Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 12-28-2011, 02:09 PM

Hi! I'm Cathy. I just joined the Quilting Board. So many people at the TOGA at my house yesterday were talking about this board that I just had to jump on and take a look. WOW! I recognize so many names. Even Miz Johnny who I had the fun of meeting at the ISMACS convention in Nashville in October.

I collect vintage sewing machines. I love working on the mechanical wonders much more than sewing on them.
I do quilt some and when time allows I do sew some craft type things. My time tends to be limited as I am away from home 3 to 4 days a weeks taking care of my elderly mother and working at my job near her home.

I hope that I can contribute something useful now and then.

Cathy (AKA Kaki)
Old 12-28-2011, 02:14 PM

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you all. I did pick up that Davis Vertical Feed, and yes, Candace, it was in Santa Rosa. At first I was taken aback by the presser foot, but have discovered it had an extra foot on. Once I got up the nerve to unscrew it, it looks like it should. I have some pictures, taken with an IPod, so not the best of quality. It is supposed to put the picture with attachment on first...

It turned out that I was able to fit the whole thing in the back of the Geo with the back seat down. Didn't even need to put the head in the feet area. Gotta tell ya, I was relieved I didn't need to give my sister Dawn bus money or tell her I'd be back in four hours to pick her up! It occurred to me way too late I should have taken a picture of it back there. Bummer.

It also came with a manual, (folded) but I'm worried about ripping it since it's so old. The man I bought it from said he bought it 40 years ago (at around 17 or 18 years old)from a friend because he liked how it looked, and it had been following him around ever since.

Unfortunately, it will be a while before I can bring the pretty one in-- gotta make room.
Attached Thumbnails attachment.jpg   without-attachment.jpg   davis-vf.jpg  
Old 12-28-2011, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Umm....I was talking about the TOGA event and that I wasn't into treadles though some of the info there would carry over to electric machines. Don't know what I did to anger you today....
Between your one post of his web site looking messy and the other post on info carries over to e-machines with sentence following that you do pretty well with fixing machines minus cams, I read differently than what you may have intended. Your postings came across differently to me, unclear what your intent or direction in your posts.
You are entitled to your opinion about his site. While, I, the lay person, in my opinion find it not a messy site to navigate, very easy and clear. And since I have met Ray White and he isn't on this board, I came to his defense... simple as that.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
Hi! I'm Cathy. I just joined the Quilting Board. So many people at the TOGA at my house yesterday were talking about this board that I just had to jump on and take a look. WOW! I recognize so many names. Even Miz Johnny who I had the fun of meeting at the ISMACS convention in Nashville in October.

I collect vintage sewing machines. I love working on the mechanical wonders much more than sewing on them.
I do quilt some and when time allows I do sew some craft type things. My time tends to be limited as I am away from home 3 to 4 days a weeks taking care of my elderly mother and working at my job near her home.

Cathy (AKA Kaki)
Cathy, It is good to see you here!!! Again, thank you for opening your home to all for another excellent Mini TOGA.
Seeing all the different machines that had some type of attachment for converting the machines into a chain stitch machine was interesting and educational. And as Nancy stated, the ingenuity during the time of designing these vintage machines was truly amazing.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:39 PM

Nancy,
Here is your Pfaff in treadle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgIMxlpYxaw
Just google Pfaff in treadle for the images. Sorry to hear about the hinges. Can your husband modify the cabinet/hinge to make it work? Or are you going to hunt for another hinge pin that works?
Old 12-28-2011, 03:45 PM

Monica,

It was very interesting to see the different machines that can convert from lock stitch to chain stitch. Every one was different. My White Rotary used a special stitch plate and what looked very similar to it's regular hook and race. Your Standard used a cute looking "spider" and I think a special stitch plate. My Domestic VS used a spider and special stitch plate. Bernie's Singer 412 used a special threading pattern, a special thread guide and a special throat plate.

I wonder how many other machines can convert between lock stitch and chain stitch? i know that the Singer Touch and sews can also convert.

I'm glad that you have a good time at the TOGA.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:47 PM

Monica,

I think we worked out the hinge problem for Nancy. I found 2 more hinges. Her husband thinks they will work.
I'll get them to her tomorrow or Saturday.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:54 PM

Cathy (AKA Kaki)

Welcome from Louisiana!! Ditto on the not much time due to work and mother care, but glad to have you here. We never know who will have the answer to our questions, so we just ask away. I myself found this board when I was researching a machine I had picked up, not knowing that there was a support group for sewing machine-aholics. I can't wait to see some of your machine pics.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:06 PM

Monica,

It was very interesting to see the different machines that can convert from lock stitch to chain stitch. Every one was different. My White Rotary used a special stitch plate and what looked very similar to it's regular hook and race. Your Standard used a cute looking "spider" and I think a special stitch plate. My Domestic VS used a spider and special stitch plate. Bernie's Singer 412 used a special threading pattern, a special thread guide and a special throat plate.

I wonder how many other machines can convert between lock stitch and chain stitch? i know that the Singer Touch and sews can also convert.

I'm glad that you have a good time at the TOGA.
OMG! I had a Touch and Sew (throw) for just a very short period. I don't recall it having an attachment for converting it to chain, but I do recall the instruction manual stating it could make a chain stitch. I was not in love with that machine. If an attachment was not required for making a chain stitch, I now wish I taken the time to see if it would produce a chain stitch. Doubt it though since it was a true Touch and Throw.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:08 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
OMG! I had a Touch and Sew (throw) for just a very short period. I don't recall it having an attachment for converting it to chain, but I do recall the instruction manual stating it could make a chain stitch. I was not in love with that machine. If an attachment was not required for making a chain stitch, I now wish I taken the time to see if it would produce a chain stitch. Doubt it though since it was a true Touch and Throw.
That may be the best use of one of those stupid pieces of junk...