Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-28-2011, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Miz Johnny I had never heard the term "Vindex B" type of tension. Does that mean all those type machines fall under that category? Like my New Home T No 3 with the same tension setup?

Nancy
No, it was just a reference to the Vindex B top tension, rather than say a VB front tension.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by mpeters1200
2. Since I have to put the needles into the singer 66 sideways, it won't accommodate a double needle will it?
No. Double needles only work on ZZ machines. SS machines have only a very small opening for the needle.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:13 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Kas
I just found a 66 redeye with a backclamp foot and lots of extra feet in the box. It had an electric motor and the guy at the antique shop said it wasn't for sale because it didn't work! I am a terrible negotiator. It is missing the pin for the thread spool, but has the throat plate (even though it is rusty) which my other redeye is missing. How do I handle this guy? It is going to take lots of cleaning, but not as much as Helen required. I really don't want to spend more than $40 on it.
The box of back clamping feet alone is worth at least the $40. Just tell the guy you would like to buy it, but it's a huge restoration job, probably involving a lot more investment (true!) so all you can offer is... (fill in the blank). That's what I'd do. If he wants more than you think it's worth, just leave it. Remember there were MILLIONS of the 66s made and they virtually never wear out, so you will be able to find another.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:16 PM
Power Poster

More reports of the storms down here... death toll is now up to 248 confirmed dead. The worst was in the Tuscaloosa, AL area, where one of the tornadoes was on the ground for TWO HOURS, which is unheard of! Whole towns were wiped off the map. 600 people were treated in hospitals there and half the day's death toll came from that area. But 6 states were involved, in all.

Is the Lord trying to get our attention?
Old 04-28-2011, 12:17 PM

Kas, As of 6ish last evening, Glen was okay, but had lost some trees. My son working in that area said the tornadoes weren't over when he (my son) was going out to start helping with the clean up. He called me at 6:30.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:17 PM

Wow Billy! I am sure happy to hear you and your family are well and that the damage is minimal in comparison to others! So happy too, that all your machines are ok :)
Old 04-28-2011, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
More reports of the storms down here... death toll is now up to 248 confirmed dead. The worst was in the Tuscaloosa, AL area, where one of the tornadoes was on the ground for TWO HOURS, which is unheard of! Whole towns were wiped off the map. 600 people were treated in hospitals there and half the day's death toll came from that area. But 6 states were involved, in all.

Is the Lord trying to get our attention?
I am sure He is! We always hear of bad things happening in far off places and think it will never happen to us, but it can. My heart goes out to all the folks living in these troubled times.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:33 PM

Hello to everyone! I just won a 1948 Singer FW 221. I am starting from the ground floor concerning educating myself about this wonderful machine. Can I use needles that I already own? e.g. Schmetz.... TIA
Old 04-28-2011, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by sew wishful
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Well, not only do I not have a pic (readily available, that is)...I also don't have the right make of machine...it's a Rotary machine not Kenmore. It is a krinkle finish. Sews a pretty stitch, but it keeps breaking thread after about 8-10- inches. I'm pretty sure it's a simple threading error. I'll keep hunting for pics.
Randa, can you post a picture of the whole machine? It looks really cute from just the face plate.

Nancy
Here you go....I have a couple more I'll send.
Randa, That machine looks like a younger Graybar. Here are some more pictures of mine for comparison. Yours looks much nicer! Did you get yours to stitch correctly for you?
I just got the threading directions from redbugsullivan, so as soon as I get a free moment I'll rethread and try again. I'm nearly positive my problem was in threading it. Who would have thought you wind the thread totally around the tension knob??!! Redbug scanned her manual for me so I no longer have to guess about it. I figure mine is from the '40's, wouldn't you think? I've been told the krinkle rough finish was from that time. Any way to know for sure??
That was what I was showing in my photos that I posted( sorry that they were blurred). Yours looks like it threads the same way. Nice looking machine!
Old 04-28-2011, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Joeysnana
Hello to everyone! I just won a 1948 Singer FW 221. I am starting from the ground floor concerning educating myself about this wonderful machine. Can I use needles that I already own? e.g. Schmetz.... TIA
This machine will use Schmetz needles. That is what I used when I had my FW 221. Kathie