Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-24-2012, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor View Post
All Mason machines are really White manufactured. He was an agent selling them and acting like he was the mfg, seems to me I read it on Ismacs.

Texas Jan
The opinions vary, I believe... I know there are several that believe all AG Mason machines were produced by White... and it seems just as many believe that they were only produced by White after 1916... who knows for sure? LOL
Old 05-24-2012, 03:30 PM

I posted a picture of my featherweight quite close to the start of this thread of over 871 pages ..... Yesterday & today I have spent many hours trying to find a basic clean up process for it on these pages. I have watched some wonderful youtube videos but they're for vintage machines.... is there some place on this section that is dedicated to strictly the featherweight? So far every place that I have managed to open on my machine is nice & clean, except tonight I vacuumed out the accumulated dust under the feed dog area. My machine looks like it is stitching perfectly but once the area is finished & I look at it, it seems to be a little gathered. I am not wanting to take all the front tension disks off if at all possible. Can someone please post to show me where to be looking here for specifically the Featherweight, rather than just other vintage machines?
Old 05-24-2012, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Havplenty View Post
hi joe,

i have 2 felt wicks in my 15-91. i didn't see any info about them in my instruction booklet so really didn't know what they were for. so from this post i am assume they are necessary and serve a function. i know my book said to oil there though i'm not sure if the wicks should be changed often.
If you are talking about the felt wicks in the motor grease pots, those are leaverights. Leave her right there. Fill the pots with Singer Motor Lube and put the caps back on just like it says in the owners manual.

Otherwise I can't visualize where there would be felt wicks on a 15-91. Can you elaborate?

The felt wicks I was referring too are on the bobbin carrier latch. They lube the oscillating hook as it oscillates.

If you'll go to { http://www.tfsr.org/publications/tec...machine_manual } and read the section about the bobbins and lower tension you'll see the part about the wicks.
It just so happens all but one of my machines are missing that part, and on the one that has one, it is pretty worn out.

Joe
Old 05-24-2012, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
I posted a picture of my featherweight quite close to the start of this thread of over 871 pages ..... Yesterday & today I have spent many hours trying to find a basic clean up process for it on these pages. I have watched some wonderful youtube videos but they're for vintage machines.... is there some place on this section that is dedicated to strictly the featherweight? So far every place that I have managed to open on my machine is nice & clean, except tonight I vacuumed out the accumulated dust under the feed dog area. My machine looks like it is stitching perfectly but once the area is finished & I look at it, it seems to be a little gathered. I am not wanting to take all the front tension disks off if at all possible. Can someone please post to show me where to be looking here for specifically the Featherweight, rather than just other vintage machines?
Did you use the search feature on this forum above to do a search? How about google? There are many threads on FW's here, though I'm not certain about one that focuses on cleaning a FW. Most of the threads on cleaning vintage machines are for general vintage machines. Meaning the tips and hints can be carried over to all vintage machines. I would imagine there has to be a site on the internet, that focuses on FW cleaning, though.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Hehe, that's my machine that I'm selling. I have to make room if I'm going to justify new purchases. I have someone that wants to buy it, but we'll see if he shows....
Candace,
That's a nice machine. It would be a nice companion to my Alden. I wish we were closer and I had more money.

Joe
Old 05-24-2012, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Candace,
That's a nice machine. It would be a nice companion to my Alden. I wish we were closer and I had more money.

Joe
It is a nice machine and it's hard for me to let any of my machines go.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:18 PM

You all must live where it is really warm if you don't have any wool snow boot liners around. lol I got lots of em
Old 05-24-2012, 05:38 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
For Christmas my sister and I cleaned up my moms - we took pictures... Here is the thread: http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...t-t174236.html
maybe you will see something there that will help you clean yours.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:39 PM

Hey all, I'm back. Daughter graduated from high school and I survived the in-laws visits. MIL now stands for martyr-in-law in my book cuz that's what she is. Sorry to have been gone for so long and not answered the questions about Fritz.

As to Fritz- I don't know the year of manufacture but guess early 50s and the silver knob thingy is the stitch regulator. That can be interesting because if it is not set correctly, you can do some zigzagging, then straight stitching, then back to zigzagging, then straight and on and on and on ad infinitum. He is a very handsome machine and I figured sonce the vintage machines seemed to be breeding like bunnies, I needed at least one manly male machine to be the daddy of the bunch. The bobbins for Fritz are interchangeable with both my 301 and my 2 FWs. I mostly keep forgetting that but occasionally use a bobbin from Fritz's stash for the 301. Fritz is a true gentleman and came with almost 20 bobbins.

DH bought me a 2nd FW for mother's day plus a vintage quilt - a Sunbonnet Sue and Sam. Please refresh my memory as to where the serial numbers are located on the FW. I can't seem to find it but lately couldn't find my way out of a wet paper bag due to exhaustion.

Last edited by chris_quilts; 05-24-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:57 PM

The fw number is on the bottom of machine near the bobbin area.