Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-29-2011, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
My White "boat anchor" A friend knows that I love the old sewing machines, so when he saw this machine at a customer's shop by the trash, my friend asked what they were going to do with it. They replied it was just scrap metal to them or suitable to be a boat anchor. Her irons were made into a table :cry: , and the cabinet was trashed out and rotten. Well, I'm gonna see what I can do with her. She got a good oiling and surface cleaning, and she moves right along. She will get the spa treatment in a couple of days, but sadly her decals are pretty shot. I just couldn't stand to think of her being trashed out.

Texas Jan
If you can get it to where it is sewing nicely then you have a perfect candidate for a repaint!!

Billy
That's exactly what I have in mind for her.

Texas Jan
Old 09-29-2011, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
My White "boat anchor" A friend knows that I love the old sewing machines, so when he saw this machine at a customer's shop by the trash, my friend asked what they were going to do with it. They replied it was just scrap metal to them or suitable to be a boat anchor. Her irons were made into a table :cry: , and the cabinet was trashed out and rotten. Well, I'm gonna see what I can do with her. She got a good oiling and surface cleaning, and she moves right along. She will get the spa treatment in a couple of days, but sadly her decals are pretty shot. I just couldn't stand to think of her being trashed out.

Texas Jan
Hopefully it will sew well!! I understand that Whites make beautiful stitches.
I hope it sews well. Beautiful stitches are the only "beauty" it has right now. lol
Texas Jan
Old 09-29-2011, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
I just put the Nelco sewing machine up for sale on the Board, if anyone is interested.

Texas Jan
You have to be a regular member to sell anything here. I'm guessing your for sale post was deleted.
Well, I didn't know that. It is $50.00.

Texas Jan
Texas Jan, I'd think you are a regular member since you joined in 2010 - even if it doesn't say that under your name, and you don't post much! By the way, I love the looks of that two-tone machine!

Nancy
Old 09-29-2011, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
Do all the model 15 machines take the same bobbin?
Yes, they do!

Nancy
Old 09-29-2011, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
They all take a class 15 bobbin, yes. However....my FW also takes a class 15, but I can't use the bobbins from my FW in my 15-91 for some reason....
Charlee are you sure about that one? My FW's all take a skinner bobbin than a class 15? It is a special FW bobbin that the 301 also takes. I have never tried a class 15 bobbin in a FW?

Nancy
Old 09-29-2011, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
I am ssssooooo bummed out. I just brought home a new baby. She is a Spartan. I checked and checked and checked and I can't find anything wrong with her. No lint, no caked on oil, her tension works fine, her bobbin area is immaculate, she sews a very nice stitch. Nothing for me to do. sigh. No, I'm not really bummed out. I'm thrilled. She takes the same bobbins the Singer 403 I use a lot uses. Well, she does have 2 flaws. A little scratch or two in her paint and the top of her case needs to be re-glued. She does not own a light. She came with a slant zipper foot and a button in her mostly dust free box. Oh and her wires are NEW and her bobbin winder is NEW and her belt is NEW. Her motor runs flat out fast.
Miriam, I love the Spartan's! A friend of mine just picked up a Spartan that had been converted to a HC at the TOGA we went to this month! Geeze, it was so cute with the spoked wheel and HC!

Nancy
Old 09-29-2011, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by deplaylady
Okay - I got the 15. I have a question. It measures about 7" under the harp and is about 14 1/2" by 7" - about the size of my 99. But the tension is on the front and by the serial numbers, it says its a 15. I thought they were bigger. Its all right by me, I want to put a crank on it (and I have one here handy!) and it is sure heavy enough already. I just had a question about it.
Deplaylady, that machine is not the size of a 99. A 99 or 28/128 measures 6.5"'s by 12"s - about 3/4's the size of a regular machine. I was really excited when you described this machine as the same size as your 99 - that would have made it an anomaly - very exciting! But, your machine at 14.5"s long is a regular size machine. Sorry to tell you this!

But, on a good note do you realize how rare it is to find a 15 with the Tiffany/Gingerbread decals! I'd love to own one!
Nancy
Old 09-29-2011, 06:22 AM

Texas Jan
I have one of those in good condition that is electric, and it has a huge space for jamming the quilt into, and sews nicely. I think you will like it once you get it going. (Also have one that needs a treadle base...still looking for that.)
Old 09-29-2011, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Charlee
They all take a class 15 bobbin, yes. However....my FW also takes a class 15, but I can't use the bobbins from my FW in my 15-91 for some reason....
Charlee are you sure about that one? My FW's all take a skinner bobbin than a class 15? It is a special FW bobbin that the 301 also takes. I have never tried a class 15 bobbin in a FW?

Nancy
:) Nope! Not sure at all...someone told me that the FW took a class 15 tho...and I never verified it. I do know that they won't work in my 15-91 or vice versa... hmmmmm...that shoulda been my first clue?
:oops: :lol:
Old 09-29-2011, 06:30 AM

Ok...so does anyone know what machine the Boye 17 shuttle fits? I THINK it's New Home...not sure at all!

Seems that the Boye 13 shuttle fits a variety of Badged machines...

Still haven't checked my White #8 to see if either will fit it... The bobbin things tickle me...a whopping 5 cents...not sure if that's each for for the whole metal slider full...