Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-09-2011, 06:35 PM

Anyone in the Brookline, MA area that may be interested in a two tone Singer 301? There is one listed on Craigslist for $100.00. It comes with the case (the one that looks like a suitcase). Here is the link:

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/for/2485920697.html

If I didn't already have several of them I would be running out to get it myself. It looks in really nice shape and they are easy to work on.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
OK it is edumaction time
here is an animation of sewing.
Those of you who need to time pay close attention to where the needle and the shuttle hook come together. It is how you do timing.
OK here is the big show:
http://home.howstuffworks.com/sewing-machine1.htm
any ???'s
there maybe a test some day...
It's interesting to see how the stitches are formed!

I have been enjoying treadling on my great-grandmother's Free No.5 today. I am making a disappearing 9 patch with 10" squares. I will post pictures when I am done with it.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
You are one lucky lady!! I'd like to see a picture of the cabinet of your Singer 15-88. Looks like one I just recently bought.

Texas Jan
Here you go! My 'go to' machine. He does it all, plus has reverse!

Nancy
Wow! That's a beauty! Did you finish the cabinet, yourself? It looks so nice and shiny.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by jtapp9
So, do you ever really get a perfect tension on the old machines? I have a black 301 that I LUV. I use it but the tension has always been a "tad" off. There is always a tiny bit showing either top or bottom. And my top tension will be awful if I do anything other than between 0-1

I have a tan 301 that i'm not so in love with. Doesn't sound the same as the black one and I just can't bond with it yet. I can NOT get the tension even remotely good on this one.
Recently I read (on one of the vintage machine Yahoo groups) that the perfect tension will have a bit of bobbin or top thread showing. Here is a link that has good directions for fixing your tension:

http://www.treadleon.net/sewingmachi...djustment.html

I've done this on my own 301 and it's pretty easy once you see how the tension knob works. BTW...I would love to see one of my machines done over in red, too.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:48 AM

Anyone looking for a near perfect treadle 'Red Eye', I think this might be it. Located in SW Michigan.

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/atq/2485297138.html

Forgot, also has perfect puzzle box.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by tomilu
Mornin' all. DH and I are headed out to pick up a Singer 66 in a bentwood case. Looks pretty good on CL, but he says needs new wire. But that's ok, because I'm going to take the head out of the case, convert to a HC and ship to Afghanistan to a soldier.
Tommie
Well, we got 2 machines instead of one. The Bentwood case is ok, but the machine is not a 66, but one of the 3/4 size elec. ones that needs the big knee bar. Having a senior moment, so don't remember which model it is. Plans are to convert that one as well to HC.
He had a 66 that was almost frozen and got that as well. Worked on it this afternoon and it should be ready to ship Monday to Afghan.
Tommie

Tommie
That would be a model 99 needing the knee bar. I have one just like that, and don't have the knee bar. I am going to put a hand crank on that one.
Thanks for the info. I think I shall convert this one as well. The wiring is shot. And that will give me a spare motor. DH says he can build me a knee bar, but he has lots of other stuff on his list. The 66 is ready except for putting the HC on and I really need another bobbin winder as the spring is soo weak on this one it allows the tire to rest on the wheel when it shouldn't. Thought I had a spare but it is for a 15.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by HisPatchwork
I bought another shuttle carrier today from a local sewing repairman for my Free No.5. I came home and put it on. After some adjusting and putting the needle in right, then adjusting the tension, I am sewing on my great-grandmother's treadle sewing machine! I am so happy! I am going to sew the first quilt {lap size} on it and give it to my dad. Come Monday, all three of my vintage machines will be in use! I will be sewing on the Free treadle, my 10 yr old DGD will be working on her disappearing 9 patch with my Singer treadle, and my 3 yr old DGD will cranking away on my SERATA hand crank machine. It will be a good day!
That is so cool! Having both DGD's sewing with you is priceless! I have had sooooo much fun with my GS's and GD's all sewing at the same time! Congratulations on getting those treadles all going and actually using them!

Nancy
Old 07-10-2011, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Here's the sewing box I got while I was junkin' on my days off... my MIL has one similar to it that belonged to William's grandma...
Charlee, that little sewing box is so cute! I also love the quilt top that you are making underneath the box!

Nancy
Old 07-10-2011, 05:03 AM

Mornin' all. DH and I are headed out to pick up a Singer 66 in a bentwood case. Looks pretty good on CL, but he says needs new wire. But that's ok, because I'm going to take the head out of the case, convert to a HC and ship to Afghanistan to a soldier.
Tommie
Tommie, that is wonderful! Do you have a particular soldier you know to send the machine to directly - someone who sews?

Nancy
Old 07-10-2011, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by lee231
Anyone looking for a near perfect treadle 'Red Eye', I think this might be it. Located in SW Michigan.

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/atq/2485297138.html

Forgot, also has perfect puzzle box.
Very pretty and and I'm going to Grand Rapids tomorrow, but I'll leave the machine for someone else.