patterns. I am just learning to do that and these patterns can help me a lot.
http://www.patsythompsondesigns.com/free-downloads/
Old 07-19-2011, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
I just found this on Recent Topics of the board posted by noveltyjunkie. It's a link to free FM patterns. I am just learning to do that and these patterns can help me a lot.
http://www.patsythompsondesigns.com/free-downloads/
Also check out http://www.freemotionquilting.blogspot.com. That is where I learned most of what I know about FMQ.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by Charlee
Sharon is right, take off the plate that is covering the feed dogs. It's either for a buttonholer or a picot hemstitcher. You're also going to want at least a standard straight stitch presser foot.
so that's what the little plate is!!! - *I have one here somewhere...
The plate cover for the buttonholer is usually flat--this looks like a cover for darning or free motion. I could be wrong, too!!
Old 07-19-2011, 04:18 PM

I have one of the little Vesta machines. Cute as it can be, but I don't believe I've ever sewn on it.
Originally Posted by MarieM
Just thought I'd attach a few photos from a booth at our local quilt show this weekend. The business name is Feathers and Cranks. Her machines are all very nice and fully refurbished and have a 30 day warranty. Her prices reflect all the work that has gone into them but they are gorgeous. I really wanted the Vesta hand crank but my checkbook didn't have enough money in it.
I sewed on it and it was nice, went from 2 layers of cotton to 2 layers of leather without missing a beat (or skipping a stitch ;)
Old 07-19-2011, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by Phyllis nm
I found this today, I have never seen one before have you?

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/atq/2502367058.html
Actually, yes!! Someone gave me one very similar recently to give to my grandaughter who is taking fashion design in college. The doors were different, but the inside was nearly identical....and it certainly is NOT an antique!! LOL Some people's idea of what an antique is really is so so ..... well, I have no words!!! LOL LOL LOL
I remember wishing for one of those when they were first available. Now it would not hold my machines, let alone my stash.
:lol:
Old 07-19-2011, 04:45 PM

Sharon is right, take off the plate that is covering the feed dogs. It's either for a buttonholer or a picot hemstitcher. You're also going to want at least a standard straight stitch presser foot.
The plate cover for the buttonholer is usually flat--this looks like a cover for darning or free motion. I could be wrong, too!!
It *really* looks like the plate that came with my picot hemstitcher...that's why I mentioned that...

If it looks wicked, it IS!! That's a mighty sharp nail that hammers down to punch a hole in the fabric...the plate is to protect the needle plate and feed dogs.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]229087[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-229081.jpe  
Old 07-19-2011, 05:03 PM

You're correct! It's the embroidery and darning plate.