Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1496 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 496 996 1396 1446 1486 1495 1496 1497 1506 1546 1596 ... LastLast
Results 37,376 to 37,400 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Miriam, I'm not much for the White sewing machines, but I'd be on that one like white on rice....just for the cabinet!
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    Miriam, I'm not much for the White sewing machines, but I'd be on that one like white on rice....just for the cabinet!
    too far for me - well actually it is the time... price is right.
    Never let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Blog Entries
    GOIN' CAMPIN'!!!

We leave tomorrow after work to head out for a couple of days of camping! Tuesday, we have our "Annual Dinner Party at the Lake"...so far we have 16 guests coming for dinner, which will be:
    stuffed porkchop with an orange glaze
    sweet potatoes
    bacon wrapped asparagus
    salad, bread rolls
    triple berry cobbler with homemade ice cream.

All cooked in cast iron dutch ovens at the camp site. We always have a good time at these parties, and everyone is usually surprised to see what can be done with the cast iron and charcoal!

And yes! I'm taking my handcrank Singer 28K!!
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

Blog Entries
    GOIN' CAMPIN'!!!

We leave tomorrow after work to head out for a couple of days of camping! Tuesday, we have our "Annual Dinner Party at the Lake"...so far we have 16 guests coming for dinner, which will be:
    stuffed porkchop with an orange glaze
    sweet potatoes
    bacon wrapped asparagus
    salad, bread rolls
    triple berry cobbler with homemade ice cream.

All cooked in cast iron dutch ovens at the camp site. We always have a good time at these parties, and everyone is usually surprised to see what can be done with the cast iron and charcoal!

And yes! I'm taking my handcrank Singer 28K!!
    Charlee have fun on your trip Pat and I sure did. Miriam and Phil are the best. Charlee I think you and William should come down and visit with us. You did not mention anything about my nice little singer 12. If you come I think we can get Miriam and Phil to come to.

Skip
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Blog Entries
    Skip.....I'd LOVE to come visit!

That Singer 12 with the MOP was supposed to be mine...when can I expect you to send it?

Did you get my email about Anamarie's cabinet?

Blog Entries
    Skip.....I'd LOVE to come visit!

That Singer 12 with the MOP was supposed to be mine...when can I expect you to send it?

Did you get my email about Anamarie's cabinet?
    No I did not get the email or maybe I did and have answered it. So much going on I really don't remember. You can send it again please. I don't think Pat will let me give the 12 up. LOL I would love to have you and William come you will have a guest house all to youselves. We can send Pat and William out shopping for whatever and we can play with machines or we will all go antiquing. It would be fun.

Skip
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Charlee have fun on your trip Pat and I sure did. Miriam and Phil are the best. Charlee I think you and William should come down and visit with us. You did not mention anything about my nice little singer 12. If you come I think we can get Miriam and Phil to come to.

Skip
    yup we might just manage it - I think it would be a hoot! Charlee you would just love Pat - we could all go to the mall - antique mall...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    yup we might just manage it - I think it would be a hoot! Charlee you would just love Pat - we could all go to the mall - antique mall...
    What about me don't you love me too.
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn View Post
    what about me don't you love me too. :d
    oh good grief

Blog Entries
    oh good grief
    I have been doing some research on the little machine you gave me and it is just like my Davis. the Davis shuttle fits it and it will sew so will clean it up and see what it looks like all shiny and clean. It fits the Davis cabinet. Boy does it need some work and will keep you posted. It is most likely a badged machine by Davis so I will call it "The Glenn"
    Glenn W. Cleveland

(Sitting down in the machine shop....) I have this machine. It's a New Home Light Running treadle. When I got it, it was not moving at all. I've mentioned this here before....I figured out which part of the machine was stuck...a bar that runs across the bottom center that connects the gear at the right to the bobbin case at the left. The two bushings were completely corroded and not moving at all. After some soaking in PB Blaster...I was finally able to get them removed. I've polished off the gunk and rust that was on the bar inside the bushing. Now it moves, but as I tighten the screws down, it grows progressively stiffer. It moves, but it's so stiff...can't imagine it will treadle well. Should I polish the rod some more? steel wool? sand paper? I would really like this machine to work, not ready to give up just yet. Any suggestions?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I have been doing some research on the little machine you gave me and it is just like my Davis. the Davis shuttle fits it and it will sew so will clean it up and see what it looks like all shiny and clean. It fits the Davis cabinet. Boy does it need some work and will keep you posted. It is most likely a badged machine by Davis so I will call it "The Glenn"
    You could call it "The Cleveland" but that would be lotsa letters to fit on that little machine. I'm glad you have it figured out. It is a very cute little machine.

Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    I'm not so much concerned with the quality of stitching, or holes or runs, but that this goofy machine will not sew the fleece.
    By will not sew I'm saying that when the needle goes down it takes the thread with it, and when it comes back up it the thread does not make a bow or what ever you call it for the hook to catch. It will do this with all other fabrics though, just not fleece.
    Joe
    One thing about fleece is it will dull your needle faster than any other fabric. When I use fleece on my serger, I have to keep one knife as a dedicated fleece only knife. And I noticed you're substituting serger needles in your machine so they fit. It may be the serger needles can't handle the fleece, not that your machine can't handle the fleece.

It also sounds like the scarf on the serger needle might not exactly match the extinct needles the Kenmore uses. This may be the problem with the missing tie/bow.
    Bernina 640, Singer 201-3, Singer Centennial 15-91, Tin Lizzie 26" long arm

And thanks for the help with my 201 Joe!

Blog Entries
    This one is unidentified. Glenn don't know either. There is a motor but it is a Domestic motor. Nice case - probably not original.
    Name:  old long bobbin sewing machine 006.JPG
Views: 321
Size:  129.9 KB

Name:  old long bobbin sewing machine 001.JPG
Views: 307
Size:  123.6 KB

Name:  old long bobbin sewing machine 005.JPG
Views: 300
Size:  127.4 KB
    Last edited by miriam; 08-13-2012 at 04:29 AM.

Blog Entries
    I don't know why the pics don't all show. Anybody ever see a case for long bobbins?
Views: 332

Miriam,

I've never seen one like that, but I could sure use it. I've got 5 running .... I think it's 5 ..... long bobbin machines.

Joe

Going to pick this one up tomorrow. I love this decal design Haven't seen one for sale though.
    http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/clt/3138805031.html

Quote Originally Posted by jennb View Post
    Going to pick this one up tomorrow. I love this decal design Haven't seen one for sale though.
    Love the decals on this one! Do post photos when you get her cleaned up? You don't see this style often.

I watched "How to make an American Quilt" last night for the umpteenth time. I know you've probably watched this movie a lot too, right? This movie has subtle life messages in it, and some not so subtle. Each time I watch it something new stands out. For instance, last night there was a scene where one woman says the hardest thing about being friends with women is that they're women. Some women can be nasty and mean. She lost her husband to cancer a year before, and although she joined the other women in they're quilting task, it seemed she was singled out as the one they picked on, and with no good reason. I thought she handled their treatment of her graciously and with forbearance.

As the movie progresses, we're shown the various struggles each woman has had in her life. The only woman whose life was picture perfect was the woman they picked on. She had a wonderful relationship with her husband, she missed him terribly. A husband of one of the other women targeted her vulnerability, and was rebuffed. Her character, out of all the women, was notably the most sterling.

When I see women picking on someone, (it happens to all us) I try to keep this in mind, you don't know what they've gone through in life. The mere fact that they're picking at you, is proof they have some struggle going on. Sometimes I fail, and lash back, but most times I absorb it... and let it roll of my back at a later time.

Anyway, these are just thoughts running through my head this morning. How's your morning going?
    Last edited by Christine-; 08-13-2012 at 05:48 AM.

Blog Entries
    I don't know why the pics don't all show. Anybody ever see a case for long bobbins?
Views: 332
    Like Joe, I could use a case like that. I've only got one machine with bobbins but it came with like 8 bobbins. Interesting that it's a plastic case.
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jennb View Post
    Jenn, are those the pheasant decals? They look great and you don't see them often here in Kansas either.
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure if anyone would be interested in a couple of old motors that I would like to give away. One motor I took off a Singer Spartan and it has the foot pedal, belt and the plug to plug it into an electrical socket. I never plugged it in to see if it worked. The other motor is off a Singer 99, it has a light fixture attached to it, but no foot pedal or electrical plug. I haven't taken any pictures, but I can if you need to see them.

If anyone is interested, please PM me. I can mail them out on Saturday, August 17th.

.... Anybody ever see a case for long bobbins?

Hi Miriam,

A company made a clear plastic box available back as early as 1951 that was called a “Reynolds Bobbin Box”. It came as either a “Rotary Bobbin Box” or a “Vibrator Bobbin Box”.

Made of Lifetime plastic, virtually indestructible, can’t tip or spill contents, and the user could select any color of thread at a glance. Not sure if yours is a Reynolds, but they’ve been around.

CD in Oklahoma
    Last edited by ThayerRags; 08-13-2012 at 08:16 AM.
    "I sew, I sew, so it's off to work I go!!!"
    ThayerRags Fabric Center
    http://thayerrags.com/

Great price for such rare pheasant decals!!!!! I've only seen a few, usually trashed, and I managed to acquire 2 decent ones. Lucky you!